FSCE Shop Talk

• Platinum Contributing Member
42 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

6 hours total, I only did vacuum for 30 minutes, and 30 minutes of drain test.

Neal

Nice, I had a body shop quote me $300 to do it I buy the condenser,..I'll probably go that route

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

That's pretty cheap labor.

Neal

Yeah, mechanic suggested calling a body shop as they do that stuff all the time in front end collisions. The company I work for sells to body shops, so I got ahold of one of our paint salesman and he called one of his shops for me... Condenser is $161, so not bad

Got the door latch fixed, plus new rollers on my wife's odyssey tonight.

Went to put in a new rear wiper motor and the nut holding it on was 23 mm.  Who the hell uses a 23 mm nut?  I have pretty good sets and dont have a 23 mm socket.  Had to order one from Bezos to be here Friday.

Added another Cub to the collection. Makes 7 of them. Has the usual issues, some hacked wiring,  loose steering, and a leak in the rearend. Runs great though :lol:  :bc: 

cub 1450.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tried out the new torque wrench today, love it.  Will be ordering the 3/8 version too.

Did valve cover gaskets, plugs, coils, water pump, and thermostat on my Focus today.  Need to rotate tires and change oil tomorrow.  Have to wait until the rtv in the valve cover dries before starting.

20190702_112548.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Put new shocks and struts in my wife's van today.  Had to make a run for strut boots from Honda so it took awhile.  Little tricky getting the springs in the new struts but otherwise not a bad job.  270k miles on the originals.  Just needs an alignment.

20190720_114256.jpg

20190720_114250.jpg

12 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Put new shocks and struts in my wife's van today.  Had to make a run for strut boots from Honda so it took awhile.  Little tricky getting the springs in the new struts but otherwise not a bad job.  270k miles on the originals.  Just needs an alignment.

20190720_114256.jpg

20190720_114250.jpg

God, I used to do all that shit.  Somewhere along the way, I lost interest.  Don’t even change my own oil anymore.  Just work on my toys...still love that.

Didn't you use spring compressors to help with the swap?  

29 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

God, I used to do all that shit.  Somewhere along the way, I lost interest.  Don’t even change my own oil anymore.  Just work on my toys...still love that.

OMG where is @washedupmxer when ya need him...  :lol:

Neal

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

I dont mind doing it if I have time and all the tools and parts. This kind of sucked since I had to make a parts run that took a good hour and a half but at least I got it done today.

There is a local guy just down the road that does good work. Just works out of his house. He does what I cant or dont want to do.

Yes I had spring compressors but just the cheap kind. Nothing like the big strut compressors shops use. They worked, just a little more screwing around. I think on my Focus I'll just pay for the Motorcraft loaded struts.

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

If I can do it, I do it.

Hate paying someone else, I enjoy it, and know it's done right!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

If I can do it, I do it.

Hate paying someone else, I enjoy it, and know it's done right!

Same here.  I can take my time and do it right. Had to pull one strut back out because I didnt have the spring stop in the strut correctly. No big deal, just takes a few minutes. 

Some stuff I just dont have the ambition to do. Had someone out to quote window washing and gutter cleaning today. Dont feel like falling 40 feet down to the concrete.

• Like 1

Yeah, I grew up being a “wrencher”.  I took great pride in knowing everything I did was done perfect and to spec.  I could clean as I went.  Really used to love it.  When I ordered long tubes for my current truck a few years back, I figured, hell...I’ve done at least a dozen of these so, I rolled under my truck to see what i was up against (Tundra).  I just laughed.  I’ve got a local race shop that does all my work now.  Good guys and they know what’s up.

Still, NOBODY TOUCHES MY SLED!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

On 11/26/2018 at 11:29 PM, racinfarmer said:

Anyone ever bought the "cheap" Dewalt aftermarket replacement batteries on Amazon?

I have some 12v tools that don't get used often and am down to 1 working 12v battery left.  

Worth the money so far.  I'd get another set if these die.  Get 2 for half the price of 1 DeWalt branded one.  

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:16 AM, dz246 said:

Added another Cub to the collection. Makes 7 of them. Has the usual issues, some hacked wiring,  loose steering, and a leak in the rearend. Runs great though :lol:  :bc: 

cub 1450.jpg

I have a 1969 !!!  Still runs.  :lol2:

I have a 1998 13 HP Honda, with AR pump, pressure washer.  As far as I'm concerned, you can not go any smaller, for washing a house. Anything less won't do. 

They are rated by cleaning units. PSI X GPM. I think mine is about 12,600.

They require proper maintenance. Gas has to be clean. You have to use STA-BIL for the winter, and you have to thoroughly ANTI-FREEZE the pump if you leave it in a unheated area. 

You also have to RINSE/FLUSH your injector pump after every use. 

A lot of people freeze their pumps. 

7 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

I have a 1998 13 HP Honda, with AR pump, pressure washer.  As far as I'm concerned, you can not go any smaller, for washing a house. Anything less won't do. 

They are rated by cleaning units. PSI X GPM. I think mine is about 12,600.

They require proper maintenance. Gas has to be clean. You have to use STA-BIL for the winter, and you have to thoroughly ANTI-FREEZE the pump if you leave it in a unheated area. 

You also have to RINSE/FLUSH your injector pump after every use. 

A lot of people freeze their pumps. 

learned my lesson on that one.  

I'll pay someone to pressure wash the house,  did pick up a cheapie electric to wash the cars and to wash down my shed which had gotten pretty gross.  Works fine for that but nothing more.  

5 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

New tool box came in last week.  Like it so far just need to finish transferring everything from my old box. I've had thr same small craftsman box since college and it was packed.

20190806_203925.jpg

Nice!  I’ve used Husky brand for years now.  Never a single problem with either and they are a fair price.