Annual Humane Society Fund rasier!!!

odot1

Despite Rupert passing in December.we are still trying to give back!! 

Every year Rupert and I raise funds to give back to the organization that saved his life and enriched mine.  I know money is tight and I don't want anyone to feel any pressure to donate.  We are accepting positive thoughts and comments as well!!!  As many know, Rupert was hit by a car Christmas eve 2009.  I found him while on duty Christmas morning.  He was in the median of the 401 and had been there so long his body heat melted the ice and snow leaving him in a puddle of water.  Despite several broken bones in his left rear leg and a blown out right rear knee he did not whimper, bark or bite when I picked him up.  I could hear his bones grinding... but he was tough!!  and stubborn...soooo very stubborn.  A plea for his owner went out... he was only about a year old and obviously some ones pet.  Turned out he was owned by a violent drug dealer who used to beat on him (drug dealer burned to death in deal gone bad 6mnths later). The plea brought in enough donations to fix Rupert's injuries and with the donation of an amazing rehab vet, Dr Cherie White he learned to walk again!!  He can now chase down rabbits and squirrels!!!  Please add your own stories to this thread as well!!!  I've attached the donation site..  You guys have helped me raise the most money each year since I've started.   I can't thank you enough for that!!!!!

This year it's virtual!!  They will be using a map with the image of Rupert to track their progress...  They've also created an award for the top fundraiser and named it the Annual Rupert Award!!!  This has been such a humbling experience...ups and downs...  damn doggies!!!   I'm glad I've been able to drag you guys along kicking and screaming!!!!  I know 2020 has been one fkd up year so I'm not expecting much.  Awareness and well wishes go a long way as well!!!!

Donate here---> https://www.canadahelps.org/me/jn8yGkf

The story of Rupert

“Rupert was struck by a car early Christmas morning 2009 on a bleak stretch of the 401 highway just west of Kingston. The stalwart Lab was found in a ditch where he'd dragged himself after suffering severe injuries to both hind legs, including a shattered femur and badly torn ligaments. OPP officer, Sean McCaffrey was directed to the dog by a passerby.

"After being flagged down, I followed the small trail of blood to the dog who, having lain there long enough to melt the snow and ice beneath him, was shivering in a pool of frigid water," said McCaffrey. "Rupert did not whine or growl when I approached him. He shivered and wagged his tail and gobbled some food and allowed me to cover him with my coat and hold him to warm him." 

Rupert was transported to the Kingston Regional Pet Hospital. The next morning, Boxing Day, brought a sad turn to the dog's story. It seemed that Rupert's injuries might be too severe to be successfully operable. The afternoon of the 26th saw an improved prognosis for Rupert, with recovery possible although amputation of one leg likely. Rupert's comfort was a priority throughout the evaluation period and he was kept pain-free and at ease.

Rupert's case was then brought to the attention of Dr. Parker and the Ottawa orthopedic surgeon agreed to assess Rupert at Alta Vista. Not only did Dr. Parker think he could help the dog, he believed that both legs could be saved. 

So the young dog made the trip from Kingston to Ottawa late on the 29th and spent the morning of the 30th being assessed. Following the exam, Dr. Parker began surgery to pin and plate the broken femur and repair the torn ligaments in the other leg.

"I spoke with Dr. Parker, a veterinarian orthopedic surgeon at Alta Vista Animal Hospital in Ottawa. He has fully assessed Rupert and he feels the prognosis for Rupert is quite good," said Janice Saunders, president of the Kingston Humane Society, in a release dated December 30th. "The current plan is to repair Rupert's fractured left hip. Damage to the cruciate ligament in the right hind leg was also detected and Dr. Parker is repairing this injury during [the] surgery as well." 

The following morning Rupert underwent a final surgery to adjust the plate and pins and then spent the next five days resting and recovering from the successful but arduous surgery.

When Rupert was first brought to the emergency clinic in Kingston he was a stray with no identifiable owner. The Kingston Humane Society sent out a plea to locate Rupert's owner, unsure of the dog's future and seeking a reunion. The community responded immediately offering concern and financial support for the dog.”

18045_404799655514_1360131_n.jpg

201633_10150441621725515_6310525_o.jpg

21432706_10159440830665515_1645863429700034559_n.jpg

Getting used to treadmill.jpg

Hmmm.jpg

hug.jpg

rupe1.jpg

Sean and Rupert.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, psledhead said:

Almost missed this Sean, donation made. Good on ya buddy!

Thanks!!!!  As usual, you guys are the greatest!!!   This year is a virtual walk, they are using Rupert as the mascot and trying to get him across Canada.  Started on the West Coast and he's right around Calgary right now!!  They've also created the Rupert Award.  Given to the highest fundraiser!!  Always throws me...one little dog helping to do so much!!!  Our total so far is $2600, one of our best years!!!  My faith in people has been restored!!!

Sean

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New credit card was declined for some reason, Sean? I used it tonight getting gas so I am not sure what is going on? I will try again later or tomorrow. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Thank you Irv!  You've always been generous.  I've been walking Rupert's little brother Ollie this year.  Will post a video soon. He's a cool little guy!

No problem at all, Sean. :bc:

• Like 1

I'm getting these 2 messages. I will try again tomorrow and call if required?

-962: There was an error processing your donation. Please try your card again or use another payment method. If the problem persists, please contact us at info@canadahelps.org or (877)755-1595

ERROR:

-971: Sorry. We are having problems processing your payment for the following reason: DECLINED

Just now, irv said:

I'm getting these 2 messages. I will try again tomorrow and call if required?

-962: There was an error processing your donation. Please try your card again or use another payment method. If the problem persists, please contact us at info@canadahelps.org or (877)755-1595

ERROR:

-971: Sorry. We are having problems processing your payment for the following reason: DECLINED

Weird. Haven't heard of anyone having problems like that.  Let me know how it goes.    If I can, I'll check from this end. 

Just now, odot1 said:

Weird. Haven't heard of anyone having problems like that.  Let me know how it goes.    If I can, I'll check from this end. 

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my new card, Sean? Not sure exactly what, but I did have to change/update some info on your link so maybe it takes a bit of time to recognize/change that? New expiry and new CCV and I just had it updated today through Master Card. The recording on the phone said I'd have to type in my pin 3 times when I first used it but when I got gas tonight, I had forgot about that requirement and just used tap. There wasn't an issue using tap, which surprised me, but maybe I screwed something up? 

1 minute ago, irv said:

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my new card, Sean? Not sure exactly what, but I did have to change/update some info on your link so maybe it takes a bit of time to recognize/change that? New expiry and new CCV and I just had it updated today through Master Card. The recording on the phone said I'd have to type in my pin 3 times when I first used it but when I got gas tonight, I had forgot about that requirement and just used tap. There wasn't an issue using tap, which surprised me, but maybe I screwed something up? 

Hmmmm...  that could certainly be a possibility!   I did that with my bank card once..  similar issues.  

2 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Hmmmm...  that could certainly be a possibility!   I did that with my bank card once..  similar issues.  

I'll try to get it straightened out for sure, and if my CC no longer works, I'll just use my debit card if I have too? 

Just now, irv said:

I'll try to get it straightened out for sure, and if my CC no longer works, I'll just use my debit card if I have too? 

I use my Visa Debit more often than not. I think they also take PayPal? 

Just now, odot1 said:

I use my Visa Debit more often than not. I think they also take PayPal? 

Forgot about PP? That's another site I will have to update with my new info with. Thanks for the reminder. :bc:

4 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Lol!  Welcome!!

It might be something on your end after all, Sean? I just updated my Pay Pal info successfully but when I tried to pay that way just now, it also wasn't accepted? Like I mentioned, I'll try again tomorrow then call if I have too? Enjoy the rest of your evening. :bc:

-102: Sorry. We are having problems processing your request. Please try again or contact us at info@canadahelps.org or (877)755-1595

Our support team can help you:
Call: (416) 628-6948, (877) 755-1595 (Toll-free: North America only)
(Monday to Friday 9am-5pm EST)

It worked this time, Sean. Must have been a glitch or needed time to update my new card info?

Good luck with reaching your goal. :bc:

Just now, irv said:

It worked this time, Sean. Must have been a glitch or needed time to update my new card info?

Good luck with reaching your goal. :bc:

Thank you so much Irv!   Ever the generous gentleman!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...