Primary weight

BadAzWS6

I’ve got a MY 17 800 pro s that I changed from 66g to 68g  with 120/310 spring and a 48/44 helix 140/220 spring and 1.74 gearing.  Revs around 8200-8400 rpm when hot.  Think I could get away with 70g or have I maxed out?  Just thought I’d ask before I went ahead and ordered 70g weights.

Edited by BadAzWS6

It will likely pull 70's on a cold crisp morning/day but may get sluggish in warmer temps. I run daltons adjustables and while it can pull 70's I'm usually running 68.5g. If you were going to invest in weights ,,buy dalton adjustables.

• Like 1

I’ve heard good things about both those weight brands.  Also the slp magnums too.  I have a set of daltons my brother gave me  but they are  missing the inserts.  I’ll see if I can buy replacement ones and try that instead of going to the 10-70’s.   

What are your thoughts on the 120/310 primary spring?   Leave it or change to something else?  I also have a 140/200 sec spring I thought I’d maybe test as well

or I could just leave everything well enough alone and just ride it.  Lol

Edited by BadAzWS6

19 hours ago, BadAzWS6 said:

I’ve got a MY 17 800 pro s that I changed from 66g to 68g  with 120/310 spring and a 48/44 helix 140/220 spring and 1.74 gearing.  Revs around 8200-8400 rpm when hot.  Think I could get away with 70g or have I maxed out?  Just thought I’d ask before I went ahead and ordered 70g weights.

i'll be running something similar this year on my 2015 800 pro s but i'm giving the team tied a try

68g weight

120/340 venom spring

66/56 tied helix

120/200 stock polaris spring

i also have a 140/220 venom spring for the secondary be everybody says the tied dosent like a stiff spring. my helix also has a shallower finish angle then most setup ive seen but since it came with the secondary i'll give it a try. i'm also runnin 23-40 gearing with the stock unstudded ripsaw2 track. i changed all that at once from stock. if we could have a bit of snow i'll go test and report back. any imput is appreciated

I just changed my track last week from an ice attak pre-studded to a cobra 1.35 with 144 studs.  I'll see how the sled does as is the first couple times out and decide if I want to make any changes at that point.  I'm hoping that I'm going to get better hook up on the trails with this cobra.  I hated the ice attak but it was on the sled when i bought it.

2 hours ago, joesale said:

2017 Axys 800 switch back.

I put North star Ricks set up in mine.

Plowed road with 2" of fresh powder. I'm around 280 lbs geared up.

image.thumb.png.7aa04b92bc7b27d648783721f4c9b90b.png

That’s really good.  What springs and weights are you running.  I know Rick uses a custom cut helix. 

• Gold Member

I don't remember whats in there, I put everything in a couple years ago.

I only bought the kit because he was bashing the stock set up and a short belt life. I really thought my belts would last longer. Nope, still blow around 1200 miles.

My clutches run warmer than the stock clutching when it's around 30 degrees, but I gained about 10 mph on top. 

On 12/10/2020 at 4:23 PM, joesale said:

I only bought the kit because he was bashing the stock set up and a short belt life. I really thought my belts would last longer. Nope, still blow around 1200 miles.

My clutches run warmer than the stock clutching when it's around 30 degrees, but I gained about 10 mph on top. 

I never get more than 1200 miles out of a belt either. Ever since 2 stroke twins started making real HP,  belts just don't last. It's not the clutching or belt's fault. It's just the power pulses from a parallel twin motor. Nature of the beast! 

• Gold Member
26 minutes ago, LENNSTANG said:

I never get more than 1200 miles out of a belt either. Ever since 2 stroke twins started making real HP,  belts just don't last. It's not the clutching or belt's fault. It's just the power pulses from a parallel twin motor. Nature of the beast! 

You are correct, it's a beast!

I decided I'm just going to be replacing them at 1000 miles. It's not like I'm going to take it easy.

Been using SLP Magnum adjustable weights that are real easy to work with.  They now have a heavier series that goes from 69.2 to 77 grams.  You can also use combinations of aluminum and tungsten ( Thanks TurboJamie on the tungsten idea) set screws to actually move your weight distribution around within the weight.

• Gold Member
On 12/10/2020 at 3:23 PM, joesale said:

Didn't ricks kit include different gears as well?  I am 300# geared up and I have absolutely no belt trouble.

Edited by poopooforme

On 12/16/2020 at 2:06 PM, Doug said:

Been using SLP Magnum adjustable weights that are real easy to work with.  They now have a heavier series that goes from 69.2 to 77 grams.  You can also use combinations of aluminum and tungsten ( Thanks TurboJamie on the tungsten idea) set screws to actually move your weight distribution around within the weight.

I wonder if it was Turbo Jaimie I was having conversations with 4-6 years ago about filled inserts with tungsten.?

Edited by racerdave

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, poopooforme said:

Didn't ricks kit include different gears as well?  I am 300# geared up and I have absolutely no belt trouble.

Yes it included gears.  I run it pretty  hard. 

• Gold Member
56 minutes ago, joesale said:

Yes it included gears.  I run it pretty  hard. 

Ya you didn't get to 118.  The speedo is set for stock gears.  If you ran ricks setup he put you to a 1.74 ratio.  You maybe hit 98 mph.  Maybe.  I run 300# with gear and with ricks setup and my gps I hit 100 mph tops.  Us fat guys cant' win races....   Your speedometer sure made you feel good though eh???  Have your dealer set your speedo to the gear ratio and report back.  I just leave my shit stock now.  Its 850 though not 800.  THere is a difference....  

Edited by poopooforme

• Gold Member
On 12/10/2020 at 3:23 PM, joesale said:

Its the new gear ratio.  You actually probably lost some MPH....  The speedo reads off the chaincase /brake rotor now not the track drivers.  Change the gears changes the speedo....

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, poopooforme said:

Its the new gear ratio.  You actually probably lost some MPH....  The speedo reads off the chaincase /brake rotor now not the track drivers.  Change the gears changes the speedo....

FYI I had the dealer install the kit and they reset the gear ratio with digital wrench,,, so ya know that's not the case...