FSCE Shop Talk

On 6/10/2021 at 7:55 PM, racinfarmer said:

Anyone up for the ole sparky sparky?

I like this guys style.

The 5000A video came up on my YouTube feed this morning.  Sounded interesting so I watched it, pretty interesting. I'm not much of a sparky but alot someone can learn about the basics of electricity watching that type of experiment.

48 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Anyone here have any experience welding cast aluminum?  

Looking to modify the chicken lever on the Enticer 250.

Clean it real well I might even put some of the aluminum pre weld cleaner on it and I might even pre heat the part to 350 or so. 

1 hour ago, Carlos Danger said:

Clean it real well I might even put some of the aluminum pre weld cleaner on it and I might even pre heat the part to 350 or so. 

1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Lightly burn the parts with a propane torch to get any moisture out of it. Then, good luck. I’m “ok” with aluminum but not aluminum cast. 

Good deal.  I have a few to try on.  I miss the days of just being able to open up the Black Magic catalog and buy a curved brake lever.  And there isn't anything for the old Yamahas.  What you see is what you get.

17 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Good deal.  I have a few to try on.  I miss the days of just being able to open up the Black Magic catalog and buy a curved brake lever.  And there isn't anything for the old Yamahas.  What you see is what you get.

I think a lot of those lever are made of shit aluminum on top of it so even more luck sent your way. The cheaper/shittier the aluminum, the harder it is to weld. 

1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I think a lot of those lever are made of shit aluminum on top of it so even more luck sent your way. The cheaper/shittier the aluminum, the harder it is to weld. 

I think the ones from the 70's are probably pretty decent casting.  I've broken the brake cable before I bent the brake lever on them before.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

i miss coupons.  i still go there but i'm less and less impressed.  

Same.  The coupons don't even get me there anymore because of the fine print pretty much excluding what I want.  I had a nice one for a shop dolly a while back...went there...up at check out..."Oh, sorry...this coupon is only good for/with blah, blah, blah, blah".  I bought it anyway at $30 more than what the coupon said but, that was pretty much it for me.  Only in a pinch now or, I don't care if what I buy is garbage.

8 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

i miss coupons.  i still go there but i'm less and less impressed.  

I keep waiting for the US General 1 drawer cart to go on sale and it never does.  I'd get 2 once it does, but I don't have an urgent need for either one, or I'd have bought it by now.

I still think the 5 drawer service cart is a great deal, even at the full $239.99 price.

Edited by racinfarmer

12 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Looks nice, but $700 bones for a HF service cart is steep.

6 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

Looks nice, but $700 bones for a HF service cart is steep.

Anything similar, from Snap-On etc, is easily triple that. Not many tool manufacturers making carts like this.