Trailer lid grab handle needed.

irv

I am in need of a rear trailer lid grab handle as mine is about to break.

My trailer is a Sno-Pro and I have had no luck contacting them to see if one is available.

My handle is rubber/plastic and I need one with bolts holes that are 10" apart or 10" eye to eye.

I have looked at local trailer stores, and Triton trailers, and all I can find is 9" inch eye to eye.

Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_1328 (Large).JPG

IMG_1329 (Large).JPG

IMG_0508 (Large).JPG

The only man that would fit through that door, is Red Rocket. 

40 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Try calling Reinhart. They are on Heart Lake Road. He may be able to help or point you somewhere. The man door on the back is a nice addition. Not many clam shells have that.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Try calling Reinhart. They are on Heart Lake Road. He may be able to help or point you somewhere. The man door on the back is a nice addition. Not many clam shells have that.

I bought the trailer used and was glad it had that option. Definitely comes in handy, even when it is just sitting in the driveway.

I assume Reinhart is a trailer dealer? I forgot about the trailer place in Port Perry. Going to have to Google him.

16 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Alternate, make your own out of some aluminum flat bar.

Try TJ Welding in Baldwin or Miska trailer places maybe?

Was hoping to avoid metal for obvious reasons but at this point I am game for anything.

Of all the searching I have done on E-Bay/Google, it's surprising this is so hard to find! I am assuming the 10" eye to eye/center to center holes was specific for Sno Pro. 

15 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

x2 on the aluminum, although I'd use tubular.  Couple nice bends, and crush the ends, drill, done.  And you won't be looking for a replacement again. 

Going to see what I can get made at work with some scrap metal that is usually easy to find laying around.

Would prefer a plastic/rubber direct replacement as this trailer is an 07 and has lasted well, but I guess with an aluminum one, like you say, I won't be needing another. 

Thanks guys. 

8 hours ago, Catalina said:

I used a galvy garage door handle. It's shorter, drilled two new holes, put a nut and bolt in the old ones to plug them. Works fine, plenty strong, will never rust. 

Where my handle attaches, there are 2 ribs running vertical where the handle mounts. If I go outside or inside those, I would be just drilling into the thin sheet metal, where obviously, there would be zero strength. Pretty much has to be 10" inches eye to eye for it to work. I did find a handle last night that measures 10.125 eye to eye so I may be able, with a little tweek, that will work?

7 hours ago, Sksman said:

You could check Cerka in Milton.  They are trailer parts dealer.

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, barberch said:

Yeah, when I Google Trailer grab handle, I get a good variety of everything, Chris.

Never imagined getting one 10" inch eye to eye would be so difficult!

I had another look this morning before hockey, and realized, aside from drilling new holes, that it doesn't have to be exactly 10 inches eye to eye as there is enough material there to drill new holes if I have to.

Thanks. :bc:

11 hours ago, irv said:

Where my handle attaches, there are 2 ribs running vertical where the handle mounts. If I go outside or inside those, I would be just drilling into the thin sheet metal, where obviously, there would be zero strength. Pretty much has to be 10" inches eye to eye for it to work. I did find a handle last night that measures 10.125 eye to eye so I may be able, with a little tweek, that will work?

Thanks.

Add a piece of plate as a backer from bolted in old holes and then use a new handle drilled through weaker area that is now reinforced.

Edited by Sksman

22 hours ago, irv said:

I bought the trailer used and was glad it had that option. Definitely comes in handy, even when it is just sitting in the driveway.

I assume Reinhart is a trailer dealer? I forgot about the trailer place in Port Perry. Going to have to Google him.

Was hoping to avoid metal for obvious reasons but at this point I am game for anything.

Of all the searching I have done on E-Bay/Google, it's surprising this is so hard to find! I am assuming the 10" eye to eye/center to center holes was specific for Sno Pro. 

Going to see what I can get made at work with some scrap metal that is usually easy to find laying around.

Would prefer a plastic/rubber direct replacement as this trailer is an 07 and has lasted well, but I guess with an aluminum one, like you say, I won't be needing another. 

Thanks guys. 

I found a part once on Alibaba that I could not find on eBay or Kijiji.

On 11/13/2016 at 6:53 AM, irv said:

Thanks.

Min went through a horizontal bar, so the length of the handle wasn't a big deal. 

On 11/13/2016 at 6:50 PM, Sksman said:

Add a piece of plate as a backer from bolted in old holes and then use a new handle drilled through weaker area that is now reinforced.

Thinking about doing that?

On 11/14/2016 at 8:33 AM, Catalina said:

Min went through a horizontal bar, so the length of the handle wasn't a big deal. 

Realized, after another look, that I had more material/area than originally thought.

I ended up finding a handle off a scrap Snap-On tool box that will work great, I think? I just have to modify (cut) the bracket as it is too big/tall to fit between my rear door and the bottom of the trailer. New holes will be in order but the extra length will come in handy. 

On 11/19/2016 at 1:25 AM, Puzzleboy said:

Extra length always comes in handy.....

LOL.

Handle is installed and it works great! I was concerned, cutting part of the mounting bracket off, that it would weaken it, but it feels solid! My old plastic/rubber handle had some give/movement in it, (likely why it failed) so this is definitely an improvement. 

3 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Pics, or it's not true.  :>)

:bc:

I just have to paint and replace the bolts in the old holes and it will be complete. 

IMG_1701.JPG

IMG_1702.JPG

Edited by irv