Sawyer/Bayfield/Ashland Area

Bontz

I'm hoping some of the guys who used to provide updates on NW Wisconsin can keep the updates coming here.  We were up by Cable this past weekend, to get my buddy's new sled up to the cabin and although the snow is minimal (it was as of Saturday afternoon), the lakes all seem to be freezing up nicely!!  So that's a good start.  I know @XCR1250 Don has provided some updates around the Moose Lake area and things are freezing up pretty well in those parts too.  I know we'd all like to see snow, but I'm OK with the ice making machine first ... hopefully the snow starts adding up in time for the Holidays and we can skip the annual "Christmas Thaw" we always seem to get up there.

19 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I'm hoping some of the guys who used to provide updates on NW Wisconsin can keep the updates coming here.  We were up by Cable this past weekend, to get my buddy's new sled up to the cabin and although the snow is minimal (it was as of Saturday afternoon), the lakes all seem to be freezing up nicely!!  So that's a good start.  I know @XCR1250 Don has provided some updates around the Moose Lake area and things are freezing up pretty well in those parts too.  I know we'd all like to see snow, but I'm OK with the ice making machine first ... hopefully the snow starts adding up in time for the Holidays and we can skip the annual "Christmas Thaw" we always seem to get up there.

You should start a “MN/WI Trail Update” thread. Like @Fireball 440’s “Northshore update” thread on HCS.  That thing is a monster thread and used by literally thousands.

14 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

You should start a “MN/WI Trail Update” thread. Like @Fireball 440’s “Northshore update” thread on HCS.  That thing is a monster thread and used by literally thousands.

Since I'm in the same company as @Fireball 440 and banned, it ain't worth the hassles of creating a dupe and giving VS what they want .... generating additional clicks/traffic on their site.

• Like 3

Trail report around home is we had our trails marked for 1 week and already have 3 signs stolen.  I gave the benefit of a doubt that they fell over and walked the trail where I put them up.  Nope they are gone.  One stop sign and (2) winter wheat signs that were required to be put up by the land owner.  F....n people.

I am a little south (Chetek area) and there was just a dusting yesterday. The lakes are freezing up nicely and I will venture out next weekend.

There is a great app called Ice Reports that is useful for snowmobilers. It is where ice fisherman post the ice thicknesses. I will be posting on my area soon. I recommend everyone download it.

2 hours ago, Doug said:

Trail report around home is we had our trails marked for 1 week and already have 3 signs stolen.  I gave the benefit of a doubt that they fell over and walked the trail where I put them up.  Nope they are gone.  One stop sign and (2) winter wheat signs that were required to be put up by the land owner.  F....n people.

Thats Bull shit! Where at Doug?

16 minutes ago, racerdave said:

Thats Bull shit! Where at Doug?

This is home in Oshkosh.  We've had stop signs stolen before but why they would also take the winter wheat signs I have no idea.  I can't see another club taking them.  Within our county if we need a sign we call around to the other clubs if its needed in a hurry.  Don't me sense.  Just irritating.

Edited by Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like most of the lakes are staked, or will be staked by this week and people are out riding in the Hayward area.  I'm on the tail end of the China Flu recovery, and hoping to head up that way Friday evening for some break-in miles.  There's a storm brewing in this neck of the woods (SE Minn, NE Iowa, West/Central WI) but not sure it will provide much for the Hayward/Cable area.  From what I've heard, they're about 5"-6" away from being pretty darn good.

Down in this area, we have a dusting on the ground, so I'm hoping this storm drops a good 6"+ to give us a chance to open up the gates.  @Doug - I feel your pain on the vandalism stuff.  We have a land owner who's been treading on shutting us down the past couple years because the daughter and son-in-law are super paranoid of trespassers and affecting their deer seasons (which is a long story).  Well, just when we seem to have made progress with them we had 3 instances of some idiots who found a way to get onto the property and drive a vehicle al over hell ... including the snowmobile trail and about a 1/4 mile into the woods.  The parents who own the land understand this isn't a snowmobile issue, but the daughter and son-in-law are looking for any excuse to shut this property down .... and it's been part of our trail system for 50 years.  I hate ignorant dumbass people!!

• Like 1

Rode the washburn, cornucopia, Valhalla area last night. Trails were pretty good except up by corny they were thin on snow. Fire roads were great with very little traffic. 8 sleds at the pub n grub but didn't see any on the trails. Overall pretty good conditions for early riding

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 8:58 AM, Bontz said:

Sounds like most of the lakes are staked, or will be staked by this week and people are out riding in the Hayward area.  I'm on the tail end of the China Flu recovery, and hoping to head up that way Friday evening for some break-in miles.  There's a storm brewing in this neck of the woods (SE Minn, NE Iowa, West/Central WI) but not sure it will provide much for the Hayward/Cable area.  From what I've heard, they're about 5"-6" away from being pretty darn good.

Down in this area, we have a dusting on the ground, so I'm hoping this storm drops a good 6"+ to give us a chance to open up the gates.  @Doug - I feel your pain on the vandalism stuff.  We have a land owner who's been treading on shutting us down the past couple years because the daughter and son-in-law are super paranoid of trespassers and affecting their deer seasons (which is a long story).  Well, just when we seem to have made progress with them we had 3 instances of some idiots who found a way to get onto the property and drive a vehicle al over hell ... including the snowmobile trail and about a 1/4 mile into the woods.  The parents who own the land understand this isn't a snowmobile issue, but the daughter and son-in-law are looking for any excuse to shut this property down .... and it's been part of our trail system for 50 years.  I hate ignorant dumbass people!!

you got the Vid eh?  

here in northcentral Wisco (Marathon/Lincoln/Langlade) it's pretty thin and not looking promising.  rivers, creeks and swamps aren't solidified at all - some lakes are being fished and some moron already dropped a vehicle in.  

looking at the 'map' it looks like there's only three counties that are relatively open.  Snowmobile Trail Conditions | Wisconsin Snow Report | Travel Wisconsin

I work just off the highway on 51/39 and saw a LOT of rigs with trailers and sleds heading north the past couple days, so it must be awfully crowded in NW Wisco and the UP.  guess I'll be patient and wait until there's better snow and more people have dispersed to other areas to avoid the mayhem. 

10 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

you got the Vid eh?  

here in northcentral Wisco (Marathon/Lincoln/Langlade) it's pretty thin and not looking promising.  rivers, creeks and swamps aren't solidified at all - some lakes are being fished and some moron already dropped a vehicle in.  

looking at the 'map' it looks like there's only three counties that are relatively open.  Snowmobile Trail Conditions | Wisconsin Snow Report | Travel Wisconsin

I work just off the highway on 51/39 and saw a LOT of rigs with trailers and sleds heading north the past couple days, so it must be awfully crowded in NW Wisco and the UP.  guess I'll be patient and wait until there's better snow and more people have dispersed to other areas to avoid the mayhem. 

I have a hunch Wisconsin is gonna be ugly this year as far as traffic goes.  With the way Michigan and Minnesota are being forced to shut everything down, Wisconsin is the only place that's even remotely "normal" if people are looking to make stops throughout the day.  I've got a couple buddies who are up in Cable for their annual New Year's trip, so it'll be interesting to hear reports from them later this weekend ... I've already seen the "trails are shot!" updates from various reports.  Hopefully Mother Nature can keep up with some fresh rounds of snow to keep things going.

PS - yeah, did the whole 'Rona thing the past couple weeks and can at least say, been there done that now (thankfully not a major issue for my wife or I ...  was a glorified cold).

8 hours ago, Bontz said:

I have a hunch Wisconsin is gonna be ugly this year as far as traffic goes.  With the way Michigan and Minnesota are being forced to shut everything down, Wisconsin is the only place that's even remotely "normal" if people are looking to make stops throughout the day.  I've got a couple buddies who are up in Cable for their annual New Year's trip, so it'll be interesting to hear reports from them later this weekend ... I've already seen the "trails are shot!" updates from various reports.  Hopefully Mother Nature can keep up with some fresh rounds of snow to keep things going.

PS - yeah, did the whole 'Rona thing the past couple weeks and can at least say, been there done that now (thankfully not a major issue for my wife or I ...  was a glorified cold).

I hope we get some ridable snow here soon so I don't have to participate in the north of hwy 8 shit show.

Glad to hear the bug didn't get you or the family.  Since you work remote, where do you believe you picked it up?  

• 4 weeks later...

they are starting to get out and groom the trails which is helping out.   i was up for xmas and i had about 2 days of solid sledding then it went to crap.   3 inches yesterday more this weekend.   i do know the lakes are the best ive seen in years. heading up this weekend ill report back 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

looks like cold weathers coming to help freeze those lakes.   would like about 2 weeks of cold weather than let the snow fly.   Deerfoot posted a video looks like the lakes are starting to get icy.  

10 hours ago, Bradd said:

looks like cold weathers coming to help freeze those lakes.   would like about 2 weeks of cold weather than let the snow fly.   Deerfoot posted a video looks like the lakes are starting to get icy.  

I was up in the Ojibwa/Winter area for part of deer season, and some of the lakes were starting to skim over.  But I don't know what the warmer temps and wind did by the end of the day Tuesday and yesterday.  A bit of a ways to go, obviously, but it's at least better than 50 degree temps consistently.  One month from today is Christmas, so hopefully Mother Nature & Old Man Winter can get busy by then.  

• 1 month later...