Random Photo Thread

• Gold Member

@SnowRider I had to "remove" a pilated woody because I couldn't stop him from eating my house. He also completely wrecked two trees in the yard. I tried everything to scare him away but he just wouldn't leave. Amazing looking birds tho.  :bc:

3 hours ago, Kivalo said:

@SnowRider I had to "remove" a pilated woody because I couldn't stop him from eating my house. He also completely wrecked two trees in the yard. I tried everything to scare him away but he just wouldn't leave. Amazing looking birds tho.  :bc:

I had one last house that I was about ready to take my shotgun to, figured I'd just repair or re side the house after I confirmed the fucker was dead.  :lol: 

• Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
19 minutes ago, ckf said:

180° Panorama mode from  the new drone. 

20201202-DJI_0329.jpg

How far away from the drone are you?? That thing seems way up and out there!!

14 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

How far away from the drone are you?? That thing seems way up and out there!!

Just over a mile away from the drone. I think it was at between 200-300 feet agl (above ground level) at the time.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ckf said:

Just over a mile away from the drone. I think it was at between 200-300 feet agl (above ground level) at the time.

Man, that's so cool!! I take it you're on shore of the picture?

No, I was a little over 6000 feet behind it. With a clear line of sight with no wifi interference it will go up to 6 miles. I've had my other one that doesn't have as good of a connection as my new one 3 miles away. 

Their new Mini 2 has the same connection as my new one is $500. That's a lot of tech for the money.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2020 at 3:01 PM, SnowRider said:

An afternoon visitor.  Pileated Woodpecker - largest in North America.  We have a couple nesting pairs close by.

550A4E92-58C4-42BC-8E6B-4C1C41BA0A2F.jpeg

D657ED79-2C05-4097-BC7D-D4CD2C5E00F6.jpeg

A23823C6-3BB0-4B6A-A895-39AF1E4EC243.jpeg

746560A3-6806-4704-8F09-3891205E3FCB.jpeg

Do they do any damage to homes or out buildings?

1 minute ago, The One said:

Do they do any damage to homes or out buildings?

Not the Pileated.  Have a handful of woodpecker holes - mostly on corner trim from smaller species.  Usually have about 6-7 different species of woodpeckers visit the feeders.  

On 11/30/2020 at 4:06 AM, Kivalo said:

Fortunately they haven’t damaged the house.  A few smaller species have pecked a handful of small holes on the corner trim.  

I’ve watched them go to town on a locust and red pine stumps.  Chunks were flying.  Glad it wasn’t the house  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Not the Pileated.  Have a handful of woodpecker holes - mostly on corner trim from smaller species.  Usually have about 6-7 different species of woodpeckers visit the feeders.  

Saw 2 the other day on my dad's shop , big buggers 

Edited by The One

1 hour ago, SnowRider said:

Fortunately they haven’t damaged the house.  A few smaller species have pecked a handful of small holes on the corner trim.  

I’ve watched them go to town on a locust and red pine stumps.  Chunks were flying.  Glad it wasn’t the house  

That would be cool to see 

2 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

View from the office today

20201207_132734.jpg

Nice view.  What’s your path to being a Captain? Are you anchored up and boats come to you to refuel?