OFATV and EOTA trails requirements in Gilmour area

Fluffy

Hey Odot1,

I wonder if you could shed some light what is required (and where) to ATV in the Gilmour area.  

As of yesterday the EOTA and the OFATV are no longer having discussions with working together.  I was hoping these two organizations with figure things out.
I did not want to asked either organization these question but rather a third party who has a good understanding of the situation and especially since your SAVE team provides coverage in this area.  

And as always, you are very knowledgeable and helpful!

Both organizations have some of the same trails on their maps so it is confusing what pass is truly needed.  For example, the rail trail into Coe Hill and some of the trails east of Hwy 62 which I believe are on crown land.
My understanding is the heritage rail trail is kind of private property but leased to the EOTA. So a pass is required for it.  But I have been told that many other listed trails, that are on crown land, really do not require a pass.

I want to support ATVing  but I am not sure what these organizations are offering me.  I am a big flag waver of the OFSC and see great value with my trail pass.  So i see the bennefit with having club(s) support.

Do I truly need one of their passes to ride on crown land and municipal/forest access roads in this area?  I do not need a pass when I drive my truck on them so I not sure why  a pass is needed.

It seem like there is a cash grab going on with not much effort going towards the trail system.  They barely put up any trail signs just lines on an on-line map.
I wish to be informed and compliant when out riding in this area.

It is tough to support when I need 4 different passes to ride each year.   I suspect others are the same which must result with people taking the chance and running without passes.

Thanks

Steve

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 10:45 AM, Fluffy said:

Hey Odot1,

I wonder if you could shed some light what is required (and where) to ATV in the Gilmour area.  

As of yesterday the EOTA and the OFATV are no longer having discussions with working together.  I was hoping these two organizations with figure things out.
I did not want to asked either organization these question but rather a third party who has a good understanding of the situation and especially since your SAVE team provides coverage in this area.  

Both organizations have some of the same trails on their maps so it is confusing what pass is truly needed.  For example, the rail trail into Coe Hill and some of the trails east of Hwy 62 which I believe are on crown land.
My understanding is the heritage rail trail is kind of private property but leased to the EOTA. So a pass is required for it.  But I have been told that many other listed trails, that are on crown land, really do not require a pass.

I want to support ATVing  but I am not sure what these organizations are offering me.  I am a big flag waver of the OFSC and see great value with my trail pass.  So i see the bennefit with having club(s) support.

Do I truly need one of their passes to ride on crown land and municipal/forest access roads in this area?  I do not need a pass when I drive my truck on them so I not sure why  a pass is needed.

It seem like there is a cash grab going on with not much effort going towards the trail system.  They barely put up any trail signs just lines on an on-line map.

It is tough to support when I need 4 different passes to ride each year.   I suspect others are the same which must result with people taking the chance and running without passes.

Thanks

Steve

X2 on both bolds.

The km markers & the stop signage needs a major refurbishment.

The decking on the Heritage Trail on most bridges is in awful shape. I think even though the carbides & studs cause the majority of damage, the sled clubs are hesitant to repair the decking because the ATVers see the most usage of the trail.

The only project I recall the EOTA being involved in was replacing the bridge by the Bancroft airport a few years ago.

A few years ago an ATV club in Havelock was trying to 'take over' the E107 towards Apsley. I can't see how that would help ATVing in that area. It's on Crown land and there are no bridges. There is no grooming and I can't imagine landowners would want an ATV trail thru their property especially if there were any wet areas (read soon to be mudholes).

I've ridden along the ATV trails and seen where people just ride over trees w/o any attempt to clear the obstacle. Last summer I should've waited for a large group to catch up to me. They could've helped haul brush off the trail as I cleared a large balsam that had fallen across the trail. As it was the came up to me just as I was throwing the saw in the back of the Ranger. I'm sure they knew what I had been doing, but none of them even stopped to say thanks. I imagine they had come up from Nephton & would've known a tree had been on the trail.

End of rant.

8 hours ago, smokin george said:

In our area they're repairing/adding sand and gravel to the rail trail. It's $100K for the work and the atv club is footing half the cost. They do quite a bit of trail work every year

That's not the EOTA though. You can 'ride' the length of the Hastings Heritage trail & you'd be hard pressed to see where they've done anywork.

I think the EOTA caused some issues w/ the implementation of the Hav-A-Ball loop that the OFSC was planning last winter.

• 2 months later...
On 5/29/2020 at 10:45 AM, Fluffy said:

Hey Odot1,

Thanks

Steve

Sorry Steve...  I just noticed this.  Prob easier to get my attention in the pinned thread or via DM.  Thanks for the compliments!!

.But you have a valid question.   On crown land and rds where no Land User Agreement (LUA) or some other type of contract is in place you do NOT need a trai pass.  Having worked and spoken with both EOTA and OFATV folks I can assure that at least some of the money does go back into trails.  It's not as obvious as seeing a groomer creating fresh trails but they do purchase materials, grading etc...  I too wish the ATV world would get their act together and create something akin to the OFSC.  The prob as I see it (my opinion only) is that there still some in these clubs that think it can be a money maker...and they will never get gov't support or funds until they can get along and truly show they are in it to create recreational and tourism opportunities on a local and provincial level.  I will be honest and tell you that we do enforce trail passes..  it is  $65 trespass fine. Having said that I am aware that it is sometimes impossible to know exactly which club area you may be in...I do allow quite a bit of leeway if you present any pass at all.