Early voting starts in Arizona with record-breaking turnout

3 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Letting voting roll on for 2, 3, 4 months for an election is an absurd length.  

Why? How does that impact the vote? Are votes more easily manipulated if a vote is cast in advance versus on Election Day? How does that happen?

15 minutes ago, SSFB said:

A week? What if the candidate dies after the early voters go to the ballots? :lol: 

Your argument holds no weight. A vote cast a month early is just as valid as a vote cast on Election Day except in bizarre hypotheticals. How many examples can you cite for the hypotheticals you gave?

I'll circle back around to this one.

The Googler tells me Trump is 74 and Biden 77, 78 in just over a month.  For all we know, they are one foot on solid ground and the other on the banana peel next to the grave.

Dies shortly before the election?  Paul Wellstone? 

4 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I'll circle back around to this one.

The Googler tells me Trump is 74 and Biden 77, 78 in just over a month.  For all we know, they are one foot on solid ground and the other on the banana peel next to the grave.

Dies shortly before the election?  Paul Wellstone? 

How is that hypothetical anymore likely than them dying between Election Day and inauguration? 

Your logic dictates that candidates should take office immediately after the vote is tallied. What if they die before they take office? Are you here to argue for immediate placement into office?

2 minutes ago, SSFB said:

How is that hypothetical anymore likely than them dying before inauguration? 

Your logic dictates that candidates should take office immediately after the vote is tallied. What if they die before they take office? Are you here to argue for immediate placement into office?

It isn't.  

I'm saying that we should not let the circus go on for months.  It is like a 3rd world banana republic, but I guess we are headed that way anyways.

If you know who you are going to vote for on Nov. 3rd 8 months in advance, great.  Go vote for them on Nov. 3rd. 

If you can't make November 3rd, submit an absentee ballot.  That is what they are there for. 

Just now, racinfarmer said:

It isn't.  

I'm saying that we should not let the circus go on for months.  It is like a 3rd world banana republic, but I guess we are headed that way anyways.

If you know who you are going to vote for on Nov. 3rd 8 months in advance, great.  Go vote for them on Nov. 3rd. 

If you can't make November 3rd, submit an absentee ballot.  That is what they are there for. 

How is early voting any less valid than Election Day voting? You still haven’t explained that. How does it turn the country into a third world banana republic? Do you actually believe that’s how those nations function? 

You also haven’t explained why there should only be one day for voting when there are so many days to do other things. Have you ever filed for a tax extension? Why should anyone be allowed to do that? 

Why is absentee voting more valid for those who can’t be there on November 3rd versus those who choose to vote early? Why is it different? Are their votes more valid than those who can make it on Nov 3rd but choose to vote early? Are their votes counted correctly but others are not?

21 minutes ago, SSFB said:

How is early voting any less valid than Election Day voting? You still haven’t explained that. How does it turn the country into a third world banana republic? Do you actually believe that’s how those nations function? 

Have I said it is less valid?  Why should it drag on for months?  There are much better alternatives.  New Zealand lets early voting go for the 12 days before the election.  What is wrong with 12 days?  Why does it needs to be months, other then it gives the news something to drivel on about...

You also haven’t explained why there should only be one day for voting when there are so many days to do other things. Have you ever filed for a tax extension? Why should anyone be allowed to do that? 
One day?  Why not?  You are arguing for 2-3-4 months based on a similar logic of pretty much "just because."  I'm fine with something in the middle, but seriously, why so long?  There are to be some kind of reasonable time frame.  2-3-4 months is not a reasonable time frame.  I don't even then that long to renew my tabs.  I'm almost certain that is 30 days from the day it is mailed to me.  

Why is absentee voting more valid for those who can’t be there on November 3rd versus those who choose to vote early? Why is it different? Are their votes more valid than those who can make it on Nov 3rd but choose to vote early? Are their votes counted correctly but others are not?

Again, where have I argued the validity, or that those votes shouldn't be counted?

• Platinum Contributing Member

Early voting makes this country a banana republic...really? How about a President that discourages early voting and spends months saying that if he loses it’s only because of voter fraud and won’t commit to a peaceful transition of power. Let’s also not forget him telling his mouth breathing Toadies to monitor and watch polling sights which is illegal BTW. 

11 hours ago, SSFB said:

I voted today. Tell me why I shouldn’t be able to. 

I applied for an absentee ballot, filled it out and dropped it off yesterday at town hall in the special box.  There were two cars behind me doing the same thing, a month out.  I doubt our friggin liberal state will get Trump any electoral votes, but I still smell blowout.   :snack: 

19 hours ago, SSFB said:

Why? How does that impact the vote? Are votes more easily manipulated if a vote is cast in advance versus on Election Day? How does that happen?

but why? what is the prob with a system we have had in place for over 100yrs . and why is it always 1 party who has to attempt the change the system every 4 yrs? is there really a prob taking 1 fucking day or 10 to 60 min every 2 yrs ? really that taxing on people ? small price to pay to live in the USA . 

12 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Early voting makes this country a banana republic...really? How about a President that discourages early voting and spends months saying that if he loses it’s only because of voter fraud and won’t commit to a peaceful transition of power. Let’s also not forget him telling his mouth breathing Toadies to monitor and watch polling sights which is illegal BTW. 

It kind of does, to an extent.  Why should "early voting" extend for months on end?  My first statement was premature, or short sited at best.

2-3-4 months? 

Why not 6-12-24 months?

I'm for a reasonable time frame, say 2 weeks. 

I really do think the time frame allowed is quite unreasonable.

All it really does at the end of the day is give something for the media to drivel on about endlessly.

"4% of early voters 19 weeks before the election blah blah blah."