2008-2014 Sno Pro Race Chassis

Crnr2Crnr

grey area, as the 2008-2011 600 SX & XC are the same chassis as the 2010-2014 Sno Pro 500.

good news is, @mnstang & @Fast 440 are here, so that's about 60% of us that used the one particular forum on the site that no longer deserves our attention.

oh, and Facebook sucks

• Like 1

Facebook sucks so bad.  I'm on a bunch of the cat groups and they all suck and I have to try really hard to not be more of a dick than I even come off as.  But there's just so, SO many morons.  And then they start trying to argue with you after you correct all their bad info

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Facebook sucks so bad.  I'm on a bunch of the cat groups and they all suck and I have to try really hard to not be more of a dick than I even come off as.  But there's just so, SO many morons.  And then they start trying to argue with you after you correct all their bad info

Arctic Cat Trail Riders is one of them.   the SnoPro race sleds page is the only one I check in on regularly, and there's some actual knowledge in that group.

pre-season hulabaloo

ripped D&D 720 apart hoping to find a burnt piston on PTO side

no such luck

overheated, possibly multiple times with 4K? on modified top end

found PTO piston rings melted into and missing from the PTO piston

found front skirt of PTO cylinder missing

found crankcase, crank bearing and general mayhem in crankcase

purchased good used case and crank

found a magician in PA more than capable of repairing cylinder and matching new discontinued pistons with cylinders and nikasil plating the cylinders

ordered several hundred dollars worth the bearings, gaskets and seals because 'proprietary'

new reeds, tested/cleaned/rescreened injectors and updated throttle body covering per recall waiting for install

updating Boondocker for more fuel during long pulls while depressing 'add fuel button'

adding additional coolant temp sensor and gauge to monitor

even more stuff I'm forgetting at the moment

replacing jack shaft bearing because why not, installing XC gearing, Vespel slides and new track - struggling to decide if I'm going 128" or 136"

replacing rear bumper which was bent when I bought it

I have it on a good source that Santa may have acquired the last know brand new tunnel bag still in it's original packaging which might appear under the Xmas tree

and there's more ?$?$?$?$? to burn but I love these sleds so fuck it.

but the stock 500 is in the trailer and ready to go, as usual with nothing but a few spatters of grease and check overs.  :)

so, what minor maintenance have you done to yours this year?  :lol:

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 1

I haven't done anything to the snopro besides push it around the garage.  

I did some stuff on our Jag and that's it.  I greased up the snopro before storage so I don't think there's much left to do.  

Your 720, that's why I don't like modding stuff too much.  I go so far, and then stop.  I don't like aftermarket big bores because they're always a piece of shit it seems.  And when they implode you have to try to source these obscure parts, it's all bs.  I've gone deep into that world for too many years and I learned my lessons.  Stock is good.  Nobody does more r&d and has more knowledge than the oem.

1 hour ago, mnstang said:

I haven't done anything to the snopro besides push it around the garage.  

I did some stuff on our Jag and that's it.  I greased up the snopro before storage so I don't think there's much left to do.  

Your 720, that's why I don't like modding stuff too much.  I go so far, and then stop.  I don't like aftermarket big bores because they're always a piece of shit it seems.  And when they implode you have to try to source these obscure parts, it's all bs.  I've gone deep into that world for too many years and I learned my lessons.  Stock is good.  Nobody does more r&d and has more knowledge than the oem.

that's why I have two... I think?

I bought the 720 at a good price anticipating doing a top end, what wasn't factored in was rebuilding the entire engine due to my own fault or damage began before the purchase.   I look at it this way, I love the chassis, I adore the suspension upgrades done to it (alone worth what I paid for the entire sled), it's easy to work on, relatively low tech, doesn't have to go to a dealer, takes a pounding like a Tijuana hooker and it's (to me) a special sled only a handful of people have.  The bonus, it makes as much power as a brand new Polaris 650 more power than the stock 600 SX/XC sleds of the era but appears to the unwitting as a lowly 85hp 500.

this said, I doubt I'll ever mess with my stock engine 500 other than a top end job at some point - as it as reliable as an old Timex.

are you still considering departing with yours?  if you do... in time you will likely regret it.  been through the entire 'wish I had it back' moments countless times in my life.  

6 hours ago, Cwhite138 said:

4000mile? Lasts longer than a poo 850

maybe a pre 2016 800 - and the 2020 up 850's seem to be holding together for now.

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

Have you decided on a coolant sensor? 
Honestly with the amount you have invested in that motor.  just go for some EGTs... I'm kind of surprised you don't already have them. 
I forgot you had a big bore when I was posting in the other tread. 

Is it actually made to run pump gas? 

12 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

that's why I have two... I think?

I bought the 720 at a good price anticipating doing a top end, what wasn't factored in was rebuilding the entire engine due to my own fault or damage began before the purchase.   I look at it this way, I love the chassis, I adore the suspension upgrades done to it (alone worth what I paid for the entire sled), it's easy to work on, relatively low tech, doesn't have to go to a dealer, takes a pounding like a Tijuana hooker and it's (to me) a special sled only a handful of people have.  The bonus, it makes as much power as a brand new Polaris 650 more power than the stock 600 SX/XC sleds of the era but appears to the unwitting as a lowly 85hp 500.

this said, I doubt I'll ever mess with my stock engine 500 other than a top end job at some point - as it as reliable as an old Timex.

are you still considering departing with yours?  if you do... in time you will likely regret it.  been through the entire 'wish I had it back' moments countless times in my life.  

maybe a pre 2016 800 - and the 2020 up 850's seem to be holding together for now.

I won't regret it, I never regret selling crap.  There's nothing to regret.  I have way too much stuff so any day I can sell something it's a good day.  Plenty of other sleds in the world to be foolishly married to just one.

4 hours ago, Cwhite138 said:

Have you decided on a coolant sensor? 
Honestly with the amount you have invested in that motor.  just go for some EGTs... I'm kind of surprised you don't already have them. 
I forgot you had a big bore when I was posting in the other tread. 

Is it actually made to run pump gas? 

no, but I'll likely go with a Koso.  the D&D pipe has a bung on it.  it runs pretty well when it isn't self-destructing itself on 91 or better octane.  looking forward to getting it running, broken in and seeing what it will do with the XC gearing on the big end.

IMG_4362.jpg

IMG_4368.jpg

20201209_174611.jpg

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

4 minutes ago, Cwhite138 said:

Will you even see a benefit from a longer track

My experience is more "grab and giddy" off the line and out of the hole but, it's a bit more taxing in the tighter twisties.  

Meh....129's are going away.  Better get used to the 137's now.

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

My experience is more "grab and giddy" off the line and out of the hole but, it's a bit more taxing in the tighter twisties.  

Meh....129's are going away.  Better get used to the 137's now.

and braking... 

funny thing though Cat is the one manufacturer that dumped 129's yet they went back to it for the RXC this year.  heck, they only have one 'consumer 600 trail sled this year - the Limited.  Doo offers 600/850 129's, same with Poo on their 'new' 650/850 Maytrx and the XCR's are 128 as well.

so... probably staying 128 and figuring out which kind of scratchers to use.   

2 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

and braking... 

funny thing though Cat is the one manufacturer that dumped 129's yet they went back to it for the RXC this year.  heck, they only have one 'consumer 600 trail sled this year - the Limited.  Doo offers 600/850 129's, same with Poo on their 'new' 650/850 Maytrx and the XCR's are 128 as well.

so... probably staying 128 and figuring out which kind of scratchers to use.   

My 129, 1.75 SX with 2” picks worked great.  Surprisingly tougher than I thought too.

35 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Being a member here means you never have to say you are sorry.  :lol:

LOL

wtf are you still moderating at HCS for?

22 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

My 129, 1.75 SX with 2” picks worked great.  Surprisingly tougher than I thought too.

the track or the pistons?  :lol:

3 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Mine is better....but he did fuck his case up better than I did.  :lol:

Extra slot for cooling!

holy baby Jesus! that is fucked good

3 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

the track or the pistons?  :lol:

is mph a  concern for you? you mentioned a gear change. 
I Feel like the 129 1.75 with real studs works really well, and like zam said im surprised by the toughness.. mine has met many logs.. 
I know stopping is not any issue for me.. 

2 minutes ago, Cwhite138 said:

is mph a  concern for you? you mentioned a gear change. 
I Feel like the 129 1.75 with real studs works really well, and like zam said im surprised by the toughness.. mine has met many logs.. 
I know stopping is not any issue for me.. 

yep, gearing for better top end and ditching the 14"w 1" lug speed track which is useless on anything that resembles snow

Sticking with the 128" and decided to go against the grain and trying the Ice Attak XT and DuPont Vespel slides.

If it sucks for my typical riding conditions, I'll be the first to admit it was a bad decision.  

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

On 12/15/2020 at 9:21 PM, Crnr2Crnr said:

Arctic Cat Trail Riders is one of them.   the SnoPro race sleds page is the only one I check in on regularly, and there's some actual knowledge in that group.

I like how the mod of that page constantly has to boot people because they can't follow the 1 simple rule laid out by that page.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Sticking with the 128" and decided to go against the grain and trying the Ice Attak XT and DuPont Vespel slides.

If it sucks for my typical riding conditions, I'll be the first to admit it was a bad decision.  

Looks like a ripsaw 2.  Should work for groomed trail.