Earliest ride?

When was the earliest you were able to ride your sled? Not just around your house, or in a local field. I mean out on a trail. The earliest for me was November 14, 1997. I remember the date because it was my birthday. It was also my first ride on my new '98 MZX 583. In NH you can ride in the National Forrest as long as there is 6" of snow cover. All other trails are closed until December 15th.

In 1997 we were able to ride from 11/14 right through the season. I had to trailer 20 miles to the National Forrest until the rest of the trails opened up on 12/15. My dealer was shocked when I brought my sled in for the 300 mile checkup around Thanksgiving.

• Platinum Contributing Member

I have trailered to the trail an hour and 15 minutes from home to ride around the Dec 10-11 on a couple of seasons. We had open trails here between Christmas and New Years a few years ago.

We usually don't have open trails here until the third week of January.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I have trailered to the trail an hour and 15 minutes from home to ride around the Dec 10-11 on a couple of seasons. We had open trails here between Christmas and New Years a few years ago.

We usually don't have open trails here until the third week of January.

When I was in central NH we didn't usually get started until the second or third week in January. There were exceptions of course. In the 10 years I was involved in the local club I only groomed before Christmas one season.

I could have ridden October 16th, but I was too busy elk hunting.  Late October is not uncommon here for those who can't wait.....it usually melts off with the real base starting around turkey day.....but we also get to ride till May always, and usually the late part of June   :thumb:

• Like 1