Installing tunnel Protectors Matryx

Doug

Installed the tunnel protectors today, The instructions are basically straight forward but I changed them a little. Actually installed the t-bolts in the tunnel protractors and tightened the nuts on just to the point of hitting the nylon on the locking nut. Pushed up on the T-bolt with a socket and extension to slide it into the T-slot and start pushing the tunnel projector into the tunnel. You need to rock it a little or slightly tap it with a rubber hammer. Push up the 2nd T-bold up you may have to loosen it slightly to get it to go into the t-slots. On the first one I just barley put the nuts on and after rocking it and slightly tapping it with a rubber hammer I had a nut fall off thus the reason to install them until the nylon of the locking nut hit the nut. When you have the last t-bolt in pull the  protector back to the edge of the rear heat exchanger. You can tighten the two rear nuts from the back and the front two through the windows in the track with a long extension on a ratchet.

You can probably do this with the rear snow flap and bumper still installed but its not worth the trouble. The tunnel protector kit includes rivets to reinstall the snow flap and it makes it easier to stud the sled with the snow flap removed anyway.

20201120_125049.jpg

20201120_132712.jpg

20201120_132435.jpg

20201120_130059.jpg20201120_130327.jpg

20201120_131444.jpg

20201120_131608.jpg

Edited by Doug
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Guys that are going to stud your own sled and install your tunnels proctors.  Tell your dealer not to install the rear snow flap.  You'll need to remove it to install the tunnel protectors and it makes it easier to drill the holes in the track from the top.

Edited by Doug
  • Like 1

anyone doing an axys can get metal like that from sports unlimited in utica ny. he makes them and it is perfect. i gained temps with the plastic ones. ripped those out and added joe's metal version. problem solved

34 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

anyone doing an axys can get metal like that from sports unlimited in utica ny. he makes them and it is perfect. i gained temps with the plastic ones. ripped those out and added joe's metal version. problem solved

The Axys you can get away without any if you only stud the center.  Like you said the Polaris plastic versions were having some temp issues even if you drilled them.  The aftermarket aluminum version resolved any temp issues.

The Matrix you need tunnel protectors if you run any type of studs.  Last year the Polaris tunnels protectors were hard to get at different times through the year.  There was a couple guys that were making and selling them.

• Like 1

I think the guy that runs his own version of the tunnel protectors is Dan Noeth (Polaris Ambassador).  If anyone runs into backorder issues with the OEM protectors, Dan is another option.  A good tip by @Doug regarding the snow flap and asking the dealer to leave it off when taking delivery.  Some dealers my actually install the tunnel protectors for you, though, so if that's done than it's fine having them install the snow flap.  

• Thanks 1