Insurance companies = thieves

stealth bomber

Thanks for the replies.  Seems to be a case of this company (Economical) was the cheapest last year but has had mega claims from young drivers and has jacked their rates accordingly.  Sucks that even the responsible ones get painted with the same brush but it is what it is.  Insurance agent has driving aged kids and seems sympathetic to our concerns.  She is hoping to find something cheaper.  We’ve got a bit of time to hopefully sort it out.

On 12/14/2019 at 10:25 PM, Blackstar said:

My first car was a '71 Super Beetle. Cost me $1500 for the car and $3000/yr for insurance. But I had 4 speeding tickets by then and had been booted from the family car. That was 1984?

I call bull shit...a beetle does not do over 40.....and  in 84 was worth 10 dollars. You should have lived in Brampton then as It was much cheaper. If you paid 3k for insurance way back then that is retarded. 

Edited by Poncho

• Platinum Contributing Member
31 minutes ago, Poncho said:

I call bull shit...a beetle does not do over 40.....and  in 84 was worth 10 dollars. You should have lived in Brampton then as It was much cheaper. If you paid 3k for insurance way back then that is retarded. 

Got the tickets before the Beetle and I had 9 demerit points when I went hunting for insurance.

43 minutes ago, steve6 said:

$499 a month for Kia/Silverado/Renegade/Formula/Seadoo/Boat/House Insurance 😐

Just went down $6 a month.. #winning

Who's that with, Steve? 

I'll have to do some adding to see if I am the same/close or miles away with The Co-Operators. Car, truck, house, boat, 2 sleds, sled trailer, and a Monte Carlo in storage with just coverage for that. 

I just had mine renewed due to retirement and my age but it never went down 1 cent. They did try to up sell me though,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, due to climate change. :lol:

Edited by irv

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 hours ago, irv said:

Who's that with, Steve? 

I'll have to do some adding to see if I am the same/close or miles away with The Co-Operators. Car, truck, house, boat, 2 sleds, sled trailer, and a Monte Carlo in storage with just coverage for that. 

I just had mine renewed due to retirement and my age but it never went down 1 cent. They did try to up sell me though,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, due to climate change. :lol:

Should be looking at Haggerty for your Monte. I have my truck with them and its $300 or so a year with full coverage.

My house is with TD along with the sleds. House I think is around $1800/yr now. I need to revisit that after the improvements.

My buddy was telling me he hadn''t looked at his house insurance in 10 years. They had him insured for $400k. They told him to get an appraisal. Its now valued at $800k.....lol

Edited by Blackstar

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Should be looking at Haggerty for your Monte. I have my truck with them and its $300 or so a year with full coverage.

My house is with TD along with the sleds. House I think is around $1800/yr now. I need to revisit that after the improvements.

My buddy was telling me he hadn''t looked at his house insurance in 10 years. They had him insured for $400k. They told him to get an appraisal. Its now valued at $800k.....lol

My Monte is under some special low rate as they know it is stored in my garage and not being driven. I can't recall the rate/fee off the top of my head but it is real cheap. I've heard of Haggerty and that's who I'll likely go with when the Monte gets back on the road someday?

As far as the other insurance goes, anytime I have called around, some places will beat house insurance but charge more per vehicle or just the opposite. When I crunch the numbers, I am always paying more. I've been with the Co-Operators since I was 16.

My sleds, however, after I was told about TD Meloche (sp?) by Killer on here a few+ years ago, I went with them as they were actually cheaper than the Co-ops. Before I switched, the co-ops told me they were only insuring my sleds because I had so many other things with them but if they had a choice, they wouldn't insure sleds at all.

I talked about my others things with TD and, IIRC, they wanted something like $500 dollars more per vehicle? I asked the girl on the other end if she was reading things right, to which she replied, yes. That is what I always run into. I'm 55 now and unless something increases drastically for no particular reason, I'll likely be sticking with the Co-Op's from here on in. 

57 minutes ago, irv said:

My Monte is under some special low rate as they know it is stored in my garage and not being driven. I can't recall the rate/fee off the top of my head but it is real cheap. I've heard of Haggerty and that's who I'll likely go with when the Monte gets back on the road someday?

As far as the other insurance goes, anytime I have called around, some places will beat house insurance but charge more per vehicle or just the opposite. When I crunch the numbers, I am always paying more. I've been with the Co-Operators since I was 16.

My sleds, however, after I was told about TD Meloche (sp?) by Killer on here a few+ years ago, I went with them as they were actually cheaper than the Co-ops. Before I switched, the co-ops told me they were only insuring my sleds because I had so many other things with them but if they had a choice, they wouldn't insure sleds at all.

I talked about my others things with TD and, IIRC, they wanted something like $500 dollars more per vehicle? I asked the girl on the other end if she was reading things right, to which she replied, yes. That is what I always run into. I'm 55 now and unless something increases drastically for no particular reason, I'll likely be sticking with the Co-Op's from here on in. 

I know with the BMW M3 2005 we picked up earlier this year insurance would not cover collision once it was more than 15 years old.  What year is the Monte?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I know with the BMW M3 2005 we picked up earlier this year insurance would not cover collision once it was more than 15 years old.  What year is the Monte?

74 Pro Street. I cooked the engine 16-17 yrs ago and it hasn't moved since. Hope to get at it one day soon but there always seems to be something getting in the way.

Picture 005 (Large).jpg

So after reading this thread for awhile and some of the comments I was wondering when some of the members will be opening up their own insurance company?

Please send me a pm and I will sign up for the cheap and full coverage insurance right away.

Right off the bat there is at least 50 to 100 sleds that they would get.  Plus word would spread quickly and the phones would ring off the hook.  You could have a ton of business.  And you could rake in huge money.

Oh forget what you have to pay out for claims like stolen sleds that were actually crashed and left as stolen.  Or sunk and missing.  Or actually stolen by a dead beat.  

Or actual accident victims.  And the scammers.

Yes insurance company makes money but Premiums are high because they have to pay for all the claims across their business.  Fraud is rampant.  The real problem lies in our socially correct society who are soft on criminals and punishment.

20 hours ago, irv said:

Who's that with, Steve? 

State Farm..Dejardins I also have a corvette under Hagerty, but its only a few hundred a year. My biggest pet pieve is my sled.. its about $900 a year '1200'. The previous Polaris 600 was only 400 ish. 

Edited by steve6
  • Thanks 1

I just think it should be reasonably affordable for the kids that drive properly.  At least give them a chance.  If they screw up, then they can pay big after that.  Why should he have to pay extra to subsidize the ones who choose to drive like jackwagons and wreck shit?  And we’re lucky really.  While it will sting, we can pay it.  Many people can’t.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 7:24 AM, Sksman said:

So after reading this thread for awhile and some of the comments I was wondering when some of the members will be opening up their own insurance company?

Please send me a pm and I will sign up for the cheap and full coverage insurance right away.

Right off the bat there is at least 50 to 100 sleds that they would get.  Plus word would spread quickly and the phones would ring off the hook.  You could have a ton of business.  And you could rake in huge money.

Oh forget what you have to pay out for claims like stolen sleds that were actually crashed and left as stolen.  Or sunk and missing.  Or actually stolen by a dead beat.  

Or actual accident victims.  And the scammers.

Yes insurance company makes money but Premiums are high because they have to pay for all the claims across their business.  Fraud is rampant.  The real problem lies in our socially correct society who are soft on criminals and punishment.

Sad but very true.