Koso Proton Temp Gauge Kit

I know, I know, this isn't a tech forum but some of you have supposedly ridden and watched someone work on your snowmobile...

So I need to add a temp gauge to the 720 to keep a closer eye on coolant temp after the rebuild and am looking at adding one of these...  https://kosonorthamerica.com/product/proton-thermometer/

I run a Koso mini, seems to work fine... its not the one in that link and it looks like the updated it from going through the website.

I will say it goes though a far amount of batteries... not sure if its the cold or id I leave it on... im bad for leaving it on

I have no factory temp sensor, there was a plug by the thermostat it threaded right in. 

Edited by Cwhite138

5 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I know, I know, this isn't a tech forum but some of you have supposedly ridden and watched someone work on your snowmobile...

So I need to add a temp gauge to the 720 to keep a closer eye on coolant temp after the rebuild and am looking at adding one of these...  https://kosonorthamerica.com/product/proton-thermometer/

you need an EGT gauge looking at those pictures you posted 

I keep a pretty close eye on my tepms as I do not have rear cooler...  I normally runn it a little hotter than a lot of people suggest.. i dont know if its the reverse colling system the laydown engine has or what. poo guys would be shitting bricks if they had my "normal" temps.  at least from the treads I could find, only seems to be poo tards going on about coolant temps... them and their gauges. 

13 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

it got hot on me once that I know of, then snowball effect.  

I dont think the gauge in the link is backlit... that might be a pain in the ass. 

Just get the slim series...rather than that one... 

Edited by Cwhite138

On 12/13/2020 at 9:48 PM, Cwhite138 said:

I keep a pretty close eye on my tepms as I do not have rear cooler...  I normally runn it a little hotter than a lot of people suggest.. i dont know if its the reverse colling system the laydown engine has or what. poo guys would be shitting bricks if they had my "normal" temps.  at least from the treads I could find, only seems to be poo tards going on about coolant temps... them and their gauges. 

I dont think the gauge in the link is backlit... that might be a pain in the ass. 

Just get the slim series...rather than that one... 

looked at those as well, want it lit at night and visible during the daytime.

On 12/14/2020 at 8:26 AM, Deephaven said:

I had their EGT/Temp/Tach on my IQR.  The connectors are terrible, no strain relief and are easy to mung up.  Haven't looked at their pure temp only, but am skeptical it is worth the premium that they think their name allows.

that's easy to fix, I have a crapload of butt connectors and packard connectors

On 12/14/2020 at 10:19 AM, XCR1250 said:

Digitron

they're rather proud of those Don - yikes!  http://www.digatronusa.com/pricing-snowmobiles.shtml

28 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

If that was the fix I wouldn't have posted.   The connection on the temp sensor needs the love, the rest anyone can repair.  Hard to solder onto two 1/64" stubs that are 1/16" apart....and I might be generous with my measurements there.  Shit design and Koso doesn't care.  I've had 3 of their gauges and will never own another.

14 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

If that was the fix I wouldn't have posted.   The connection on the temp sensor needs the love, the rest anyone can repair.  Hard to solder onto two 1/64" stubs that are 1/16" apart....and I might be generous with my measurements there.  Shit design and Koso doesn't care.  I've had 3 of their gauges and will never own another.

is it a vibration issue, poor solder or something a little heat shrink and patience can rectify?

The reason I had 3 is the first two didn't require me to ever remove them.  The third....well fuck me.  Cheap asses use like 80 gauge wire and no strain relief on the sensor.  Then they extort some absurd amount of money for a replacement.  The connector alone will rape the connection if you aren't super diligent in zip tieing it up.

Their biggest problem may be their Canadi-European complete lack of service.  They build a pos and then don't back it up.  I'm never buying Koso anything again.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

The reason I had 3 is the first two didn't require me to ever remove them.  The third....well fuck me.  Cheap asses use like 80 gauge wire and no strain relief on the sensor.  Then they extort some absurd amount of money for a replacement.  The connector alone will rape the connection if you aren't super diligent in zip tieing it up.

Their biggest problem may be their Canadi-European complete lack of service.  They build a pos and then don't back it up.  I'm never buying Koso anything again.

I'm going to have to try something to monitor the temp other than the light that finally comes blinking on when it hits HOLY-FUCK!!! degrees, and I don't want to run wires all over the place.  Koso looks like what I want but...

8 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Its funny you say that... I completely forgot the original temp sensor  that came on my sled  was a koso and it broke off right at the sensor...  I had for gotten about that.  there was no fix as it broke off exactly where it came out of the sensor.   

I did put some dual wall shrink tube where exits the sensor... so hopefully that is enough strain relief.  we will see.  I only got a Koso because it was the cheapest smallest could find. 

10 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

looked at those as well, want it lit at night and visible during the daytime.

they're rather proud of those Don - yikes!  http://www.digatronusa.com/pricing-snowmobiles.shtml

I have 3 Digitron's, well 2 now as I sold 1 for $100 a couple months ago.

See/check what Aaen has..

Edited by XCR1250

56 minutes ago, Cwhite138 said:

Its funny you say that... I completely forgot the original temp sensor  that came on my sled  was a koso and it broke off right at the sensor...  I had for gotten about that.  there was no fix as it broke off exactly where it came out of the sensor.   

I did put some dual wall shrink tube where exits the sensor... so hopefully that is enough strain relief.  we will see.  I only got a Koso because it was the cheapest smallest could find. 

Sad that a $20 O'reilly special was better than the Koso in that regard.

no O'reilly her in the great white north my friend. 
is it back lit and battery operated?  I have no battery in the sled so it really cut down on my options unless I got a rectifier (from what I read) 

can you send me a link... I have a feeling I will be changing that sensor again. 

56 minutes ago, Cwhite138 said:

is it back lit and battery operated?  I have no battery in the sled so it really cut down on my options unless I got a rectifier (from what I read) 

can you send me a link... I have a feeling I will be changing that sensor again. 

Superbrightleds.com has rectifiers for $12-$15 ?

12 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

I have 3 Digitron's, well 2 now as I sold 1 for $100 a couple months ago.

See/check what Aaen has..

I'll come up in a week to relieve you of one Don.  :)

12 hours ago, Cwhite138 said:

did you get it from Canadian Tire, or Tim Horton's?

yes, I've spent some time north of the border and heavily overpaid for mannnnnnnnnnnny cases of beer.

12 hours ago, mnstang said:

What you need is a 7s gauge display cluster fuck.  Just admit it.

yes, because I typically spend far too much time enjoying riding and already knowing where I'm going when I should instead be jerking off to my new $13,000 gauge attached to a snowmobile.

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

yes, I've spent some time north of the border and heavily overpaid for mannnnnnnnnnnny cases of beer.

yes, because I typically spend far too much time enjoying riding and already knowing where I'm going when I should instead be jerking off to my new $13,000 gauge attached to a snowmobile.

Well you know you have to pay for better beer.. right

The other 2 are on sleds, the sleds are for sale.