what are your state's doing for fall sports?

we are having sports but some schools are not going to do it.  I feel bad for the kids,  i saw what missing his senior year due to injury did mentally to my son.  Lots of lost opportunity for HS juniors and seniors as well who won't have a shot at the next level.  

• Like 1

Dane county WI, Badger conf. cancelled football.

My son went through a torn labrum his freshman year and missed time, partially torn acl sophomore year missed more time, fully torn acl junior year missed entire season, senior year called due to covid. He was/is ready to go and continues to work out 2x a day in hopes of playing in the spring. He will play lax in the spring.

He has literally been through hell and now this. I think I took the news harder than he did. Fishing and hunting kept him going. When he plays again I feel sorry for the other team, he is on a mission!!!!

7 minutes ago, Barfy said:

My son went through a torn labrum his freshman year and missed time, partially torn acl sophomore year missed more time, fully torn acl junior year missed entire season, senior year called due to covid. He was/is ready to go and continues to work out 2x a day in hopes of playing in the spring. He will play lax in the spring.

He has literally been through hell and now this. I think I took the news harder than he did. Fishing and hunting kept him going. When he plays again I feel sorry for the other team, he is on a mission!!!!

that sucks,  I feel bad for your son as missing senior year sucks

my son tore his ACL playing basketball summer after his sophomore year,  tore it again summer after his junior year playing football and tore it partially his senior year at track practice.  Kid only got varsity letters in football and basketball because he played varsity as a freshman and sophomore.  Senior year he got no sports in besides swim season which was really just rehab.

I hear you on the bold.  I could not get myself to go to a football or basketball game his senior year.  I skipped basketball games his freshman and sophomore years to go riding as I always figured I'd go to them all as a junior and senior when they would have been in championship conversation. 

22 minutes ago, Barfy said:

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

my son tore his ACL playing basketball summer after his sophomore year,  tore it again summer after his junior year playing football and tore it partially his senior year at track practice.  Kid only got varsity letters in football and basketball because he played varsity as a freshman and sophomore.  Senior year he got no sports in besides swim season which was really just rehab.

I hear you on the bold.  I could not get myself to go to a football or basketball game his senior year.  I skipped basketball games his freshman and sophomore years to go riding as I always figured I'd go to them all as a junior and senior when they would have been in championship conversation. 

Guys, don't take this the wrong way, but when I hear stories about kids tearing muscles and tendons over multiple years it makes me wonder why they are having these issues?  Are they pushing it too much?  You have to give your body time to heal and are they taking the time to do that?  Just wondering what your thoughts are.

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Sadly the powers in charge are only focused on the virus which kids under 19 aren't impacted any more than the flu.   They take ZERO consideration of the other impacts lack of activities and being with one another does.   Its fucking ridiculous.    

2 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

That will be cancelled this year as well.

Honestly I'm starting to get a bit concerned about Northern, Wi.   I have a place to stay but if the hotels and bars shut down again so will the grooming.   I can handle trail beers and eating at the cabin but if the grooming money dries up then the sport is fucked.  Could seriously push Cat and Yammie out of the sport.   That would suck. 

Edited by Highmark

10 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Guys, don't take this the wrong way, but when I hear stories about kids tearing muscles and tendons over multiple years it makes me wonder why they are having these issues?  Are they pushing it too much?  You have to give your body time to heal and are they taking the time to do that?  Just wondering what your thoughts are.

looking back i would never have allowed my son to play 150-200 games a year which is roughly what he did in junior high between football basketball and baseball then track.  Prior to the ACLs there was no serious injuries,  a growth plate fracture and an ankle sprain but the long term wear could not have been good for him.  We made him wait till 7th grade to start playing AAU basketball but by then it was a 16 game school basketball season,  12 game rec basketball season,  30 games town travel basketball and 100 games in AAU basketball and then 10 football games and 10 track meets.  

It's also clear their is something wrong with his joint with it happening multiple times,  he did a good job at rehab both times and the surgeon is top notch.    

Edited by Angry ginger

11 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

looking back i would never have allowed my son to play 150-200 games a year which is roughly what he did in junior high between football basketball and baseball then track.  Prior to the ACLs there was no serious injuries,  a growth plate fracture and an ankle sprain but the long term wear could not have been good for him.  We made him wait till 7th grade to start playing AAU basketball but by then it was a 16 game school basketball season,  12 game rec basketball season,  30 games town travel basketball and 100 games in AAU basketball and then 10 football games and 10 track meets.  

It's also clear their is something wrong with his joint with it happening multiple times,  he did a good job at rehab both times and the surgeon is top notch.    

Thanks for that honest response. 

We just had a pretty volatile board meeting the other day. Have been back and forth with sports and school attendance. The parents went ballistic when they cancelled all extra curricular activities and decided to do the first month of back to school E-learning. So as of Monday all extra curriculars resume and kids will be attending school August 17th. 

24 minutes ago, Anler said:

We just had a pretty volatile board meeting the other day. Have been back and forth with sports and school attendance. The parents went ballistic when they cancelled all extra curricular activities and decided to do the first month of back to school E-learning. So as of Monday all extra curriculars resume and kids will be attending school August 17th. 

Many around here all want elementary up to 4th or 5th grade  (free babysitters) and the older grades can do online learning

As far as sports, they are not sure yet.

Edited by racer254

Fall Tennis is a go although they have changed the format of meets to be 1 vs 1 instead of multiple school events.  My kids aren't going beyond HS but it is sad for these kids to miss that experience.

A guy I work with has a Son who is a legit D1 Football recruit.  As I believe the MN season will be cancelled or moved, they are looking at sending him to a prep academy in Florida to play.

25 minutes ago, frenchy said:

yes having uncoordinated sedentary socially awkward kids is so much better :lol: 

He has to be trolling, a spaz or maybe both. 😂