dbury Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs has a plan as sledding season and record Covid-19 cases collide

Poncho

Ontario's COVID-19 restriction levels

Ontario's new framework classes public health regions into five levels, including lockdown

Lockdown

Red

(Control)

Orange

(Restrict)

Yellow

(Protect)

Green

(Prevent)

Riders in orange and red zones urged not to use trails connecting into green and yellow zones

I guess it means if you live anywhere in a red or orange zone you pretty much can’t go riding. Lol

Edited by Poncho

• Platinum Contributing Member

I read that. There was something in there too about listing sections of the trail where it crosses over (from red to orange say) will be shown as Unavailable on the ITG.

Here:

"So if you're in a red region or an orange region, you may be able to ride within that region," explains Baker. "But according to the connecting trails to other regions that may not be in a red or an orange restricted levels, we would be temporarily making them unavailable between them, where we're allowing people to ride within their local region, but not enabling them to go to areas where the more stringent regulations ask for essential travel only."

Baker knows it's a tough sell to tell snowmobilers not to go where the best snow may be.

"So we understand people may put them (snowmobiles) on a trailer and go around. They may trespass across and through those areas, no different than what goes on today," he says. "But we can't control that. All we can do is, is provide trails that allow people to ride and respect what's going on with yellow and green."

Complete article here https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/snowmobiles-covid-19-pandemic-colour-zones-health-ofsc-1.5847775?fbclid=IwAR1Ec9ylsoZidvle4tT2aTjOebtMv8RvEYF2OxPvf_i57Hb0TsG7qZMnDfI

Its my understanding that all trails will be shown as Yellow only for this season so as not to promote better conditions in one area over another, thus encouraging more riders to the better areas.

As the province restriction map shows right now though, I could ride from here to south Muskoka without leaving red. All I need is northern District 9 to turn to red from orange and I'll be set for the winter.....lol

Fucking shitshow coming up.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

Will grooming be allowed under lockdown?  I didn't think it was like last March when work crews were allowed.

They can't even start to gather until Jan 18th, that is going to put them way behind

No. Its in the article.

For instance, he says any trails in areas deemed locked down by the province, would not be groomed and will show as unavailable on the OFSC's interactive website.

Will clubs continue to do trail prep? There were pics on Facebook last week from Kirkland Lake club out packing. The north is to get more snow and cold at the end of the week.

Not that there's any snow anyways, but I highly doubt I will be snowmobiling this winter with the way things are looking? Certainly not going to spend the money on 1, let alone 2 permits living/riding where I normally do. If I could leave from my house/garage that would be a different story as one could sneak in a night ride, whatever, but I assume, if trails are indeed closed, then there would be no way I could drive to my CH, unload, go for a ride, come back without having a set/sets of eyes on me. I would assume that will be the case for all/most that need to trailer to ride? 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 11:09 AM, Blackstar said:

I read that. There was something in there too about listing sections of the trail where it crosses over (from red to orange say) will be shown as Unavailable on the ITG.

Here:

"So if you're in a red region or an orange region, you may be able to ride within that region," explains Baker. "But according to the connecting trails to other regions that may not be in a red or an orange restricted levels, we would be temporarily making them unavailable between them, where we're allowing people to ride within their local region, but not enabling them to go to areas where the more stringent regulations ask for essential travel only."

Baker knows it's a tough sell to tell snowmobilers not to go where the best snow may be.

"So we understand people may put them (snowmobiles) on a trailer and go around. They may trespass across and through those areas, no different than what goes on today," he says. "But we can't control that. All we can do is, is provide trails that allow people to ride and respect what's going on with yellow and green."

Complete article here https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/snowmobiles-covid-19-pandemic-colour-zones-health-ofsc-1.5847775?fbclid=IwAR1Ec9ylsoZidvle4tT2aTjOebtMv8RvEYF2OxPvf_i57Hb0TsG7qZMnDfI

Its my understanding that all trails will be shown as Yellow only for this season so as not to promote better conditions in one area over another, thus encouraging more riders to the better areas.

As the province restriction map shows right now though, I could ride from here to south Muskoka without leaving red. All I need is northern District 9 to turn to red from orange and I'll be set for the winter.....lol

Fucking shitshow coming up.

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

No. Its in the article.

For instance, he says any trails in areas deemed locked down by the province, would not be groomed and will show as unavailable on the OFSC's interactive website.

Will clubs continue to do trail prep? There were pics on Facebook last week from Kirkland Lake club out packing. The north is to get more snow and cold at the end of the week.

So stating the correct political answer that goes along with what the province is saying, I get that.....but realistically putting the words into action & enforcing them on the trails will be a challenge for the clubs that groom the trails that go between regions stopping people from going from one to the other.

All of Ontario will be locked down as of Dec 26, however even in the "lock down", sledding is allowed, so wait for some Yellow trails, go out, ride and enjoy yourself!

Bigger challenges might be finding snow, a place to stay or eat.

https://www.ofsc.on.ca/category/news-release/

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stoney said:

So stating the correct political answer that goes along with what the province is saying, I get that.....but realistically putting the words into action & enforcing them on the trails will be a challenge for the clubs that groom the trails that go between regions stopping people from going from one to the other.

All of Ontario will be locked down as of Dec 26, however even in the "lock down", sledding is allowed, so wait for some Yellow trails, go out, ride and enjoy yourself!

Bigger challenges might be finding snow, a place to stay or eat.

https://www.ofsc.on.ca/category/news-release/

I don’t believe the OFSC intends to enforce any of these actions. They are simply giving the politically correct answers as they try to stay clear of shots being fired from the clubs, the riders and the general public.

If they wanted enforcement, they would be listing the trails as closed not unavailable.

Edited by Blackstar

16 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don’t believe the OFSC intends to enforce any of these actions. They are simply giving the politically correct answers as they try to stay clear of shots being fired from the clubs, the riders and the general public.

If they wanted enforcement, they would be listing the trails as closed not unavailable.

Agreed....just lip service!

I would even go as far to say trails might show unavailable when they are, perhaps even more so this year than usual, but that is nothing new really, after all it still takes a volunteer/person to make the update happen.

• Like 1

I think its more like Toronto don't flood Cochrane with your covid they can't handle a massive outbreak 

Restaurants will be limited for the entire season no matter where you are, tough go no matter what.

I doubt doing WAP or something  like that might not work this season.  Riding from your cottage should be great

Wow you guys really have a lot of faith in the system.  No grooming for at least 28 days in the South, most likely longer as they will keep this going. I'm riding where ever I want, don't care.  Stay home if you are sick otherwise have at it.  I feel bad for O dot and other good cops cause they will be having a hard time with people this year.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Renegade X said:

Wow you guys really have a lot of faith in the system.  No grooming for at least 28 days in the South, most likely longer as they will keep this going. I'm riding where ever I want, don't care.  Stay home if you are sick otherwise have at it.  I feel bad for O dot and other good cops cause they will be having a hard time with people this year.

The OFSC changed their mind on that "No grooming during lockdown" idea since the province released their statement says snowmobiling could continue. So, there will be grooming in the south over the 28 days if there is snow and cold. Currently raining and +7 here with very little snow in the forecast.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

The OFSC changed their mind on that "No grooming during lockdown" idea since the province released their statement says snowmobiling could continue. So, there will be grooming in the south over the 28 days if there is snow and cold. Currently raining and +7 here with very little snow in the forecast.

Fak me, gonna need a boat to go ice fishing