Velocity Shocks/Stiffer Springs/or both xc850

Bradd

thinking about changing a few thing on the rear skid as i feel its a little soft on my 19 xc.  would upgrading to velocity shock help stiffin thing up or would it be best to upgrade springs as well along with shocks or just springs.  little background im 6'2" about 225 lbs - pretty aggressive rider.  thoughts 

43 minutes ago, Bradd said:

thinking about changing a few thing on the rear skid as i feel its a little soft on my 19 xc.  would upgrading to velocity shock help stiffin thing up or would it be best to upgrade springs as well along with shocks or just springs.  little background im 6'2" about 225 lbs - pretty aggressive rider.  thoughts 

Are you bottoming out or is it just softer than what you want without bottoming out.  The velocity shock is similar to the old position sensitive shock.  Once the piston is past the reservoir the shock is firmer.  Where are your coupler blocks set at on the rear scissor.  If you haven't also use them to help you tune the suspension in.

If you bottom occasional your basically using the full travel of the suspension and that's not bad.  If your bottoming out a lot start with springs.

couplier are as stiff as they go.  i do bottom out a few time during a trip in the big bumps (usually the big bump that surprises you) but just a little softer than i like.  road on xcr last yr and enjoyed that ride more.   

@Bradd there was an uber lengthy thread (or six) on this last year on the other site when the XCR's were coming with mushy springs - people blamed the shocks a lot.

polaris race dept suggests heavier torsions and possibly FTS spring, and I've noticed how when you build a new Polaris now you can choose from three torsions in the accessory section at the end.

here's the terrain race setup sheet for a 2020 Indy XC
https://cdn1.polaris.com/globalassets/snow/root/team-polaris/racer-resources/cross-contry/setup-information/2020-600-indy-xcr-cross-country-terrain-racing-set-up-sheet.pdf?v=75e16129

spring chart attached

screen-shot-2019-01-20-at-7-33-43-am-png

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

1 hour ago, Bradd said:

couplier are as stiff as they go.  i do bottom out a few time during a trip in the big bumps (usually the big bump that surprises you) but just a little softer than i like.  road on xcr last yr and enjoyed that ride more. 

Assuming your talking about the full tunnel XCR the stock rear torsion springs are the same.  The shocks on the XCR are the hi/lo adjust and I don't have the valving in front of me right now.  On my 2019 XC I did add the hi/lo shocks on the front from a wrecked XCR and bought the rear hi/lo adjust shock with stock springs and I liked the way it rode and handled.  I go about the same weight as you.

23 hours ago, Doug said:

Assuming your talking about the full tunnel XCR the stock rear torsion springs are the same.  The shocks on the XCR are the hi/lo adjust and I don't have the valving in front of me right now.  On my 2019 XC I did add the hi/lo shocks on the front from a wrecked XCR and bought the rear hi/lo adjust shock with stock springs and I liked the way it rode and handled.  I go about the same weight as you.

Doug, if the race dept. is suggesting the HD (not XHD) torsions for 150-180lb racers and if most that swapped to the HD torsions had no more complaints after... it seems like a no brainer.  There were a couple guys closer to the 300lb zip code that were even blowing through the HD's and went to XHD's to take the mush out.  This stated, everyone wants something different and has a different perception of what is right for them and their needs.

Hygear sells them in pairs - for a riders weight.  https://www.hygearsuspension.com/collections/2019-polaris-indy-xc-850-129/products/polaris-torsion-spring-offset-arm?variant=13941081866301

I may be a Cat guy, but I love a well set up chassis.  ;)

29 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Doug, if the race dept. is suggesting the HD (not XHD) torsions for 150-180lb racers and if most that swapped to the HD torsions had no more complaints after... it seems like a no brainer.  There were a couple guys closer to the 300lb zip code that were even blowing through the HD's and went to XHD's to take the mush out.  This stated, everyone wants something different and has a different perception of what is right for them and their needs.

Hygear sells them in pairs - for a riders weight.  https://www.hygearsuspension.com/collections/2019-polaris-indy-xc-850-129/products/polaris-torsion-spring-offset-arm?variant=13941081866301

I may be a Cat guy, but I love a well set up chassis.  ;)

Fully agree but I guess rider preference is a personal preference to what the sled owner is looking for in they're riding style.  That's why i asked some questions.  Everybody's looking for something a little difference so not one setup fits all.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Doug said:

Fully agree but I guess rider preference is a personal preference to what the sled owner is looking for in they're riding style.  That's why i asked some questions.  Everybody's looking for something a little difference so not one setup fits all.  

I agree Doug, but the consensus from my vantage point has been that the XC/XCR's are undersprung for most anyone that rides aggressively over 200lbs - heck, even 12M Joe went to the HD springs and he's a medium build guy by his own acknowledgement.  

I was looking at leftover XCR 800's last spring (cheap) and thought doing the opposite of what most would want might be fun on groomed trails. 

There's a ton of good setup info from Polaris for geeky types like me to peruse... https://snowmobiles.polaris.com/en-us/team-polaris/racer-resources/ 

lowered MIRA/Ice Racing setup.

Indy-ICE-e1542124888705.jpg

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

7 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I agree Doug, but the consensus from my vantage point has been that the XC/XCR's are undersprung for most anyone that rides aggressively over 200lbs - heck, even 12M Joe went to the HD springs and he's a medium build guy by his own acknowledgement.  

I was looking at leftover XCR 800's last spring (cheap) and thought doing the opposite of what most would want might be fun on groomed trails. 

There's a ton of good setup info from Polaris for geeky types like me to peruse... https://snowmobiles.polaris.com/en-us/team-polaris/racer-resources/ 

lowered MIRA/Ice Racing setup.

Indy-ICE-e1542124888705.jpg

Do like the slammed look.  Now if there was only a 3 cylinder 2 stroke under the hood.

4 minutes ago, Doug said:

Do like the slammed look.  Now if there was only a 3 cylinder 2 stroke under the hood.

for well groomed trails or lake runners... lower is better.  for Sunday junked out trail riding... no thanks.  it does look good though doesn't it?  toss a 1" lug with a lot of picks on there with some long carbides and let'er rip in the corners.

imo, the days of the triple are long past us.

when I was a kid... we had a SkiDoo Safari 377 with the flip up headlight, totally lame sled but I knew a couple local oval racers and we fabbed up ski spreaders that widened the stance and lowered the front end, added new fangled plastic skis and carbides, studded it down the middle, added dual carbs, y-pipe mod and airbox ventilation and clutch work.  it was still slow compared to 440's but in the twisty shit on the trails it was a poor mans JD Liquifire.  LOL, I even chopped the windshield in attempt to make it look faster, froze my fingers multiple times because there wasn't such a thing as hand warmers. 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

3 cylinder 2 strokes sleds are gone unless you have some in storage :D

Getting back to the suspension setup I forgot to look up the valving/piston between the shocks on the XC, XCR and velocity so next time I get a chance I'll check that.  If he liked the XCR he should be able to dial his sled in with the XCR specs on the shocks.  The torsion spring are the same between sleds

Edited by Doug

I felt like my '19 XC was on the softer side, too .... but coming off the '18 Assault (the exact opposite - it rode stiffer), I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.  For my VR1, even though they're better shocks, I did opt for the HD torsion springs vs. the standard/stock springs.  Now if we could just get some snow so I could test it out!!