Leafs 2016-2018

Kev144

13 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

he is  UFA this year and leafs only pay him 2.2m,  I like the guy but the leafs can do better if he is offered 4million by another team

I agree, he is not a 4 mill player

22 hours ago, Renegade X said:

I agree, he is not a 4 mill player

22 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

he is  UFA this year and leafs only pay him 2.2m,  I like the guy but the leafs can do better if he is offered 4million by another team

It would be a disgrace if he got 4mil. He's a 2.5-3mil at most in my eyes, probably will get more on the open market though.

Not sure signing Zaitsev (sp?) for 7 years was a great choice. 

16 minutes ago, Let it Snow! said:

It would be a disgrace if he got 4mil. He's a 2.5-3mil at most in my eyes, probably will get more on the open market though.

Not sure signing Zaitsev (sp?) for 7 years was a great choice. 

Zaitsev is 4.5 million with signing bonus of 3 million (not included in team cap) but I agree so far not worth it, but than again Kadri wasn't either but is now, he is playing great.

here is a good site for salaries https://www.capfriendly.com/   

just click on a team

1 hour ago, Let it Snow! said:

The signing bonus stuff just makes their money lockout proof.

for the player the taxes are far smaller on signing bonuses vs salaries

but you are right they do count for the cap. but if signing or performance bonuses make the team go over the cap its added to the next year. 

34 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

for the player the taxes are far smaller on signing bonuses vs salaries

but you are right they do count for the cap. but if signing or performance bonuses make the team go over the cap its added to the next year. 

I thought the AAV counted and only bonus' went on to next year if it put the team over the cap.

18 minutes ago, Let it Snow! said:

I thought the AAV counted and only bonus' went on to next year if it put the team over the cap.

What counts against the cap?

• Players who have been on the Active Roster. Some may be inactive now but the time spent on the Active Roster is used to calculate the prorated cap hit.
  • Players on IR and Long Term IR.
  • Buyouts
  • Retired players with contracts signed when aged 35 or over
  • Bonuses count against the cap if met. If the bonuses are met and pushes the team's Cap Hit over the upper limit, the overage is added on to the following year's Cap Hit.
  • All Bonuses are included in the Cap Hit calculation to illustrate the "worst-case" scenario for the team. If the bonuses aren't met, the player's Cap Hit will actually be lower. Therefore the current Cap Hit that you see may not be accurate.

How come some teams are over the cap?

Some teams are over the Cap limit of $64.3 million (for 13/14 season) but still have Cap Space. This is possible for a few reasons:

• The LTIR Replacement amount allows teams to go over the Cap limit.
  • The Bonus Cushion which is the total amount of Performance Bonuses for a team during a particular season. At the end of the season, if the team did indeed go over the Cap limit of $64.3 million due to bonuses that were achieved, the overage gets tacked on to next year's Total Cap Hit.

it doesn't mention signing bonuses specifically

6 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

What counts against the cap?

• Players who have been on the Active Roster. Some may be inactive now but the time spent on the Active Roster is used to calculate the prorated cap hit.
  • Players on IR and Long Term IR.
  • Buyouts
  • Retired players with contracts signed when aged 35 or over
  • Bonuses count against the cap if met. If the bonuses are met and pushes the team's Cap Hit over the upper limit, the overage is added on to the following year's Cap Hit.
  • All Bonuses are included in the Cap Hit calculation to illustrate the "worst-case" scenario for the team. If the bonuses aren't met, the player's Cap Hit will actually be lower. Therefore the current Cap Hit that you see may not be accurate.

How come some teams are over the cap?

Some teams are over the Cap limit of $64.3 million (for 13/14 season) but still have Cap Space. This is possible for a few reasons:

• The LTIR Replacement amount allows teams to go over the Cap limit.
  • The Bonus Cushion which is the total amount of Performance Bonuses for a team during a particular season. At the end of the season, if the team did indeed go over the Cap limit of $64.3 million due to bonuses that were achieved, the overage gets tacked on to next year's Total Cap Hit.

it doesn't mention signing bonuses specifically

That's because signing bonus' count regardless. If not why do the Hawks have Towes and Kane on the cap at 10mil each instead of 2 mil with 8 mil signing bonus?

13 minutes ago, Let it Snow! said:

That's because signing bonus' count regardless. If not why do the Hawks have Towes and Kane on the cap at 10mil each instead of 2 mil with 8 mil signing bonus?

signing bonus can only be 10% of the total contract I believe - sign for 25 million you can have 2.5 million for signing bonus.

A player can only make 20% of the team cap with all in.

• 7 months later...

So Auston Mathews is maybe still hurting.

Why would Leafs not look at schedule and say 1 week to Xmas break.  Austin will play after Xmas and give kid the time he needs to heal properly?

A week plus a few days should help unless his squash was rattled badly in Morgan Riely collision.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, 2strokemerc said:

I saw a game in Tampa a couple years ago. About half the seats were Leaf fans.

Playoffs you never know what will happen, this year could be Boston or Tampa.  We have to meet these teams sooner or later to move forward.

I would be happy to take Tampa out 

11 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

Playoffs you never know what will happen, this year could be Boston or Tampa.  We have to meet these teams sooner or later to move forward.

I would be happy to take Tampa out 

Sure we do.

The Leaf's will choke, disappointing fans once again.

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Sure we do.

We took Washington to 7 games and lost by one shot really,  most promising team in decades.  

I take it you don't watch hockey often :dunno:  we are up with the big boys now and feared around the league 

go leafs go 

3 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Sure we do.

1 hour ago, 1trailmaker said:

We took Washington to 7 games and lost by one shot really,  most promising team in decades.  

I take it you don't watch hockey often :dunno:  we are up with the big boys now and feared around the league 

go leafs go 

Have not watched much this year, but I agree with fail, they are a strong team, able to go toe to toe with any team in a series of seven....only need 4!