Vermont Weather Thread

ckf

It was -4° when I left Island Pond at 6 this morning. At the bottom of Sanderson Hill in West Charleston it was -9°. That created some sea smoke effect on Lake Willoughby's open water this morning.  On the downwind side the trees were covered in frost.

BTW..  @steve from amherst pretty much zero snow in cow country today.

20201218-DJI_0015-sunrise_toward_burke.jpg

• Platinum Contributing Member
12 hours ago, ckf said:

It was -4° when I left Island Pond at 6 this morning. At the bottom of Sanderson Hill in West Charleston it was -9°. That created some sea smoke effect on Lake Willoughby's open water this morning.  On the downwind side the trees were covered in frost.

BTW..  @steve from amherst pretty much zero snow in cow country today.

20201218-DJI_0015-sunrise_toward_burke.jpg

Kinda figured that. Lower in VT got some. This yr we are going to try the waterbury area a bit. Lotta cow there too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, $poorsledder$ said:

Awesome!  Bringing the sleds up on the 15th. 

Brighton and Norton are out tonight. Derby's Tucker passed through IP tonight too. Maybe they can get this packed down to form a base for the snow predicted throughout the week. :bc:

• Gold Member

1st post, hope to get approved. Love all the videos in the NEK. My father in law is from the area and still has a camp up off Victory road outside of Burke. Hope to be able to get up there to ride this year. 

• Like 1

I just talked to my neighbors this morning. They ice fished Island Pond yesterday. They said that there was only 3" of good ice where they were fishing. Both the father and the son said that they wouldn't ride on it yet.

The snow at my stake in Barre Town is down to 4”. The weather forecast for the next week has evening temps just below freezing and daytime temps just above freezing. No snow in the forecast. Absolute bummer.:mc:

On 1/10/2021 at 12:46 PM, Sael said:

The snow at my stake in Barre Town is down to 4”. The weather forecast for the next week has evening temps just below freezing and daytime temps just above freezing. No snow in the forecast. Absolute bummer.:mc:

I was just looking at some long range predictions. We may see a little here and there, but not a favorable pattern for the northeast.  Hopefully the 1st week of February gets stormy.

Here's a summary

While there will be some intrusions of cold air into eastern North America over the next week or two, they will be nothing out of the ordinary. Sorry, no polar vortex! There may be a day or two where temperatures end up well below normal, but for the most part, the next three weeks as a whole will likely end up close to normal or even slightly above normal for southeastern Canada and the northeastern United States.

Signs continue to point toward western Canada and perhaps the northern U.S. Rockies as the regions that will get into the true Arctic air the last 10 days of this month and into early February.

Recently, the true polar vortex has been hanging out over northern Russia and will likely continue to do so this week before it may come more around into far northwestern North America.

There will be opportunities for snow with this pattern along the front range of the Canadian Rockies (upslope snow) and in the East as the storm track may be favorable at times with just enough cold air in place.