Are jobs in construction, trades and utilities good jobs

• Gold Member

Cause robust hiring in those jobs is what was responsible for the jobs numbers in December!!!  Well done Mr President!!!!

https://www.voanews.com/economy-business/survey-us-companies-added-202000-jobs-december

U.S. companies added 202,000 jobs in December, led by robust hiring in construction, trade, transportation and utilities, according to a private survey.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Cause robust hiring in those jobs is what was responsible for the jobs numbers in December!!!  Well done Mr President!!!!

https://www.voanews.com/economy-business/survey-us-companies-added-202000-jobs-december

U.S. companies added 202,000 jobs in December, led by robust hiring in construction, trade, transportation and utilities, according to a private survey.

Son just started HVAC apprenticeship on 12/30. He loves it.   He starts classes today from 10-2 and 4-6 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Son just started HVAC apprenticeship on 12/30. He loves it.   He starts classes today from 10-2 and 4-6 

I’m mean it’s no restaurant server job of the Obama economy but congrats to him for getting a wonderful lifelong career start under the Trump economy!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

I’m mean it’s no restaurant server job of the Obama economy but congrats to him for getting a wonderful lifelong career start under the Trump economy!

or the trudeau economy. and people cant go wrong with trades. my trade has such a shortage it is crazy. seems all the young uns dont want to do anymore than ask if you would like a large latte or small. (fuck, sound like my dad there)

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Hell no, its those McDonald's hiring, those are the jobs we want.

• Haha 1

I am a commercial and Industrial HVAC technician in eastern Ontario and I would not recommend anyone getting into a trade we keep hearing high demand and high paying jobs. I have not seen  pay raise in over 15 years I'm constantly being told to do unsafe or immoral thinks so my employer can make a few extra bucks. My son just completed is apprenticeship in another trade is it now working for a 3rd company having the same experiences I have had for the last 35 years. It upsets me when I see advertisement telling young people there is excellent money in trades that just isn't the case. Another family member just quit his job as a car mechanic for a new car dealership with 30 years experience he was able to go out and drive transport and make more money and everyone knows how much money there is in driving transport these days.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TallCool 1 said:

I am a commercial and Industrial HVAC technician in eastern Ontario and I would not recommend anyone getting into a trade we keep hearing high demand and high paying jobs. I have not seen  pay raise in over 15 years I'm constantly being told to do unsafe or immoral thinks so my employer can make a few extra bucks. My son just completed is apprenticeship in another trade is it now working for a 3rd company having the same experiences I have had for the last 35 years. It upsets me when I see advertisement telling young people there is excellent money in trades that just isn't the case. Another family member just quit his job as a car mechanic for a new car dealership with 30 years experience he was able to go out and drive transport and make more money and everyone knows how much money there is in driving transport these days.

Wow, well that sucks for you guys.  Because trades are in very high demand and the pay is very strong around here.  

17 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Yeah until your body wears out at 40.

Mid 40's. I have a pile of them around here in their early 50's. Counting the days to retirement at 55. It definitely takes a toll on your body. I was looking at back surgery 18 years ago when I got out and went to the management side. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, bussman said:

True. But not everybody has a BIL with a spare tit to clamp on to. P

Ehh , Im 57 , been in trades my whole life. A little beat up but I would be a fat fuck if I was a desk jockey

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Anler said:

Mid 40's. I have a pile of them around here in their early 50's. Counting the days to retirement at 55. It definitely takes a toll on your body. I was looking at back surgery 18 years ago when I got out and went to the management side. 

Sounds like a bunch of frail little Sissy's 

13 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Ehh , Im 57 , been in trades my whole life. A little beat up but I would be a fat fuck if I was a desk jockey

Yea exactly. A little beat up, but I've been at it since I was 19. 

No chance I'd work a desk job.   

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

3 minutes ago, bussman said:

X2

Same here. I'm 55, 35 years in swimming pool construction. Some aches and pains but if I was a truck driver my belly would be touching the steering wheel.

1 hour ago, TallCool 1 said:

Gees, I can't imagine that. Most trades around here are getting $30/hr plus, big union shops are $35/hr plus. Truck drivers are getting $20-25/hr.

Hell, I'm paying $20/hr for unskilled labourers and can't get them to stay. I'm thinking I will need to pay  $23/hr minimum this coming season and more for anyone with a brain.

Just now, SVT MXZ XRS said:

Sounds like a bunch of frail little Sissy's 

Yea exactly. A little beat up, but I've been at it since I was 19. 

No chance I'd work a desk job.   

These guys knock shit down for a living. Bricks, concrete, steel, etc.. They aint pussies. 

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Same here. I'm 55, 35 years in swimming pool construction. Some aches and pains but if I was a truck driver my belly would be touching the steering wheel.

Gees, I can't imagine that. Most trades around here are getting $30/hr plus, big union shops are $35/hr plus. Truck drivers are getting $20-25/hr.

Hell, I'm paying $20/hr for unskilled labourers and can't get them to stay. I'm thinking I will need to pay  $23/hr minimum this coming season and more for anyone with a brain.

I did inground pools the summer after I graduated. That's some hard work, but good $ 

4 minutes ago, Anler said:

These guys knock shit down for a living. Bricks, concrete, steel, etc.. They aint pussies. 

Well they aren't doing it very smart then.  Or you're a cheap fuck and don't get them the equipment they need to do the job right. You being a cheap fuck would be my guess

2 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

I did inground pools the summer after I graduated. That's some hard work, but good $ 

Well they aren't doing it very smart then.  Or you're a cheap fuck and don't get them the equipment they need to do the job right. You being a cheap fuck would be my guess

You have it all figured out. :lol: 

• Gold Member

43 now.  Every ache a pain I have I can relate to snowmobiling or home incident.  3 years army, 1 year as a hoddie, and 21 years in the lines.  Trade has been actually pretty easy on the body if done right.  Some people are just genetically superior and not predisposed to destroying their body with manual labor.  Some just don’t have the genetics for it.

My hearing I have destroyed though to no fault but my own.

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

58. got out of high school went to college for a couple years of debaucherey, then decided office fruitness wasn't for me. HD mechanic since. got great training, travelled a lot in northern b.c. in service trucks. retirement job now at a mill. have had four jobs in the trade and was treated like gold, made thick quid. and tall cool, sorry to hear about your problems out there. as far as beat up, hell ya. but mostly from sports. and ya, steve, i am not quite an ethiopian, but only 35lbs more than i was in high school. with my love of good food and beer, if not for my job i'd be on a tv special about cutting the wall out to get me to hospital. 

• Haha 1