Insurance companies = thieves

stealth bomber

My 17 year old boy has a job, his own car and pays his own insurance.  Drivers education course.  Zero tickets, zero accidents, nothing.  His first year of insurance cost $2400 which we could understand as a new driver.  Just got the renewal in the mail, over $3600.  Just basic insurance on a 2007 Impala.  I’m ready to loose my shit.  This is fucking robbery.  Obviously we’re looking to change companies, is there any left in Ontario that don’t fuck you without lube?  

• Platinum Contributing Member

$2400 sounds like an error. $3600 sounds pretty reasonable. My son was over $4000 for the first 2 years and that was 8-9 years ago.

He's been wit Economical since day one. He was down to $1200 with full coverage last year (at 25 yr old) until they found out about his 1 speed ticket, back up to $2000.

Edited by Blackstar

4 hours ago, stealth bomber said:

My 17 year old boy has a job, his own car and pays his own insurance.  Drivers education course.  Zero tickets, zero accidents, nothing.  His first year of insurance cost $2400 which we could understand as a new driver.  Just got the renewal in the mail, over $3600.  Just basic insurance on a 2007 Impala.  I’m ready to loose my shit.  This is fucking robbery.  Obviously we’re looking to change companies, is there any left in Ontario that don’t fuck you without lube?  

Under Mom and Dad's insurance or his own dedicated stand alone policy? My son, who is now 18, is $2,600 hundred under my policy, and also had driver trng. His car is an 08 Chev Malibu without collision coverage. Collision would double it as would a more sporty/foreign/Asian car. 

We are with the Co-Operators and I have been with them since I was 16.

29 minutes ago, irv said:

Under Mom and Dad's insurance or his own dedicated stand alone policy? My son, who is now 18, is $2,600 hundred under my policy, and also had driver trng. His car is an 08 Chev Malibu without collision coverage. Collision would double it as would a more sporty/foreign/Asian car. 

is he the principle driver?  makes huge difference

quit chur damn bitchin. you could have the honour of living out here and seeing ICBC rape and pillage. feel bad for the young uns. yes, they are higher risk, but holey fuck. glad mine are grown up, for i am sure i'd be on the end of a big bill. and you should see the normal rates for my trucks and bikes.  monopoly here. fucking cunts. and i get a kick out of our moley faced fucked up minister saying it would be close to 13K in ontario. lying fucker. cancer upon him

https://theprovince.com/news/bc-politics/icbc-sticker-shock-young-drivers-walloped-under-new-rate-system

Edited by mtnloverxtreme2
spelling

56 minutes ago, mtnloverxtreme2 said:

quit chur damn bitchin. you could have the honour of living out here and seeing ICBC rape and pillage. feel bad for the young uns. yes, they are higher risk, but holey fuck. glad mine are grown up, for i am sure i'd be on the end of a big bill. and you should see the normal rates for my trucks and bikes.  monopoly here. fucking cunts. and i get a kick out of our moley faced fucked up minister saying it would be close to 13K in ontario. lying fucker. cancer upon him

https://theprovince.com/news/bc-politics/icbc-sticker-shock-young-drivers-walloped-under-new-rate-system

There is certainly something wrong there.  The entire idea is to have no profit insurance with good rates

What are premiums for adults like?  I assume similar or cheaper than Ontario :dunno: 

Maybe you stoners out there just can't drive :lol: 

1 hour ago, 1trailmaker said:

There is certainly something wrong there.  The entire idea is to have no profit insurance with good rates

What are premiums for adults like?  I assume similar or cheaper than Ontario :dunno: 

Maybe you stoners out there just can't drive :lol: 

Van city has the worst drivers hands down, and half the cars have bald tires.  I blame it on the hindis and asians. One winter it snowed like 6” in the city, saw over 100 cars in the ditch on hwy 1 and the lougheed. 

16 hours ago, Blackstar said:

$2400 sounds like an error. $3600 sounds pretty reasonable. My son was over $4000 for the first 2 years and that was 8-9 years ago.

He's been wit Economical since day one. He was down to $1200 with full coverage last year (at 25 yr old) until they found out about his 1 speed ticket, back up to $2000.

I just have a hard time believing $3600 is reasonable

14 hours ago, irv said:

His own stand alone policy.  Just the bare minimum insurance to be legal.  The idea was to get him started on his own so he would take responsibility for his driving habits, I personally know three people whose kids have seriously fucked their insurance rates from multiple speeding tickets and stunt driving.  We were willing to help with the insurance payments if needed, but he decided to pay for the whole year in one shot by himself.  I bought the car for $200 needing a transmission, fixed it, put it in his name and handed him the keys so that helped.    

4 hours ago, mtnloverxtreme2 said:

You wouldn't be bitchin about over 50% increase for no damn reason?  We're not rich people.  We do ok, but it's a lot of money.  Especially for a 17 year old.  We don't mind helping him pay it, but it just doesn't seem fair.  He's a good kid with good driving habits.  Some of his classmates, not so much.   

14 minutes ago, stealth bomber said:

His own stand alone policy.  Just the bare minimum insurance to be legal.  The idea was to get him started on his own so he would take responsibility for his driving habits, I personally know three people whose kids have seriously fucked their insurance rates from multiple speeding tickets and stunt driving.  We were willing to help with the insurance payments if needed, but he decided to pay for the whole year in one shot by himself.  I bought the car for $200 needing a transmission, fixed it, put it in his name and handed him the keys so that helped.    

You wouldn't be bitchin about over 50% increase for no damn reason?  We're not rich people.  We do ok, but it's a lot of money.  Especially for a 17 year old.  We don't mind helping him pay it, but it just doesn't seem fair.  He's a good kid with good driving habits.  Some of his classmates, not so much.   

of course i'd be bitching. i was showing you out 'there' how our rates are even worse.

40 minutes ago, stealth bomber said:

My guess is they originally screwed up and when it came time for a renewal, they seen the error? My son's friend, who also chose to pay his own and have his own policy, pays over double what my son pays, or almost $5,000 a year.

I know all insurance companies are different but to me, personally, $3,600 a year for a 17 yr old "MALE" sounds reasonable. 

Maybe I am way offside but I bet you won't find it much, if any, cheaper anywhere else? My son's car was only $4,000 dollars, give or take, so not a lot of value to insure and I doubt it crosses any thresholds where they think it is expensive.

The costs for young kids nowadays is crazy, especially young males, but that insurance is based on risk, ie, speeding tickets/accidents and public damage/liability and not necessarily the price of the vehicle, especially if one doesn't opt for collision coverage. 

Call the insurance companies and ask them what is cheapest car to insure.

For my stepson it was cheaper to insure a Infinty G35 2 door sport coupe valued @$12,000 then a Toyota Corolla valued at $12,000.

I was told the rates are not only based on driver but on car type being in more claims.   Sounds stupid but reasonable when you think a lot of young inexperienced can afford and buy a Toyota Corolla.   Not many buy an Infinity.  Fewer claims, lower risk lower premiums.

Based on 2 posters having their kids in Impalas or similar I would bet higher insurance for common car.

My stepsons insurance was under $240 a month with G2 for Infinity G35.  Would have dropped below $200/month if he got his full G.  Then he didn’t pay his insurance and became high risk.  That was $500/mth.  Tough lesson for a college drop out to learn.   We live in Milton and he was primary driver car in his name.

On 12/13/2019 at 6:36 PM, stealth bomber said:

I have been driving since 1976 without one claim for 43 years now and pay over 2K a year.....so I’m not surprised....insurance...total rip-off

27 minutes ago, Poncho said:

I have been driving since 1976 without one claim for 43 years now and pay over 2K a year.....so I’m not surprised....insurance...total rip-off

I stand corrected, my wife just reminded me that I claimed a windshield on my 73 Olds 442 in 1982.....the only claim

20 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

is he the principle driver?  makes huge difference

Sorry, Trail, just seen this now. He is the principal driver and even if he didn't want to be, with having 3 vehicles in a family of 3 leaves him no choice.

8 minutes ago, Poncho said:

I stand corrected, my wife just reminded me that I claimed a windshield on my 73 Olds 442 in 1982.....the only claim

Your rates seems expensive, Poncho. I am right around a $1000 a year for a 13 Ram hemi as is my wife with her 17, fairly well appointed Impala. I am 55 and my wife is 53. Do you drive a Mercedes/BMW or another high end vehicle? With only a windshield claim in all those years, that shouldn't even be on your record, you are as low as a risk as they come.

3 minutes ago, irv said:

Sorry, Trail, just seen this now. He is the principal driver and even if he didn't want to be, with having 3 vehicles in a family of 3 leaves him no choice.

Your rates seems expensive, Poncho. I am right around a $1000 a year for a 13 Ram hemi as is my wife with her 17, fairly well appointed Impala. I am 55 and my wife is 53. Do you drive a Mercedes/BMW or another high end vehicle? With only a windshield claim in all those years, that shouldn't even be on your record, you are as low as a risk as they come.

Location plays a part as well.  I'm around 1100, same with wife.  Son is quite a bit more obviously, but my parents paid for my insurance when I was at home, so it's my duty as well I guess.

4 minutes ago, irv said:

I live south of 7 in the GTA and drive 60k per year. I’m 60 next year, 2016 Grand Cherokee....wife’s SL550 is on another policy for the same amount. I’ve given up on switching back and forth. They win, I pay.....

• Like 1

Just now, ArcticCrusher said:

Location plays a part as well.  I'm around 1100, same with wife.  Son is quite a bit more obviously, but my parents paid for my insurance when I was at home, so it's my duty as well I guess.

Yes, for sure, and I think Ponch is from the Toronto area as well? I bought my son his car. I was given one when I graduated so I returned the favor. He pays his own insurance at $216 a month and that's pretty much it outside of fuel and mtce.

1 minute ago, Poncho said:

I live south of 7 in the GTA and drive 60k per year. I’m 60 next year, 2016 Grand Cherokee....wife’s SL550 is on another policy for the same amount. I’ve given up on switching back and forth. They win, I pay.....

2 big factors as I think the Grand Cherokees are high on the list for theft? 

1 minute ago, irv said:

Yes, for sure, and I think Ponch is from the Toronto area as well? I bought my son his car. I was given one when I graduated so I returned the favor. He pays his own insurance at $216 a month and that's pretty much it outside of fuel and mtce.

For the record in 1977 my first car, a 1971 Torino GT was 266.00 per year...my my .....how times have changed...

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Poncho said:

For the record in 1977 my first car, a 1971 Torino GT was 266.00 per year...my my .....how times have changed...

My first car was a '71 Super Beetle. Cost me $1500 for the car and $3000/yr for insurance. But I had 4 speeding tickets by then and had been booted from the family car. That was 1984?

1 hour ago, irv said:

best to be principle drier as soon as possible 

Females pay less (pobably for good reason :lmao: )