well leak..

pressure tank is back draining into well pipe underground. water is rising to the surface. It stops if i turn pump off, if pump is left on it fill pressure tank, back drains and repeats. Pipe enters house about 6 feet below surface, it is a an indoor jet pump with a venturi. Not sure of well depth. is it worth the bother to dig or should I just get a pro in to do it? I think the leak is close to the highest point in the piping due to the speed at which you will see a flow as soon as the pump shuts off and the pressure tank forces water back toward the well.

Edited by ManOnManOral

2 minutes ago, stealth bomber said:

Must be fairly deep well if it’s a two line system.  I’d be paying someone with equipment to dig it and decide what to do with it once you see what’s up.  Might be a good time to go to a submersible pump.  

Probably good advice. For MC no power lines are burried here.

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

Check the 1 way check valve, should be visible near the pump.

Chck valve is also buried. We dug out about 4 feet and can see the water enter the hole as soon as the pump shuts off. Pipe is leaking most likely between the house and the check valve.

Depending on how far away from the house, probably get the trench dug for a few hundred bucks or less.  The act of digging will fuck whatever line is in the ground, so it will be all new from the house to the well, but shits not very expensive.  About $800 for a real good submersible, plus wiring, pitless adapter etc.  Anyone with a tractor could fill the trench back in.  Better now than January!

10 minutes ago, ManOnManOral said:

Chck valve is also buried. We dug out about 4 feet and can see the water enter the hole as soon as the pump shuts off. Pipe is leaking most likely between the house and the check valve.

Rent a small backhoe, pipe is probably pin-holed underground, seen that many times..I used to do wells and have seen so many issues.

16 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Rent a small backhoe, pipe is probably pin-holed underground, seen that many times..I used to do wells and have seen so many issues.

Well casing is capped underground. Have to trencvh from foundation and find well csing. Fuck it, i am calling in a pro.

49 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

does it look as old as snotty? If you plan on being there a while may be time to say fuck it and replace it all. SOme things aint worth fixing.

We are going to bring in a pro and let them look at the entire system. water here has been great for the past five years. no filters, straight out of well. Hope it is a simple fix but will of course replace anything that is needed. oh well, good for the local economy.

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

does it look as old as snotty? If you plan on being there a while may be time to say fuck it and replace it all. SOme things aint worth fixing.

" Does it look as old as Snotty? " 

So Gravano, you think that was funny? 

Hey, you're 57, and I bet you look as old, or older than me. 

That's ok, I went by Mariano's the other day. 

Some day, I'll catch you after you've stuffed about 6 pounds of pasta in your face, and can barely walk, and we'll see who LOOKS OLD. :groin:   :headshot:  :slapping:  :boxing:

3 hours ago, ManOnManOral said:

pressure tank is back draining into well pipe underground. water is rising to the surface. It stops if i turn pump off, if pump is left on it fill pressure tank, back drains and repeats. Pipe enters house about 6 feet below surface, it is a an indoor jet pump with a venturi. Not sure of well depth. is it worth the bother to dig or should I just get a pro in to do it? I think the leak is close to the highest point in the piping due to the speed at which you will see a flow as soon as the pump shuts off and the pressure tank forces water back toward the well.

It seems like your check-valve has failed. It's probably located near the tank.

I hate paying to have shit done. 

If it was me from what you describe, I would just keep digging until I found the leak. Probably an easy fix.

The well guy is gonna'  hand you a bill for hundreds, if not a thousand. 

I have a shallow well ( about 12 feet ) in our cellar. I have two pumps and fix it myself. 

I hate paying anybody for anything, except electricians, or something I can't do. 

11 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

It seems like your check-valve has failed. It's probably located near the tank.

I hate paying to have shit done. 

If it was me from what you describe, I would just keep digging until I found the leak. Probably an easy fix.

The well guy is gonna'  hand you a bill for hundreds, if not a thousand. 

I have a shallow well ( about 12 feet ) in our cellar. I have two pumps and fix it myself. 

I hate paying anybody for anything, except electricians, or something I can't do. 

pretty sure the check valve is not present and the foot valve is being used as one. the leak is near the surface and if there is a check valve between the leak and the house, there is still a leak. if they wre using the foot valve as a check valve, i will have a proper check valve installed. I will be paying for this. no time to do it myself plus i have very limited experience with wells.

Is it a drilled well with a capped pipe sticking out of the ground or buried below the ground?

Likely a bad foot valve that you can replace by pulling the intake line out of the well. Need a long threaded pipe that you connect to fitting in the well where the line in the well connects to the line that runs from well pipe to your house/pump.

If you have a check valve, it would normally be in the house on other side of pump, but doubt you have both a foot & check valve, but you never know.

4 hours ago, ManOnManOral said:

Sound like that is the issue....line between well and pump in the house is broken.....so losing the prime, system drains, pumps come on and repeat. Same thing if the foot valve was bad.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Had a similar issue where pressure tank was losing water and cycling pump on and off fairly frequently and it was a small crack in the poly pipe near top , so I think your hunch is correct.

1 hour ago, ManOnManOral said:

pretty sure the check valve is not present and the foot valve is being used as one. the leak is near the surface and if there is a check valve between the leak and the house, there is still a leak. if they wre using the foot valve as a check valve, i will have a proper check valve installed. I will be paying for this. no time to do it myself plus i have very limited experience with wells.

Ok, that settles it. Just get a good well co., and let them handle it. It might be more involved than we all think. Sometimes it pays to let someone with the know-how and the equipment to do it. 

I just paid an oil-burner guy to do a small plumbing job for me. He had the PEX line, and the crimping tool. #135.00.

Wrote a check, he was happy, I was happy. Good bye.

49 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

Ok, that settles it. Just get a good well co., and let them handle it. It might be more involved than we all think. Sometimes it pays to let someone with the know-how and the equipment to do it. 

I just paid an oil-burner guy to do a small plumbing job for me. He had the PEX line, and the crimping tool. #135.00.

Wrote a check, he was happy, I was happy. Good bye.

I told you about shark bitre connectors for that job. They are so easy anyone can do it.

3 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

" oil-burner guy to do a small plumbing job"??

Yeah, he did some other work for me also before. He has all the  crimping tools, etc.