Who has used snowmobile truck ramps?

Are these things a major pain or do sleds drive right up? I could see major issues if a carbide hooked the edge or the ramp kicked out.

Got my pontoon sitting on the snowmobile trailer now so need a cheaper option than buying another trailer.

Screenshot_20201205-074240.png

I'm not talking about a sled deck, all kinds of room for error at that angle.

My trucks on 33" tires and has a headache rack, I'm not worried about launching onto the cab.  I haul my RZR in my truck 2-3 times a year loaded with 2x12 ramps.

If I do this it will be for all winter so if it's going to suck, I'll just spend a little more and buy a used trailer.

12 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I had a set of these...worked good.

101201DB-4CBA-4CB4-8EDB-98C96F6C7E83.thumb.jpeg.b0825cf522d4901f8b773442bf163b06.jpeg

got one of those here for sale $250   it doesnt have the flat mats on the ramps its got cleats instead.  ?   gots a trifold flat ramp also, that one has flat ski guide/mats   $180

2 minutes ago, old indy said:

got one of those here for sale $250   it doesnt have the flat mats on the ramps its got cleats instead.  ?   gots a trifold flat ramp also, that one has flat ski guide/mats   $180

Shipping would kill the value there I would think.  Things must be 60+ lbs?

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, old indy said:

My bad...wrong picture..mine looked like this...

E4D6DF54-941A-475E-950D-D3A94289FF2F.jpeg.f3cfc0f93a420e0088b5414c59faf292.jpeg

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

My bad...wrong picture..mine looked like this...

E4D6DF54-941A-475E-950D-D3A94289FF2F.jpeg.f3cfc0f93a420e0088b5414c59faf292.jpeg

See I don't care much for that design, looks like trouble.  It probably works fine, how is it for a wheeler in the back?  I'm looking at the 8 foot long ramps.

I have an early version of the RevArc.  It had the cleats.  I used the bejeezus out of the thing and wore out the cleats.  New, aggressive carbides would catch on the cleats.  That created other problems and damn near tore the ramp to pieces.   Worked pretty good if I eliminated the carbide issue.   I ended up replacing the cleats with low profile grip glides.  The glides did add a little weight, but they made it easier to use.   I've probably used the ramp with glides about 50 times so far.  They are holding up pretty well.  Carbides became a non issue.

Once and awhile, I use one of the shorter Caliber ramps.  It works in a pinch.  Just make sure it is anchored and you have a little run before hitting.  Track tends to spin out if you try a slow creep on smooth ground.

Anchoring the ramps will save you a ton of headaches.  I used to be a little lazy about that step and damn near got into trouble a couple times.  A lot of earlier ramps didn't address anchoring the ski sections.  I modified the RevArc to address that problem.  The Caliber is a little more forgiving with the way the ski guides fold. 

Either one works pretty good.  I tend to use the Arc because of the traction bar and narrow folding.  Traction bar helps protect the nice looking floor and driveway.  The narrow folding allows me to stuff it beside the track inside the truck bed.

BTW, most of these things are built light for ease of use.  New studs used to punch holes right into the frame cross members.  I've replaced the cross members with heavier material over the years.

• Like 2

I got one like 10 yrs back . Worst part is as I am constantly lending it out to buds . In fact a bud just ran over this am to grab it to run down to IA to grab a sled . Best money you will spend . The caliber one is nice and about a foot longer than mine . 

I can even back my wildcat trail up it and in to the bed of my truck lol 

20200910_194628.jpg

• Like 2

Also if you are in a club ask guys in your club if they need any caliber stuff . If a few do call him up and see if he will do a club group buy . I know 1 club around me dose a yearly group buy and get a real good price from them . 

As far as kicking out cant really happen . A quick pull tie strap hooks from about 3/4  up center of ramp to recever hitch or bumper etc 

• Thanks 1

Wife got me a pretty sweet set of Black Ice ramps for my Bday in October.  Haven't used them yet, but this 3/4 ton truck I have now sits quite a bit higher than a 1/2 tonner, so I'm glad.  Well made, angles not too steep, and they have some straps to ensure they don't slip off.  Wrecked my back a couple years ago, dead lifting a sled with two weak tits into a pickup.  Never again.

Amazon.com: Black Ice 94" x 54" Snowmobile Loading Ramp with Extra Wide Glides: Automotive

29 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

I ordered up the Caliber ramp.  It ships from MN so I have to pay tax on it but it will be here in 5 days.

I should have checked Amazon to avoid the tax  :wall:

sled ramp.jpg

That's what I have. Going on the third season with it. It is well built and makes loading and unloading safe and easy. The worst part is storing the ramp with the sled loaded. If you don't have room to the sides it needs to go underneath.  I essentially just do a squat with the sled on my shoulder to move it around. 

For 4 wheeling season I take the ramp apart and just use the ski glide sections. Those get strapped to my truck when loading and unloading so they don't move. Then they get stored one on each side of my wheeler. Nice to have one ramp that does both.

I just have one sled so running up to the shore from southern minnesota is easy with just a sled in the back of my truck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

Wife got me a pretty sweet set of Black Ice ramps for my Bday in October.  Haven't used them yet, but this 3/4 ton truck I have now sits quite a bit higher than a 1/2 tonner, so I'm glad.  Well made, angles not too steep, and they have some straps to ensure they don't slip off.  Wrecked my back a couple years ago, dead lifting a sled with two weak tits into a pickup.  Never again.

Amazon.com: Black Ice 94" x 54" Snowmobile Loading Ramp with Extra Wide Glides: Automotive

The last 2 times I dead lifted a sled I used my cherry picker in the garage, but that is only good in the garage.   I do have a 9000 lb winch mounted in the bed of my truck which was the best mod I've ever done, super back saver and I used it to pull my dock out of the lake this year worked fucking tits!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

That's what I have. Going on the third season with it. It is well built and makes loading and unloading safe and easy. The worst part is storing the ramp with the sled loaded. If you don't have room to the sides it needs to go underneath.  I essentially just do a squat with the sled on my shoulder to move it around. 

For 4 wheeling season I take the ramp apart and just use the ski glide sections. Those get strapped to my truck when loading and unloading so they don't move. Then they get stored one on each side of my wheeler. Nice to have one ramp that does both.

I just have one sled so running up to the shore from southern minnesota is easy with just a sled in the back of my truck.

I usually ride solo also.  This year I'm going to tag along on 1 or 2 of the hcs north shore rides.  My destinations are usually Our Place and The Trestle and if they're going to be closed all winter I might aim further north.

I’ve got one similar to this although it has 3 points to fold up instead of 2. I put some long plastic runners on it just going past the edge a little so I wouldn’t catch a carbide. Folds up enough to slide in next to the sled and tie it down or throw it under the track if I have another person to lift up the sled while I put it under. It’s handy when the trailer is full and need to haul one in the truck and especially off-season when there are no snowbanks and want to move one sled without dragging the trailer around. During the season though I get lazy and many times don’t feel like screwing with the ramp so I don’t bother using it if I know there are snow banks to use  

E36C4AF4-7E0F-40E5-BC08-0D619A25216C.jpeg

Edited by Crowder