What kind of oil do you run in your sled(s)?

What kind of oil do you run in your sled(s)?   

30 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of oil do you run in your sled(s)?

• SkiDoo XPS
    • Polaris
    • Arctic Cat
    • Yamalube
    • Amsoil
    • Klotz
    • Red Line
    • Royal Purple
    • Other

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:12 PM, Kev144 said:

would you let the oil in your car sit for a year and a half even it if had little use? 

yes I would my boat also . I always change boat oil and outdrive  in fall and run it  in the spring

On 12/13/2016 at 9:26 AM, Blackstar said:

My parents are in their 80's now. Dad lost his license so they sold mom's car 2 years ago (a 2002 Neon with 50k kms on it) and kept dad's '12 Escape (less than 50k kms currently after 4 years). They had been going to the same mechanic I use for all service but he retired. The new mechanic I use is a bit further for them so they decided to go to a different guy who was closer.

They don't put on even 10k kms per year. The new mechanic tells them they need to change the oil 4 times per year/ every 3 months.

Of course I tell her that's a waste. Put in a synthetic and change it once a year. Even if the guy said twice a year I could go with it. Now she questions whether she should be taking it to this guy at all.

That's a bit much but if they drive fairly slow and for short distances where some deep heat isn't allowed to build up, he may have a point? 

The only true way to tell, which 99.9% of the population doesn't do, is to have an oil analysis done on the used oil.  

On 12/13/2016 at 11:41 PM, barberch said:

a bit of both. I just find the kit giving me everything i need is convenient and in the overall scheme of things is cheap.

Yes, oil is cheap and with 4 stroke sleds, usually (depending on miles) a once a year oil change is all that is required. 

I believe Yamaha also has a kit, and I also believe the price of their oil/filters has also come down. I don't know, I guess I am overly frugal/cheap or whatever but I just can't bring myself to paying double for something that I know isn't anymore special than what I can get off the shelf for half price or less.

• Platinum Contributing Member

On the 4stroke yamaha oil..It has almost 3 times the zinc and an ester additive than what you would find in a conventional motor oil like mobil1. The added zinc help with lubrication in the shitty environment and high rpms these motors see. The ester additive helps bond the oil to metal surfaces. Automotive oil also has a very high ash level which creates sludge, Yamalube has the lowest ash level of any conventional motor oil produced.

I get the Arctic Cat kit for my 4 stroke oil change at the end of each season. It has everything needed rather than getting bits and pieces. Oil, filter and the washer for the pan drain plug. I think it even has a disposable funnel. I could maybe save a couple of dollars running around buying oil from Canadian Tire, a filter and washer from Cat but then again that would likely be offset by the extra time I spend and the mileage on the truck going to the multiple places.  

6 hours ago, irv said:

That's a bit much but if they drive fairly slow and for short distances where some deep heat isn't allowed to build up, he may have a point? 

The only true way to tell, which 99.9% of the population doesn't do, is to have an oil analysis done on the used oil.  

Yes, oil is cheap and with 4 stroke sleds, usually (depending on miles) a once a year oil change is all that is required. 

I believe Yamaha also has a kit, and I also believe the price of their oil/filters has also come down. I don't know, I guess I am overly frugal/cheap or whatever but I just can't bring myself to paying double for something that I know isn't anymore special than what I can get off the shelf for half price or less.

pretty sure if it says Yamaha on it, you guys in blue underwear think it is way, way better!  Even though Yamaha doesn't manufacture it. They don't  even make their own sleds anymore!

lol

7 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

On the 4stroke yamaha oil..It has almost 3 times the zinc and an ester additive than what you would find in a conventional motor oil like mobil1. The added zinc help with lubrication in the shitty environment and high rpms these motors see. The ester additive helps bond the oil to metal surfaces. Automotive oil also has a very high ash level which creates sludge, Yamalube has the lowest ash level of any conventional motor oil produced.

Link? From the reading I have done, I can find "Nothing" that can prove Yamalube (4 stroke) oil is any better, in any way, than any other available 4 stroke oil.

The Mobil-1 I use, European Formula, is a better quality oil than a regular N/A oil as it does in fact have more zinc in it.

I read, for what it's worth, a Yamalube user had his oil tested (UOA) and it was basically spent after just 600 miles.:yikes:

Lots on TY also use Rotella-T 0W-40 and have been for years without issue. If Yamalube was all that, and it could be proven it is worth 2-3 X times the price of regular or synthetic oil, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but most, who don't believe the hype/crap, know there is nothing special about it at all.

7 hours ago, 02sled said:

I get the Arctic Cat kit for my 4 stroke oil change at the end of each season. It has everything needed rather than getting bits and pieces. Oil, filter and the washer for the pan drain plug. I think it even has a disposable funnel. I could maybe save a couple of dollars running around buying oil from Canadian Tire, a filter and washer from Cat but then again that would likely be offset by the extra time I spend and the mileage on the truck going to the multiple places.  

Oil and filter can be purchased purchased almost anywhere. Where I get mine is a lot closer than driving to the dealers. What's with needing a new washer every time you change the oil?

I have done hundreds of oil changes throughout the years on a variety of vehicles/machines and not once have I change out the drain plug washer. 

1 hour ago, barberch said:

pretty sure if it says Yamaha on it, you guys in blue underwear think it is way, way better!  Even though Yamaha doesn't manufacture it. They don't  even make their own sleds anymore!

lol

Well, maybe 99.9% of them do? :news: 

Been out on your's yet, Chris? It's been a 2 long year wait for this guy!

On 12/13/2016 at 9:26 AM, Blackstar said:

My parents are in their 80's now. Dad lost his license so they sold mom's car 2 years ago (a 2002 Neon with 50k kms on it) and kept dad's '12 Escape (less than 50k kms currently after 4 years). They had been going to the same mechanic I use for all service but he retired. The new mechanic I use is a bit further for them so they decided to go to a different guy who was closer.

They don't put on even 10k kms per year. The new mechanic tells them they need to change the oil 4 times per year/ every 3 months.

Of course I tell her that's a waste. Put in a synthetic and change it once a year. Even if the guy said twice a year I could go with it. Now she questions whether she should be taking it to this guy at all.

What pisses me off is they recommend every 5K when the manu recommends every 12K and I think Ford dealer even changed that in the computer.