2020 deer season.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Been scouting hard and moving a few stands and trail cams lately and damn....owned the first part of my farm since 07 and slowly added since and to date never seen the quantity and quality of bucks I have so far this year.   Dates on all pics not accurate.   All are from the last week.  These are all different deer and I got another 3-5 decent ones on cam already! 

WGI_0034.JPG

WGI_0165.JPG

IMAG1559.JPG

STC_0144.JPG

STC_0118.JPG

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Highmark said:

Been scouting hard and moving a few stands and trail cams lately and damn....owned the first part of my farm since 07 and slowly added since and to date never seen the quantity and quality of bucks I have so far this year.   Dates on all pics not accurate.   All are from the last week.  These are all different deer and I got another 3-5 decent ones on cam already! 

WGI_0034.JPG

WGI_0165.JPG

IMAG1559.JPG

STC_0144.JPG

STC_0118.JPG

HM, can I hunt with you? :ashamed:

Nice deer, that buck in the bottom pic is a bruiser.

3 hours ago, snoughnut said:

HM, can I hunt with you? :ashamed:

Nice deer, that buck in the bottom pic is a bruiser.

His head up makes him appear a bit better than he is.   2nd buck is the highest scoring buck.   Likely 175+.

Resized_IMAG0977_366357924054826.jpeg

Edited by Highmark

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

His head up makes him appear a bit better than he is.   2nd buck is the highest scoring buck.   Likely 175+.

Resized_IMAG0977_366357924054826.jpeg

He’s a dandy but he needs more mass, give those deer another year or 2 and they’ll be monsters. 

Buck #3 is a beauty,,,he would be a monster with matching sides but he's very unique and mature by the 1 pic. Imagine dropping him with a long broadside shot to the left side,think you shot a monster 12 point , walk up and find this,,,,, belly full of mixed emotions.

Here is one laying right by side of road...a little over a mobth ago.

20200827_174207.thumb.jpg.d54be0b49130f64574c75dcd0f98aa65.jpg. A little off topic but here are 8 of my little pet foxes that show up every night @11 p.m sharp for some cat food and suet.  Have had as many as 10 at once and always at least 6 every night. Used to be 3 regulars but I guess they told their buddies.  Some have been showing up for over 3 years now.

20200914_234923.thumb.jpg.4203bcdfc7e6c6568b2db28acd969eab.jpg

• Like 3

I've only gotten one buck on my cams so far this year, and a couple of does. 

It's difficult for me to keep deer here year after year. The road that runs along our property is a killer. 

Also, I have to contend with poaching, and coyotes. 

I'm surrounded by a road, and two subdivisions. 

I'd rather kill a coyote than kill a deer. 

8 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

It's difficult for me to keep deer here year after year. The road that runs along our property is a killer. 

Yotes don't hurt the deer population much if any in my area.   I have yotes everywhere and an extremely strong deer population.

Not saying they don't kill any but the impact is small unless the deer population is already small.

I rarely find deer carcasses until after the season and those are just as likely deer wounded during season or die during winter from illness.

Depth of snow makes a difference as well.   Deeper the snow the better chance yotes have at wearing a deer down to catch them.  Rarely is our snow depth to that level.  

Ton's of cattle in my area and yotes never take calves.   The adults chase them away.  

Edited by Highmark

21 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

How much property you have?

I haven't seen a buck for a few year's around here. Just does and fawns. I haven't shot a deer for four year's either. I'm not expecting to get one this year either. Way to much hunting pressure around here. My season total this year, one porcupine and one large garder snake.

13 hours ago, small-bore said:

I haven't seen a buck for a few year's around here. Just does and fawns. I haven't shot a deer for four year's either. I'm not expecting to get one this year either. Way to much hunting pressure around here. My season total this year, one porcupine and one large garder snake.

Too bad on the bold.   Right now I'm seeing about a 2:1 ratio on trail cams (bucks to does).  There are more does than bucks but they don't frequent the scrapes as much.  I know of area's that hit the does hard and have a true 2:1 and even higher buck to doe ratio's.   Might do a bit of doe thinning on my farm this year during shotgun season. 

Some brown its down hunters around here but the majority will shoot does and "mature" bucks only.   That has weakened a bit but still is pretty strong in most groups.   Part of the reason Iowa has such good trophy hunting. 

13 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

You should be able to hold plenty of deer on that. Need to screen the road for one ...

I think it's a matter of food supply. My fields are the only one's around for a long way. I don't think we have enough food for them all.

If you add in poaching, jacking, car strikes, and coyotes, bobcats, fisher cats, and bears, it keeps their numbers down. 

I don't even know if I'll go after a deer this year. 

I wanna' kill coyotes. 

6 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

I think it's a matter of food supply. My fields are the only one's around for a long way. I don't think we have enough food for them all.

If you add in poaching, jacking, car strikes, and coyotes, bobcats, fisher cats, and bears, it keeps their numbers down. 

I wanna' kill coyotes. 

#1 reason deer move on or fail to remain in an area is lack of food/water.  More so than predators as they have such a hard time catching/killing them. 

Edited by Highmark

46 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

I wanna' kill coyotes. 

Any crops planted on them?

Plant Norway Spruce along the road in zig zag to screen that. They won't run in road as much & poachers can't see past em

59 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

Any crops planted on them?

Plant Norway Spruce along the road in zig zag to screen that. They won't run in road as much & poachers can't see past em

He's the poacher.  :lol:  

Yes I think that's funny.  :lol:  

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

He's the poacher.  :lol:  

Yes I think that's funny.  :lol:  

He did shoot those two little fawns last year out of season. Mother got hit by a car, he held a baby bottle out for em ... they come running & he blasts them :flush:

• Thanks 1

Just saw two nicely-sized does in the back field, about 45 mins. ago. 

As soon as I re-open my trails, I'll start cruising up back, and I'll see what's around. 

I'll bring the camera and post any I can get a shot of. 

I'm gonna make detours around the big trees that fell on my trails.