FSCE Shop Talk

4 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

OEM only.  Lots of grease on the puller tip and threads.  Couple good blowers to shock it with a hammer helps.  The ones that aren't hardened tool steel just turn to a pretzel.

I’ve always used a dab of grease on the tip and slide a finger full of grease up the threads (that’s what she said). Never had an issue and never had to replace one.

oh and yuh..OEM only.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I’ve always used a dab of grease on the tip and slide a finger full of grease up the threads (that’s what she said). Never had an issue and never had to replace one.

oh and yuh..OEM only.

You probably don't leave your clutch on for 5 years and haul it on an open trailer with no salt shield either.

24 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

OEM only.  Lots of grease on the puller tip and threads.  Couple good blowers to shock it with a hammer helps.  The ones that aren't hardened tool steel just turn to a pretzel.

The ones I’m using are hardened steel. That’s why they crack instead of bend. I always use a good high pressure grease on the threads and the tip. I also always snug the puller up good and tight and then give it a couple of good taps before putting more pressure on the puller. 

15 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

You probably don't leave your clutch on for 5 years and haul it on an open trailer with no salt shield either.

2021 sled. It does have 3,000 miles on it and lived outside for the first 5 months of its life. 

I had the puller in the clutch, with pressure on it, looking for my Teflon tape to set it up to pop it with grease (hydraulic pressure trick) when I heard the puller crack. 

4 minutes ago, Legend said:

Water and a bolt. All I ever use. Run that shit in with the impact. I did have a stubborn one that I had to use a little heat once. Some moron must have run it on with the impact.......

I've never been able to get that method to work.  

24 minutes ago, Legend said:

Water and a bolt. All I ever use. Run that shit in with the impact. I did have a stubborn one that I had to use a little heat once. Some moron must have run it on with the impact.......

I used fill the threaded hole with grease, run the puller in with the impact and if it doesn't come off I leave it overnight. Every time I've found the clutch and puller laying in the belly pan the next morning.

16 minutes ago, Legend said:

IMO its by far the easiest way to remove a clutch.

Just haven't been able to get it to work.  Only really needed to attempt it a couple times though.

10 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Use more tape 

Tried that.  Tried that with an impact.  Tried that with Big Earl the 2' ratchet.  Tried it with a Tonya Harding to help shock it.  Nothing worked for me with the water method.  

3 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

I used fill the threaded hole with grease, run the puller in with the impact and if it doesn't come off I leave it overnight. Every time I've found the clutch and puller laying in the belly pan the next morning.

Other than the one that needed heat, Ive never spent more than 5 mins pulling a clutch. I dont use a puller though. A bolt and water. Water is the only thing ever touching the crank. The bolt I use has probably pulled a clutch 100 times, maybe more. Its been around a long time. 

1 minute ago, Legend said:

Other than the one that needed heat, Ive never spent more than 5 mins pulling a clutch. I dont use a puller though. A bolt and water. Water is the only thing ever touching the crank. The bolt I use has probably pulled a clutch 100 times, maybe more. Its been around a long time. 

It pretty much is a bolt

EPI PRIMARY CLUTCH PULLER POLARIS ATV PCP-1

6 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Just haven't been able to get it to work.  Only really needed to attempt it a couple times though.

Tried that.  Tried that with an impact.  Tried that with Big Earl the 2' ratchet.  Tried it with a Tonya Harding to help shock it.  Nothing worked for me with the water method.  

Forget the ratchet. Put the sled on its side. Fill the hole with water, full. Use alot of tape, thread it in by hand so you know its good. Buzz the bolt in. Keep your wrist loose. Let it pop, dont try holding it down. 

Just now, Big Crappie said:

It pretty much is a bolt

EPI PRIMARY CLUTCH PULLER POLARIS ATV PCP-1

It pushes on the crank if its not sealed good enough. And with the end that long you will push out water or grease. Cut it off an inch below the threads. Let the water do the work. 

• Gold Member
16 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

The first time I tried the water trick it took me a few times to get it right but once I figured it out simple never used a puller again. You just gotta wrap the shit outta the bolt with tape make sure it’s wrapped in the right direction too, fill to the top with water put the cordless on it pops off every time.

3 minutes ago, Legend said:

Im sure someone has a video somewhere on youtube. 

Power modz has one that’s how I first seen it in action

Edited by 800renegaderider
  • Like 2

I picked up the 30 inch service cart with 1 drawer from the usual scumbags this summer or something.

Decided I wanted a side tray to put on it.

Have this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/u-s-general-tool-storage/30-in-service-cart-with-drawer-green-56607.html

Wanted to put this on it: 

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/u-s-general-tool-storage/folding-side-tray-for-4-drawer-tech-cart-green-56440.html

Close(ish).  

Strange, because the floor models measured up like it would bolt in.

PXL_20211113_010712660.jpg

• Like 2