Gapes and Wails

Rod

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, ACE said:

Those were a great machine in their day 

I was coming off an 89 Formula Mach 1 and that MXZ was night and day better. My buddy ordered a F3…cool sled but kind of a pig and IIRC it liked pistons.🤔

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

40 minutes ago, ACE said:

Those were a great machine in their day 

Yeah my buddy had one and it ran great. I wanted the 670 for 98 but they were sold out at the dealer and they steered my towards the 98 FIII 😠 Now I can’t shake these triples lol

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Skidooski said:

Yeah my buddy had one and it ran great. I wanted the 670 for 98 but they were sold out at the dealer and they steered my towards the 98 FIII 😠 Now I can’t shake these triples lol

Those formula 3’s left a lot on the table. My bud did some mods to his and it was a lot faster.

2 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Those formula 3’s left a lot on the table. My bud did some mods to his and it was a lot faster.

Yep......Once we got the PTO crank bearing issue figured out it got the cylinder shim, head cut, DynoPort pipes, shorter front shocks and a 1.25" track

4 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Yep......Once we got the PTO crank bearing issue figured out it got the cylinder shim, head cut, DynoPort pipes, shorter front shocks and a 1.25" track

In 98 they spaced out the PTO bearings wider for stability but then IMO the outer bearing was too far from the inner one and couldn’t scavenge any oil and ran too dry…

they did have a hole cast in place for oiling but never drilled it out. Pretty common to drill that out now so at least the outer bearing gets some oil 

31 minutes ago, ACE said:

In 98 they spaced out the PTO bearings wider for stability but then IMO the outer bearing was too far from the inner one and couldn’t scavenge any oil and ran too dry…

they did have a hole cast in place for oiling but never drilled it out. Pretty common to drill that out now so at least the outer bearing gets some oil 

Exactly what my dealer did when the first two cranks went out after 1500 miles or so each. Third one they told me Doo wouldn't cover another one but they drilled the case for the oiling mod. Even now I do that to all my triples so I don't have to mess with Isoflex. My Price 1000 has the fatty PTO bearing but that fucker walked out of the case on the dyno 

Edited by Skidooski

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

Exactly what my dealer did after the first two cranks went out after 1500 miles or so each. Third one they told me Doo wouldn't cover another one but they drilled the case for the oiling mod. Even now I do that to all my triples so I don't have to mess with Isoflex. My Price 1000 has the fatty PTO but that fucker walked out of the case on the dyno 

Isoflex is trash 

I haven’t had PTO bearing issues since drilling then and using the steel cage bearings instead of the plastic ones 

once you have that sorted they’re actually pretty deadly engines. I think the pre 98 motors were more reliable 

all other triples seem to have shitty water pump setups. Rotax don’t. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one fail and if they do they’re really easy to service 

1 minute ago, ACE said:

Isoflex is trash 

I haven’t had PTO bearing issues since drilling then and using the steel cage bearings instead of the plastic ones 

once you have that sorted they’re actually pretty deadly engines. I think the pre 98 motors were more reliable 

all other triples seem to have shitty water pump setups. Rotax don’t. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one fail and if they do they’re really easy to service 

Only water pump I've seen flat out fail had the gears put in wrong and the plastic gear got stripped out