F7! What year has the best out of box top speed?

stinkipinki

Let's get some blood flowing in these forums!
No Cat Forum is complete without an F7 thread.
Whats the best gearing setup for top speed on an F7 out of the box?
I own a 06 EFI but admittingly I'm not sure.

Some say its the 2003 F7, some say its the 2006 F7R.
If you say 04 or 05, admin joe from HardcoreSledder might come over here and delete your comment!

My 04 was terribly fat, reflashed to 06 spec in 06, that was likely the best tune with some safety margin.  Last year with my 240 pound ass, windshield bag full and two saddlebags stuffed it still hit 100.  Just short of 10000 miles, motor never been cracked open.  1'' track.  That said, out of the box, I think the 03 had it.

03 F7 all the way.   I was race director for a few years at the LHSC club and they just dominated in the 700 and 800 classes in Stock form.  Tearing them down everything was stock.  I still am the announcer for our races and we have a couple F7's still around that take lots of wins.   A great sled and especially for grass with the "hot box" for grass dragging on it.  

Steve

• Like 1

For a drag race it really doesn't matter, but lake running the diamond drive does hurt top speed a little.  Not as much as internet bros make it sound but there is a difference in top speeds.

3 hours ago, Cwhite138 said:

Diamond drives are not as reliable as the chain driven correct?

I think they're pretty reliable.  I have a sled apart right now that's getting chain case parts for a broken gear.

There are more moving parts in a diamond drive but I've owned multiple of them and still own one, have had buddies with them and still have them.  There's been no issues.

The diamond drive has been more reliable than the chain case and tcl systems on the 2012+ chassis.

Edited by mnstang

My 05 zr 900 I've seen 112 on gps on a road and then the belt exploded, it had more power but I think it was out of gear!  On trail is a little less but mid 100's was the norm when I used to care and would check.  I think it gives up a little top end to the 03 but not enough where you'd ever know unless you line up two at the same time.  I like the 05 better for the trail riding I do.  Handles better and chassis feels tighter.  I've rode back to back on trail mine and a buddies 03.

One thing to keep in mind is a fast straight line setup makes a shitty trail setup and vice versa.  With two adjustments I can make my sled dangle the skis all the way and by doing that it'll charge past 100.  But it sucks on the trail if you ride aggressive.  If you make it so you have lots of ski pressure, it really slows it down where it'll struggle to hit 100.  Just from a small setup change all else being equal.  So you have to pick what you actually care about doing.  I drag race about .001% of my ride time and would much rather enjoy the handling on the trail instead of fight it.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 11:43 PM, Cwhite138 said:

so every one shits on them for parasitic loss? 

did you... run the number.... radar on hard pack? 

So... mnstang gets to use a GPS but I need a slip from a radar run? I was not shitting anything or anyone,  just trying to add my .02 to the conversation by personal experience. Besides, any radar run would probably even be slower

No offence stang.

Edited by nascarmike

Fastest set up is a 2003 with 1" track and a 06 triangle ECU....... Unless you have access to a drag box.....

Stock, out of the box, either a 2003 F7 1" track or a 2004 EARLY BUILD F6... also with a 1" track. My EB 04 F6 would run dead even with 03 F7s across the lakes and be ahead of those with the deep lug tracks. If memory serves me right, we showed a 5-6 mph difference just between the 1" and 1.375" track on the same sled, same day, same "track" on the guns.

16 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I've never ridden an F7, but still see many of them in the winter usually being ridden by younger guys on a budget - that can apparently afford a can.  

You honestly didn't miss much. They were fast because they were light. But also tippy because of the narrow track, especially before the outer rear skid wheels were added. Had a bunch (go figure that.....lol) of them.... almost 1 of every limited edition -- multiple "SaberCat" and NightFire ones especially. But no Canadian or "Tiger" models. And a few of the 02&03 440 racers with big bore kits (04 is when Cat went more sno-x specific with the small tank, HOT ecu, etc ,etc and made it a lot harder to trail ride them). Loved them when I had them....would rather ride a ZR or twin spar now and never throw a leg over another firecat/sabercat ever again

19 hours ago, nascarmike said:

So... mnstang gets to use a GPS but I need a slip from a radar run? I was not shitting anything or anyone,  just trying to add my .02 to the conversation by personal experience. Besides, any radar run would probably even be slower

No offence stang.

Hell yes you need the slip to run the number.  especially if you're down 5hp... that portion to my comment was homage to poet joe, not to be taken so literally. 

Actually, just more curious why I always hear people shitting on Dimond drive. 

18 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I've never ridden an F7, but still see many of them in the winter usually being ridden by younger guys on a budget - that can apparently afford a can.  

This is why I run a 05 440 snopro best bang for my buck.  except for when the track needs replaced.. then I will get something new, Ill never find one cheap. 

Edited by Cwhite138