Leafs 2016-2018

Kev144

The excuses should start flowing shortly, and will continue until the playoffs are over. Maybe if enough of the leafs watch how the jets play with heart, and determination, they will be better in the playoffs next year, and might actually make it out of the first round. 

On 4/26/2018 at 1:14 PM, Frostynuts said:

The excuses should start flowing shortly, and will continue until the playoffs are over. Maybe if enough of the leafs watch how the jets play with heart, and determination, they will be better in the playoffs next year, and might actually make it out of the first round. 

How can you say the Leafs dont have heart, are you in the dressing room, do you know them personally? They are young and under more pressure than most teams being in Toronto. In my opinion we are way to weak on defence. Dont forget they won 49 games this year most ever by a Leaf team, Marner seems to have heart , and plays hard.  They will improve and with experience  will be in the mix for years to come, which hasnt been the case for many years. GO LEAFS GO

What I mean by them not having enough heart is, certain players, like Jason Spezza, for example, do well during the regular season, but when they have to play and compete at the next level, which is the playoffs, they don,t have the extra in them to give it that extra push required.  When they start getting checked much closer, and start getting hit hard every time they are near the puck, they start shying away from going there. I kinda got a feeling that Marner, Nylander and  Mathews are going to fall in that same category as Spezza. Hopefully I am wrong, but they don,t seem to have enough win at all costs in them. They got a good taste of what the playoffs are all about this round, hopefully next year they can at least get into the second round. And I agree with you on needing a lot of help on the blueline.

• Like 1

Lamoriello is out as GM. Any word if Gardiner will be gone before next season or are Leaf fans across the land going to be spending next season cursing the @ TV when he fucks up?

15 hours ago, revrnd said:

Lamoriello is out as GM. Any word if Gardiner will be gone before next season or are Leaf fans across the land going to be spending next season cursing the @ TV when he fucks up?

He's the new Phaneuf, 28 minutes a game, and a 4 year extension for him next year.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, steve6 said:

He's the new Phaneuf, 28 minutes a game, and a 4 year extension for him next year.

Phaneuf is a good player.   Like kessel.   Both players are not your number one guy like they were in Toronto.  Kessel has thrived in pitts when the lime light is off him.  Phaneuf is a decent dman just not your top pairing.   He played the most minutes against the leagues best players.    Anyone who thinks either one was a terrible player knows little of hockey.  It is Toronto that was the problem and how we handled them  

On 5/2/2018 at 11:41 AM, Kev144 said:

Phaneuf is a good player.   Like kessel.   Both players are not your number one guy like they were in Toronto.  Kessel has thrived in pitts when the lime light is off him.  Phaneuf is a decent dman just not your top pairing.   He played the most minutes against the leagues best players.    Anyone who thinks either one was a terrible player knows little of hockey.  It is Toronto that was the problem and how we handled them  

Anyone who makes it to the big show is definitely a good player, but that aside, you and me must be watching different hockey games. 😀

Throwing this out there as a 'casual' fan of the stick & ball sports. If you're a supposed professional, should where you're playing in make a difference? Now I know linemates help, but you should still be able to produce.

Im not sure if there is a comparison in the real world or not. Unless a person for example a heavy equipment operator is stuck w/ shoddy equipment, he should be able to do the same job regardless of who he is working for.

There is always this "Well he was playing in Toronto with all the media pressure and fan expectations" excuse used when a player's time in T.O. sucks.

Edited by revrnd

1 hour ago, irv said:

Anyone who makes it to the big show is definitely a good player, but that aside, you and me must be watching different hockey games. 😀

Yes likely so.   He isn't a top guy, the leafs tried to make him just like kessel and both players are doing better off the leafs.  Proof in point the leafs were the problem. And management 

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

Throwing this out there as a 'casual' fan of the stick & ball sports. If you're a supposed professional, should where you're playing in make a difference? Now I know linemates help, but you should still be able to produce.

Im not sure if there is a comparison in the real world or not. Unless a person for example a heavy equipment operator is stuck w/ shoddy equipment, he should be able to do the same job regardless of who he is working for.

There is always this "Well he was playing in Toronto with all the media pressure and fan expectations" excuse used when a player's time in T.O. sucks.

Players have to click - winning teams don;t have all the best players

Defense is tough in the NHL - to make a clearing pass you have to have the forward on the same page as you.

This is why McDavid has played with almost everyone on Edmonton - players are not clicking with him

1 hour ago, Kev144 said:

Yes likely so.   He isn't a top guy, the leafs tried to make him just like kessel and both players are doing better off the leafs.  Proof in point the leafs were the problem. And management 

The list of good players that were once Leafs is huge

Matt Stajan

Alex Steen

Daniel Winnik 

Luke Schenn

Tukie Rask

To name a few

2 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

The list of good players that were once Leafs is huge

Matt Stajan

Alex Steen

Daniel Winnik 

Luke Schenn

Tukie Rask

To name a few

No question about that but making Kessle top forward was. Mistake. He hates media and couldn't carry the leafs.   Phaneuf was a decent dman playing most minutes against leagues best players.  He was not a 1-2 dman or captain Toronto tried making him.    The leaf fan base is the most disastrous part of the team.  Flyers for Mathews was disgusting.  Welcome to Toronto, play and win or we will humiliate you.   

37 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

No question about that but making Kessle top forward was. Mistake. He hates media and couldn't carry the leafs.   Phaneuf was a decent dman playing most minutes against leagues best players.  He was not a 1-2 dman or captain Toronto tried making him.    The leaf fan base is the most disastrous part of the team.  Flyers for Mathews was disgusting.  Welcome to Toronto, play and win or we will humiliate you.   

Mathews needs to show up in the playoffs 

Dion was good, too much money for what we got 

Kessel was great on Toronto and is greater on Pitts - scoring machine 

Kessel would fit in with the new leafs I think him a Mathews would have been classic line mates 

29 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Mathews needs to show up in the playoffs 

Dion was good, too much money for what we got 

Kessel was great on Toronto and is greater on Pitts - scoring machine 

Kessel would fit in with the new leafs I think him a Mathews would have been classic line mates 

He would now but not then. He isn't your top guy.   Toronto us generally the killer of talent or the trader of talent. 

5 hours ago, revrnd said:

It's hard to soar with the Eagles when your playing with a bunch of ducks. My son was on a dead end team, crappy players, no talent and shitty coaching. He was losing interest fast. Fast forward,,,,,, I asked he be traded to which he became the team MVP. He had better players to play with, better coaching and a more winning desire. No doubt Toronto has ruined/de-desired many a player by mis-placing them, putting them in wrong roles, etc, but that was part of the old Toronto team who had no clue as they were just in it to make money.

4 hours ago, Kev144 said:

There is no doubt T.O. played him a lot as that's all they had but he was a flop the moment he came from Calgary. Lots of hype but I always wondered why Calgary got rid of him if he was so good? The Pylon never panned out, did stupid things like pinching when he shouldn't have, etc, but I will say, at times, he was better than Gardiner at times. The pressure in T.O. is second to none or maybe second to Montreal, and a lot of guys can't handle it, but to say the Pylon was a good or decent defenseman is a stretch. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, irv said:

It's hard to soar with the Eagles when your playing with a bunch of ducks. My son was on a dead end team, crappy players, no talent and shitty coaching. He was losing interest fast. Fast forward,,,,,, I asked he be traded to which he became the team MVP. He had better players to play with, better coaching and a more winning desire. No doubt Toronto has ruined/de-desired many a player by mis-placing them, putting them in wrong roles, etc, but that was part of the old Toronto team who had no clue as they were just in it to make money.

There is no doubt T.O. played him a lot as that's all they had but he was a flop the moment he came from Calgary. Lots of hype but I always wondered why Calgary got rid of him if he was so good? The Pylon never panned out, did stupid things like pinching when he shouldn't have, etc, but I will say, at times, he was better than Gardiner at times. The pressure in T.O. is second to none or maybe second to Montreal, and a lot of guys can't handle it, but to say the Pylon was a good or decent defenseman is a stretch. 

He made it to the conference finals last year :dunno: the moment he left to did decent and same with kessel.   

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2018 at 2:07 PM, 2strokemerc said:

Heard about that while on vacation. Amazing player! His rookie cards, and others, are going through the roof as expected. Glad I got this one a few years ago. :bc:

John Tavares RC.jpg

• Like 1