Waiting for a fukkin storm!!!

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

7CAE2235-0FD3-47B1-8C45-1E6685B12863.jpeg

Is that your JD?  I have a X730 that looks about the same size.  I really wanted to put the snowblower on but my tractor is only 2wd, and my driveway is steep as hell.  

Edited by DriftBusta

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 hours ago, 01mxz800 said:

you must be one of those yahoos that need a 100k truck/plow outfit then over charge to try to break even:read:

Actually I’m quite the opposite. 
This is my current plow truck. ‘12 F250. Truck was an insurance write off I bought through an auction. I had my buddy’s body shop do the repairs and put on a used aluminum flat deck. The plow I bought used for $4000 last year. I had a fisher on it previously that I bought from a friend but it plowed like shit. It was heavy but couldn’t scrape off hardpack. This one works much better and it only had one year of plow. The guy had bought an F350 with it on but he wanted something bigger and went Boss to match this other trucks.

Saltdogg 3/4 yard electric salter I bought in New York State as they are way cheaper in the US than Canada. With a half yard of bulk salt I’m about 400 lbs over my weight limit. I don’t understand how guy use 1.5 yarders.

9C047E18-7414-40E9-A261-CC12C58B2FAA.thumb.jpeg.9051828ca5499b22fc9f24102c082350.jpeg

Can see my other ‘12 F250 set up the same in the background. That Snowdogg is 11 years old.

This Blue ‘07 F250 6.0 was my main truck until I bought the grey truck for my son, then he quite plowing 3 years ago to go back to school.

Thats my 8’ Frink that I bought 20 years ago for $5000 brand new for my ‘96 F350 7.3. The truck has 350k kms on it and tons of plowing hours.

58F9834F-2BFB-4BEA-A64C-7AEECD9B787C.thumb.jpeg.ec04154f7d53fcd7c924ad8266aefb70.jpeg

She’s just a back up now. She’s getting a bit tired. Soon time to replace it but I can assure I won’t be spending $100k.

I do see the guys out there though. Denali 3500, 9’ Wing Vee’s and 8’ salter in the bed. It’s more like $125-130k here.

You need some mighty big contracts to cover those payments.

I can’t imagine giving it to an employee...lol

44 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Is that your JD?  I have a X730 that looks about the same size.  I really wanted to put the snowblower on but my tractor is only 2wd, and my driveway is steep as hell.  

It’s the 2305 diesel 4x4. It’s driveshaft drive with 2 PTO’s. It chucks snow a mile....lol. I have the front loader, belly mower with the power vac 3 rear bag attach. It’s a little beast for a little tractor.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, awful knawful said:

How everyone actually looks at him

Cept his BUD Kev144

cb17587af81dd9a4a932d0b5dbe59936--pee-wee-herman-movie-songs.jpg

OK. I have a rule that I abide by on FS.com

If the shit is funny, I have ta' admit it. Sonamabitch, of all the faggots that could have posted this, it had to be one of, if not the biggest faggots, of all!!!!! Sonamabitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 hours ago, Mainecat said:

It’s the 2305 diesel 4x4. It’s driveshaft drive with 2 PTO’s. It chucks snow a mile....lol. I have the front loader, belly mower with the power vac 3 rear bag attach. It’s a little beast for a little tractor.

Mine is basicly the same . 1023 E

16 hours ago, Blackstar said:

This is my current plow truck. ‘12 F250. Truck was an insurance write off I bought through an auction. I had my buddy’s body shop do the repairs and put on a used aluminum flat deck. The plow I bought used for $4000 last year. I had a fisher on it previously that I bought from a friend but it plowed like shit. It was heavy but couldn’t scrape off hardpack. This one works much better and it only had one year of plow. The guy had bought an F350 with it on but he wanted something bigger and went Boss to match this other trucks.

Saltdogg 3/4 yard electric salter I bought in New York State as they are way cheaper in the US than Canada. With a half yard of bulk salt I’m about 400 lbs over my weight limit. I don’t understand how guy use 1.5 yarders.

9C047E18-7414-40E9-A261-CC12C58B2FAA.thumb.jpeg.9051828ca5499b22fc9f24102c082350.jpeg

Can see my other ‘12 F250 set up the same in the background. That Snowdogg is 11 years old.

This Blue ‘07 F250 6.0 was my main truck until I bought the grey truck for my son, then he quite plowing 3 years ago to go back to school.

Thats my 8’ Frink that I bought 20 years ago for $5000 brand new for my ‘96 F350 7.3. The truck has 350k kms on it and tons of plowing hours.

58F9834F-2BFB-4BEA-A64C-7AEECD9B787C.thumb.jpeg.ec04154f7d53fcd7c924ad8266aefb70.jpeg

She’s just a back up now. She’s getting a bit tired. Soon time to replace it but I can assure I won’t be spending $100k.

I do see the guys out there though. Denali 3500, 9’ Wing Vee’s and 8’ salter in the bed. It’s more like $125-130k here.

if you plow on pavement buy carbide cutting edges. they are pricy but will last a long time. that frink is old they went out years ago . now its everest. they made very good plows. i had a 9 ft like yours. i bought a new everst  10ft reverse a trac 4 yrs ago for 1800. list was over 7k just the plow no head gear. the company had been sold and the new owner wanted all the old stock gone. if you want a plow to scrape raise the push arm height that will put a bit of down pressure on it

16 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I got rid of my heavy stuff when I got out of commercial and went full residential, I just rebuilt my Dakota which has a 7' Curtis which is 15 years old and has been trouble free other than pump motor, I would not hesitate to buy another if they still made them and  Boss poly on my Ram, I am a 1 man operation with a tight route, I laugh at the guys that buy 100k trucks and beat the fuck out of them and charge high rates then bitch when they lose customers

None of you amateurs have a stake in the game when Fireballs out moving snow in my 30 year old 1/2 ton with true dual exhaust pushing a 30 year old Western 8 foot straight blade with a Harbor Freight 2500lb ATV winch controlling up/down movement.  :badass:

plow truck2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, 01mxz800 said:

I got rid of my heavy stuff when I got out of commercial and went full residential, I just rebuilt my Dakota which has a 7' Curtis which is 15 years old and has been trouble free other than pump motor, I would not hesitate to buy another if they still made them and  Boss poly on my Ram, I am a 1 man operation with a tight route, I laugh at the guys that buy 100k trucks and beat the fuck out of them and charge high rates then bitch when they lose customers

I had considered doing something similar when I was doing a lot of residential lots (small apartments). I had a buddy doing them with his Steiner. Then I had a falling out with the property management company I was doing the bulk of them for. There are a couple guys I see around town with Ford Rangers or Toyota Tacomas, small blade on the front, tailgate salter and a couple Toro blowers in the back. I'm sure they do what needs to be done 90% of the time but I think you also have to drive it yourself. I can't see giving something like that to a kid.

Most have gone to small tractors or UTV's with 5' blades and a drop salter. I have a Kubota UTV with a V=blade for the tighter stuff now. And the main reason is insurance. You don't have to carry vehicle liability insurance since they aren't a road vehicle. You can put your buddy with the DWI in the seat and off he goes down the road. My premium for the year is $250. My trucks are over $2k each. And they are built to work. For now I have friend driving it for me for the next couple years then I will sell it or change my focus to residential again.

21 minutes ago, snowstorm said:

if you plow on pavement buy carbide cutting edges. they are pricy but will last a long time. that frink is old they went out years ago . now its everest. they made very good plows. i had a 9 ft like yours. i bought a new everst  10ft reverse a trac 4 yrs ago for 1800. list was over 7k just the plow no head gear. the company had been sold and the new owner wanted all the old stock gone. if you want a plow to scrape raise the push arm height that will put a bit of down pressure on it

I get 8-10 years from a cutting edge. We are lucky to have Valley Blades in town that makes high quality units and you can walk in and order anything you want. My '07 is on its second still.

I call mine a Frink but in actuality its called a Trailblazer. When Champion who owned Frink cut up the company, the light duty division of Frink, which made plows for light trucks, was sold off, a landscape company in town bought what was left and started making plows under the name Trailblazer. The owner was disorganized and didn't look to the future. He didn't see how V-blades would impact the market. People complained about waiting months to get a plow. He ran it into the ground. A friend of mine bought what was left and started development of a V-blade but he hated people, had no employees and no phone....lol  He was a good welder/fabricator but not good at business. He gave up after 3-4 years. I bought mine from him in 2000, he moved it to the '07 for me in 2009.

Around here, everyone owned them as the company was local. I've had 3. They take a beating and bottom trip is so much nicer than full blade. The only down side to them is the trip edge springs are a bit tough to change.

I've owned a couple straight blade Arctics which are copies of the Western, parts are interchangeable. They are light, work decent, cheap to buy and easy to fix.

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I had considered doing something similar when I was doing a lot of residential lots (small apartments). I had a buddy doing them with his Steiner. Then I had a falling out with the property management company I was doing the bulk of them for. There are a couple guys I see around town with Ford Rangers or Toyota Tacomas, small blade on the front, tailgate salter and a couple Toro blowers in the back. I'm sure they do what needs to be done 90% of the time but I think you also have to drive it yourself. I can't see giving something like that to a kid.

Most have gone to small tractors or UTV's with 5' blades and a drop salter. I have a Kubota UTV with a V=blade for the tighter stuff now. And the main reason is insurance. You don't have to carry vehicle liability insurance since they aren't a road vehicle. You can put your buddy with the DWI in the seat and off he goes down the road. My premium for the year is $250. My trucks are over $2k each. And they are built to work. For now I have friend driving it for me for the next couple years then I will sell it or change my focus to residential again.

I get 8-10 years from a cutting edge. We are lucky to have Valley Blades in town that makes high quality units and you can walk in and order anything you want. My '07 is on its second still.

I call mine a Frink but in actuality its called a Trailblazer. When Champion who owned Frink cut up the company, the light duty division of Frink, which made plows for light trucks, was sold off, a landscape company in town bought what was left and started making plows under the name Trailblazer. The owner was disorganized and didn't look to the future. He didn't see how V-blades would impact the market. People complained about waiting months to get a plow. He ran it into the ground. A friend of mine bought what was left and started development of a V-blade but he hated people, had no employees and no phone....lol  He was a good welder/fabricator but not good at business. He gave up after 3-4 years. I bought mine from him in 2000, he moved it to the '07 for me in 2009.

Around here, everyone owned them as the company was local. I've had 3. They take a beating and bottom trip is so much nicer than full blade. The only down side to them is the trip edge springs are a bit tough to change.

I've owned a couple straight blade Arctics which are copies of the Western, parts are interchangeable. They are light, work decent, cheap to buy and easy to fix.

All my residentials are retirees, and seniors and I hit them in the morning they do their errands then are home for the day, no need to go back later, I drop the blade at 1st stop at 7am and am done by noon all my stops are within the village limits and a 3 mile radius, couldn't be happier that I gave up commercial

2 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

None of you amateurs have a stake in the game when Fireballs out moving snow in my 30 year old 1/2 ton with true dual exhaust pushing a 30 year old Western 8 foot straight blade with a Harbor Freight 2500lb ATV winch controlling up/down movement.  :badass:

plow truck2.jpg

OK Furballs, you're on a roll..............that is some funny shit!!!!  :lol2:  :bc:

2 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

I'm coming to save you Znotty!  Don't give up yet! :Znottydidnotkillhimself:

7 hours ago, 01mxz800 said:

All my residentials are retirees, and seniors and I hit them in the morning they do their errands then are home for the day, no need to go back later, I drop the blade at 1st stop at 7am and am done by noon all my stops are within the village limits and a 3 mile radius, couldn't be happier that I gave up commercial

That a nice route.

The only way to make money here doing residentials is basically the way you are doing it. I know a couple guys who have a truck, a shovel and a blower. They do about 20 houses at $30-40/ per snowfall. Brings in about $12k-18 for a season gross. It’s all cash, no receipts and no insurance.

Its that or get into it big with 10-12 employees and deal with all the headaches that brings.

I have a friend who is a manager in a big commercial snow removal business. They run 47 tractors and 12 trucks plus a few skid steers and salters. 12 sidewalk crews with 3 guys to a crew. Last year they had 150 employees.

I can’t imagine the shitshow that has to be. 

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

That a nice route.

The only way to make money here doing residentials is basically the way you are doing it. I know a couple guys who have a truck, a shovel and a blower. They do about 20 houses at $30-40/ per snowfall. Brings in about $12k-18 for a season gross. It’s all cash, no receipts and no insurance.

Its that or get into it big with 10-12 employees and deal with all the headaches that brings.

I have a friend who is a manager in a big commercial snow removal business. They run 47 tractors and 12 trucks plus a few skid steers and salters. 12 sidewalk crews with 3 guys to a crew. Last year they had 150 employees.

I have an old friend who lives a few blocks from me he does grass in the summer and snow in the winter. He's a one man show.  He has 2 '90's Ford Rangers, 2 blowers, and 2 shovels.  He makes his way, all residential 50x100 lots.  He's been doing this for 15 years and he works 2 days a week at a grocery store.  Summer he just has 2 mowers and 2 trimmers, 2 leaf blowers it's all you need for residential city lots.  I do know he has a Wild Thing chainsaw  :lmao:

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

That a nice route.

around here everyone fight over the commercial jobs and no one wants to do resi's, I got more work than I want LOL and have never advertised in the 30 years I have been plowing, all word of mouth

• Like 1