Se Mn conditions

X2700

• Gold Member
On 12/29/2021 at 1:35 PM, X2700 said:

Extreme se mn starting to get groomers out.

caledonia and Houston are rolling trails when I was through there today.

looks rideable to me!!

Caledonia trails still closed.  This was the first year we tried our panner.  Need to bolt some weight to the end of it.  Or go get a peat dirt packer out west like Houston did.  Oh and we are a bit proud of our new groomer shed.  

IMG_20211225_122949538.jpg

IMG_20211225_122857280.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, poopooforme said:

Caledonia trails still closed.  This was the first year we tried our panner.  Need to bolt some weight to the end of it.  Or go get a peat dirt packer out west like Houston did.  Oh and we are a bit proud of our new groomer shed.  

IMG_20211225_122949538.jpg

IMG_20211225_122857280.jpg

Nice shop!!

Nice to see people getting things ready ahead of time!

I was surprised you had that much snow down there!

Another 6-8” and you’ll be ready to go!!

Been a few years since I’ve been down that way on sled.Have family in spring Grove so used to bring sled down and ride your area!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold Member

Warm up today sucks.  The storm that johndee had right over the top of us is now a long ways west.  Might get a half a fucking inch....  Sucks.  I guess they did open our trails last weekend.  Lot of tracks and lots of dirt showing.  I was in Babbitt MN and got to scratch my itch.  Good times!!

11 minutes ago, poopooforme said:

Warm up today sucks.  The storm that johndee had right over the top of us is now a long ways west.  Might get a half a fucking inch....  Sucks.  I guess they did open our trails last weekend.  Lot of tracks and lots of dirt showing.  I was in Babbitt MN and got to scratch my itch.  Good times!!

We had our club meeting Monday night, and we were hopeful that our trails would see some action this coming weekend with new snow ... but just like you mentioned, this updated forecast looks like a bust :wall:

If my sled comes in anytime soon, I know it won't be getting any shakedown miles put on it locally (but that's not necessarily new).

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone found enough snow to ride on (in SE MN) yet?  By me, there might be enough in the ditches, but it's still pretty sketchy.

Northern MN has been good.  So good, that I'm ahead of last year at this time by about 300 miles.  I was going to bring the sleds home last weekend, but ended up leaving them.  I love riding in SE MN, hopefully we'll get some snow soon.

10 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

Has anyone found enough snow to ride on (in SE MN) yet?  By me, there might be enough in the ditches, but it's still pretty sketchy.

Northern MN has been good.  So good, that I'm ahead of last year at this time by about 300 miles.  I was going to bring the sleds home last weekend, but ended up leaving them.  I love riding in SE MN, hopefully we'll get some snow soon.

Down here in the Lake City, Frontenac, Red Wing, Goodhue area it's pretty much a bust right now.  If you're lucky enough to find a decent stretch that would work there's probably 50x that with crappy conditions ... most notably fields.  I see they're calling for a few smaller snow events this weekend, so who knows - maybe they'll surprise us and drop 4"+ to turn things around.

For sure, anyone looking to put serious miles on will be forced to trailer north.

On 1/12/2022 at 3:26 PM, Bontz said:

We had our club meeting Monday night, and we were hopeful that our trails would see some action this coming weekend with new snow ... but just like you mentioned, this updated forecast looks like a bust :wall:

If my sled comes in anytime soon, I know it won't be getting any shakedown miles put on it locally (but that's not necessarily new).

lots of F7's on marketplace.... 

Houston area yesterday!!

our club groomer headed out this morning to get our section done.

going to be thin but should be nice for one weekend!!

if I can get out of work early today I’m going for ride!!!

AB806590-2D1B-42F5-9ACB-D197BE19E7D6.jpeg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Houston area yesterday!!

our club groomer headed out this morning to get our section done.

going to be thin but should be nice for one weekend!!

if I can get out of work early today I’m going for ride!!!

AB806590-2D1B-42F5-9ACB-D197BE19E7D6.jpeg

I made the trek to Decorah yesterday, which takes me through Plainview, Elgin, Eyota, and then south on 52 through Chatfield, Preston, etc.  Everything EXCEPT the plowed fields looked pretty decent & anything in the ditch looked good.  Hopefully you can avoid the chisel plow!

• Like 1

Seems to be less chisel plow as you head south?

I can bypass bunch of that locally!!

hard to believe it’s 33 this morning!!!

I should of thrown sled in truck this morning! Headed to lanesboro this morning.could of taken extended lunch break for a ride!!😁

hows Frontenac looking?when’s your fun run?

lake pepin looks good to go?

7 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Seems to be less chisel plow as you head south?

I can bypass bunch of that locally!!

hard to believe it’s 33 this morning!!!

I should of thrown sled in truck this morning! Headed to lanesboro this morning.could of taken extended lunch break for a ride!!😁

hows Frontenac looking?when’s your fun run?

lake pepin looks good to go?

Our groomer was out Sunday, and kind of the same as what I had mentioned  .... everything other than chisel plow is decent.  Pepin is definitely rideable (I saw tracks on it last weekend).  If I actually had my sled, that's where my break-in runs would be occurring!! :lol:

Vintage Show is Feb 26th ... new location this year @ the Lake City Golf Course instead of Mt. Frontenac.

• Like 1

Saw our groomer going past the house last night about 6.  I think their hope is enough snow drifts in to cover the chisel plow.  Storm forming up for next weeks that looks like it could hit SE MN.  A few days back that was headed to northern MN, WI, and the UP.

image.png

The charity ride in Mantorville on Saturday is on, but it sounds like the same deal - some fields okay, some pretty rough.  I caught the deaded virus and won’t be going anywhere this wkend….  😡

It would be really nice to see a good-sized storm pummel SE MN in the near future, so I have my fingers crossed on the forecast.  

Edited by p51mstg

Finally got out Friday afternoon for a ride!!

was lucky enough to have freshly groomed trails.

meet 3 groomers.

ran down to Eyota  across to Elba back up to Plainview Elgin and back to Millville.

tops of hills with chisel a bit tough.most clubs are now moving trails to waterways and fence lines!further south I went better the conditions.at least I got one ride from home!!we have some great trails and ripping down those waterways is a blast!!another 8” and we’d have some great riding but forecast doesn’t look good!!!!

8D85DD92-5D85-4B2A-90FC-09A95B0EDADC.jpeg

9DED8F52-F27C-47EF-B914-FFABF8FAAEF5.jpeg

Edited by X2700
  • Like 5

• 10 months later...

Groomed!  Only our club groomed around here, everywhere else it’s drift mogul city.  But that ain’t keeping me home!  Threw down the first hondo day ride of the season today in 4+ hours with lunch at House of Coates.

And yeah, mid to upper 30’s is going to wreck a lot of what we have here…

50F20828-9D2D-432B-8CD1-8F516B233756.jpeg

03C56B09-4AE6-4EA5-8905-48F44C603D8B.jpeg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Mag6240 said:

Groomed!  Only our club groomed around here, everywhere else it’s drift mogul city.  But that ain’t keeping me home!  Threw down the first hondo day ride of the season today in 4+ hours with lunch at House of Coates.

And yeah, mid to upper 30’s is going to wreck a lot of what we have here…

50F20828-9D2D-432B-8CD1-8F516B233756.jpeg

03C56B09-4AE6-4EA5-8905-48F44C603D8B.jpeg

Those trails look familiar!  I've always thought that riding in SE MN depends on the year - when it's good, it's really REALLY good.  But, when it's bad, it's really REALLY bad.  The only problem putting on lots of miles there is that some clubs get behind grooming, and the drifts can be rough.  Other than that, I sincerely miss it.  Love the pics, X2700 and Mag6240!

• Like 1

@X2700 - any feedback (constructive criticism?) on our trails?  Just curious.  I'd like to go out and see firsthand how things are, but I just can't find the willingness to ride my XCR when it's sold to a buddy of mine (despite him insisting I ride it until my '23 shows up).  Feel free to PM me if you prefer to not post anything publicly.  I just know we have a new groomer operator out there as our previous one has been super busy with trucking travels.  

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

@X2700 - any feedback (constructive criticism?) on our trails?  Just curious.  I'd like to go out and see firsthand how things are, but I just can't find the willingness to ride my XCR when it's sold to a buddy of mine (despite him insisting I ride it until my '23 shows up).  Feel free to PM me if you prefer to not post anything publicly.  I just know we have a new groomer operator out there as our previous one has been super busy with trucking travels.  

Things looking good in your area.Getting a bit thin around frontenac.

Do you groom to hay creek?

really like that trail that is just north of hay creek that cuts up to hwy63 by college on hill than through flower valley vineyard.

Looks like that section had not been groomed yet but was still nice!

Glad B-wells was open because no one  else was!! Damn food is reasonable and good there!!

Tough to beat the trails we have!!!we have a bit of everything from tight twisties to some wide open running!!

was going to try and get down to lake see how it looks but ran out of time!!Zig zagged on most every trail and only one thin area on hill above lake city.just shy of 140 miles monday afernoon.Lake city was out grooming!Surprised they are running that old groomer yet!!

• Like 2

You had a good day if you clicked off 140 miles ... nice!  That section of trail to the north of Hay Creek is run by the Red Wing club ... we have the trail that comes into Hay Creek from the south, down the hill and across the field and Hwy58 into the bar.  I got together with some friends yesterday down in Kellogg, and a husband & wife had ridden to meet us (they live up by Lake Pepin Golf course).  They said the fields were a bit rough with the drifts that weren't knocked down yet, but the bottoms between Theilman and Kellogg were fantastic.  

B-Wells .. that little bar is a goldmine!  And yes, good food and drinks for very reasonable prices :thumbsup:

• Like 1