Sawyer/Bayfield/Ashland Area

Bontz

we rode from Hayward to some bar Louie's Landing on Moose Lake and back

LOTS of rocks, snow was marginal at best, corners getting swept and a few icy, if they don't get snow asap and groom it's going to be shit by the weekend.

use old carbides if you have some and check your studs.  one guy we were talking to said they lost on skeg and several studs around Winter and Tuscobia, said the snow they did get was powdery.

there was also a newer Yellow/Silver MXZ taco'd around a tree on an easy corner in what must have been a pretty hard hit.  sled was sitting there on the tree at 1pm and still there at 5pm.  Hope the rider is ok, looked painful and the sled is toast.  no, I didn't stop to take pictures. 

for those that do head up north this weekend, be smart and be safe

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

we rode from Hayward to some bar on Moose Lake and back

LOTS of rocks, snow was marginal at best, corners getting swept and a few icy, if they don't get snow asap and groom it's going to be shit by the weekend.

use old carbides if you have some and check your studs.  one guy we were talking to said they lost on skeg and several studs around Winter and Tuscobia, said the snow they did get was powdery.

there was also a newer Yellow/Silver MXZ taco'd around a tree on an easy corner in what must have been a pretty hard hit.  sled was sitting there on the tree at 1pm and still there at 5pm.  Hope the rider is ok, looked painful and the sled is toast.  no, I didn't stop to take pictures. 

for those that do head up north this weekend, be smart and be safe

I can only imagine the amount of traffic up that way ... probably even worse as you go north towards Namakagon.  Phipps stop yet? LOL

At least you're out riding though!

On 12/30/2021 at 6:35 AM, Bontz said:

I can only imagine the amount of traffic up that way ... probably even worse as you go north towards Namakagon.  Phipps stop yet? LOL

At least you're out riding though!

For a Wednesday it was fairly busy.  Friends stayed up there at a hotel and rode on Thursday, said conditions were deteriorating fast so they left Thursday night to be home for New Years.   Glad I at least got one day in to knock the rust off myself and test the new shocks.

• Like 2

Trails were great for early season last night north of hwy 2 with the exception of trail 1 from cornucopia to herbster. It's swampy so hasn't been groomed yet. We packed it down good, hopefully with the cold weather it'll freeze up good 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
1 minute ago, cats19 said:

what are the conditions around this area now?

My sled is down so i haven't been out since last week but the trail crossings on the road look pretty good yet. Definitely going to be better north of hwy 2

• Gold Member

Just booked a cabin for next week in Iron River wi.  Heres to hoping!!  I was trying to remember where that long section of plowed road was.  I thought it was over by Delta or Lake Delta.  I burn't through a set of slides and carbides last year.  Was hoping to not do that again....

23 minutes ago, poopooforme said:

Just booked a cabin for next week in Iron River wi.  Heres to hoping!!  I was trying to remember where that long section of plowed road was.  I thought it was over by Delta or Lake Delta.  I burn't through a set of slides and carbides last year.  Was hoping to not do that again....

West out of Delta are two routes:  One is a road for a good 2+ miles, and dumps you onto the chain of lakes from Pine Point Lodge to Busky Bay Resort (Good food there).  The other way goes a little south and then west on the road for much longer, 5-7 miles if I remember correctly.  Neither of these two routes were all that great with the road running required, but the one that ran the lakes was clearly the better way to go.

I can't speak for Delta or up by Iron River, but further south in Sawyer County things were really good this past weekend.  They picked up about 6" of heavy snow, and that made for some very, VERY good, riding.  Even the heavily traveled stuff by Hayward Power Sports wasn't that bad (at least it wasn't when we were up that way Saturday morning).  I will say this much, if you're heading up this weekend and staying in that Iron River area, you're gonna be in a lot better shape than being south by Namakagon ... President's Weekend will be a zoo.

Oh, and BE SURE to not speed through Iron River - they have a 10mph section and are patrolling it VERY HEAVILY - at least they were a 3-4 weeks ago.  Guys were getting tickets at 18+ mph - we rolled by them doing 15 and they let us continue.....

18 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Oh, and BE SURE to not speed through Iron River - they have a 10mph section and are patrolling it VERY HEAVILY - at least they were a 3-4 weeks ago.  Guys were getting tickets at 18+ mph - we rolled by them doing 15 and they let us continue.....

That section along the corridor trail absolutely sucks ... freaking 10mph is ridic :wall:

2 minutes ago, Bontz said:

That section along the corridor trail absolutely sucks ... freaking 10mph is ridic :wall:

Iron river has really gone to shit the last 10 years. Used to be the busiest town in the area. Now most of the restaurants/bars are closed, all the sled/atv shops are gone. Only 1 hotel in town that's open. They sure aren't helping themselves with the LE presence on the corridor either

3 hours ago, poopooforme said:

So the two parts I have circled are the garbage road riding and the other trails out of there are ok? we are staying on lake delta

map2.jpg

Yup - but you should be able to run the edge of most of the northern route and know there’s lake in your future.  The trail to the north of Delta was good when the weekend started, and came apart by Saturday - but again, this was 4 weeks ago.

Kind of a morbid post here, but .... I see there was a fatality on Lake Namakagon this past weekend.  From what I read, a 50-year old ran into the shoreline and got thrown into a tree ... yikes.  I wasn't up there this weekend, but my buddy with a cabin near Lakewoods was, and he said the lake was an absolute zoo both Friday and Saturday nights.  Sad deal :sad:

46 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Kind of a morbid post here, but .... I see there was a fatality on Lake Namakagon this past weekend.  From what I read, a 50-year old ran into the shoreline and got thrown into a tree ... yikes.  I wasn't up there this weekend, but my buddy with a cabin near Lakewoods was, and he said the lake was an absolute zoo both Friday and Saturday nights.  Sad deal :sad:

Was that possibly on Thursday with the blowing snow that you couldn't see shit in front of your sled??  I know where I was in MN it was like that....

1 hour ago, Mag6240 said:

Was that possibly on Thursday with the blowing snow that you couldn't see shit in front of your sled??  I know where I was in MN it was like that....

The DNR report with fatalities for this year has it listed as 2/13 ... so I'm not sure if it's after 12AM (my guess) or if it's later Sunday

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Buddy of mine just stopped by, on his way home from his cabin up by Cable.  He said he went to the Namakagon Trail Groomers club meeting, and it sounds like the big bridge up by Grand View is going to be shut down (for a while) due to failing inspection.  He wasn't 100% sure on the re-route, but it sounded like it would be a road type of re-route.  That bridge repair/replacement is gonna cost a LOT of money .. I hope they can get a grant from AWSC or other donations to help offset that cost.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

Buddy of mine just stopped by, on his way home from his cabin up by Cable.  He said he went to the Namakagon Trail Groomers club meeting, and it sounds like the big bridge up by Grand View is going to be shut down (for a while) due to failing inspection.  He wasn't 100% sure on the re-route, but it sounded like it would be a road type of re-route.  That bridge repair/replacement is gonna cost a LOT of money .. I hope they can get a grant from AWSC or other donations to help offset that cost.

And this one not of land owner doing.  So many northern Sconnie trails are going road… if we could just get them to lift the plows a little!

1 hour ago, Mag6240 said:

And this one not of land owner doing.  So many northern Sconnie trails are going road… if we could just get them to lift the plows a little!

Amen!!  We've been saying that for years.  If they'd just lift the side blade up a few inches, they could leave us a nice shoulder at least.