Who's studding their sleds and what style studs you going with

Doug

I've always studded my sled even back in the day of t-nut studs and hooker tracks.  Currently using push-thru studs and have for a long time but I know some guys are giving I-grip studs and ice ripper tracks a try.  I mostly trail ride but still do the occasional lake or river ride days so I'm going to stick with push through.

20201130_204253.jpg

• Like 2

We get lots of hard crust and ice here in central nh. Lots if steep inclines too, that some will get stuck on or slide down without good studding. Push thru studs for the win.

Went a different route this year, after opting for the Storm 1.5" track.  Rather than the traditional push-thru studs I've always used, I went with the iGrip screw-in style studs.  I've basically conceded to the fact the guys I ride with don't horse around enough on the lakes any longer, to worry about hooking up with studs.  But I still want some level of traction for the bluff/valley riding around here when the trails get icy, and some of the road riding we do that can be more ice than snow.

iGrips2.jpg

iGrips1.jpg

• Like 1

• Gold Member

Never ever ran studs before.  Learned to ride in our hills without them.  Hate what they do to concrete and trailer floors.  I drive my sled into my garage after riding.  I like what you did there Bontz.  I think that is the ticket.  Be interesting to see how you like them and how they hold up.  

On 12/15/2020 at 8:45 PM, Doug said:

I've always studded my sled even back in the day of t-nut studs and hooker tracks.  Currently using push-thru studs and have for a long time but I know some guys are giving I-grip studs and ice ripper tracks a try.  I mostly trail ride but still do the occasional lake or river ride days so I'm going to stick with push through.

20201130_204253.jpg

Did you use a template for that pattern?

On 12/16/2020 at 8:25 AM, Bontz said:

Went a different route this year, after opting for the Storm 1.5" track.  Rather than the traditional push-thru studs I've always used, I went with the iGrip screw-in style studs.  I've basically conceded to the fact the guys I ride with don't horse around enough on the lakes any longer, to worry about hooking up with studs.  But I still want some level of traction for the bluff/valley riding around here when the trails get icy, and some of the road riding we do that can be more ice than snow.

iGrips2.jpg

iGrips1.jpg

how did you install them?  did someone come over and charge the battery for the cordless drill for you?

https://camso.co/en/powersports/snowmobile/products/ice-attak-xt
I'm going to go against the grain as well and try one of these in either the stock 128" length, or stretch the skid to run a 136" 

for groomed trail riding which is 96% of what I do I figure the 272 or 288 little pins will suffice and for the sled I'm putting them on with taller gearing I want to sling less weight (42 or 45lbs) than a track with studs.  in comparison to the 14" wide 1" lug studded Hacksaw speed track (34lbs unstudded) that's on it now, neither of these could be worse, I hope.       

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

On 12/15/2020 at 7:45 PM, Doug said:

20201130_204253.jpg

Same for me on push troughs. This will be the first time since early 80's though, I am not using Woodys.  Trying Fas Tracs on the 650. As far as Fas Trac backers, I've used them for 20 years or so.

MATRYXstuds.jpg

Edited by racerdave
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 8:25 AM, Bontz said:

iGrips2.jpg

iGrips1.jpg

I like these and would love to go with these but, my riding just isn't ready for it yet.  My pre-studded track just didnt get it done.  I just hate I have to run 30 fucking pounds of extra rotaional mass on my sled but, losing the "race" or ending up in the trees just seems worse.  

• Like 1

Drinking while studding a buddies sled and I left the gram scale out.  These are all Fasttrac studs and single ply plastic backers.

1.50 stud with single backer and nut = 30.38 grams   144 studs = 9.64 lbs static weight

1.38 stud with single backer and nut = 28.40 grams    144 studs = 9.02 lbs static weight

1.175 stud with single backer and nut = 25.85 grams   144 studs = 8.20 lbs static weight

Single ply single plastic backer = 6.47

Single ply double plastic backer = 15.25

• Like 1

On 12/15/2020 at 7:45 PM, Doug said:

20201130_204253.jpg

Just noticed, you didn't use tall nuts. Any reason why?

I went with the woody's gold diggers push through studs and aluminum backer plates. Last year I was looking at my track and was thinking maybe I should of used the round plastic backers instead of the aluminum ones or maybe a different pattern. 

20201221_131821.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

180 ct 1.45" Woodys Gold Diggers with a 1.35" Cobra on my '19 XC850 129"  Max speed has reached 118mph (speedo).

IT GOES & STOPS 

2,000 trouble free miles with no track wear or tear outs.

I'd do it all over again.

XC Picks.jpg

Edited by NDN

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Tripleflipper said:

Woody Gold Diggers, have been using them on all my sleds since late 90's. On my triple XCR's I ran inside and outside of rails and never a problem. With the twins have been just running inside the rails, again never a problem.

look who's here?

3 hours ago, Tripleflipper said:

Did you miss me. Are you checking an XCR this year, I did

@Crnr2Crnr is a Polaris tire kicker :lol:  He sure likes to stay involved with Polaris stuff, but he'd need a blood transfusion to remove all the GREEN in his system LOL

On the topic of studding, I changed my mind on my track option and will end up going back to studs this year vs. the screw in style.  I'm leaning towards 2-per on my 650 XCR (136) and will likely go with FastTrac 1.5's.  The other consideration is 1.45 Gold Diggers and using the Performance Stud Star backers like I did with my '18 Assault.