Shitty day....

odot1

Many of you know I have a black lab with a kick ass back story...   

About 3 weeks ago Rupert was diagnosed with cancer (two masses) in his left rear leg.  Normally this would just be an amputation and he'd be good.  However due to his extreme injuries from the car accident he was not a candidate.  His best friend and Dr, Cherie White prescribed a pain management therapy and he continued on as normal...well as normal gets for a dog rebuilt after being hit on the 401!!  We had a great 3 weeks of eating and drinking all the food!!  (he may have shared a Corona as well...)  But sadly, Rupert was put to rest this morning.  I am absolutely devastated and working on recovering but as you know all too well, it's not easy.  I will forever be grateful to you guys for all your support over the years with our fundraising.  We've saved many dogs and gave Rupert a lasting legacy.    He was given an extra 10yrs nobody thought he had and lived large!!!  Rest assured, I will continue to work with the Humane Society as best I can.  I can never say enough good things about the work they do!!  

Thanks guys...   I'm going to wipe the tears from my eyes and grab a stiff drink!  To those with pets, hug them tight!!!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, odot1 said:

About 3 weeks ago Rupert was diagnosed with cancer (two masses) in his left rear leg.  Normally this would just be an amputation and he'd be good.  However due to his extreme injuries from the car accident he was not a candidate.  His best friend and Dr, Cherie White prescribed a pain management therapy and he continued on as normal...well as normal gets for a dog rebuilt after being hit on the 401!!  We had a great 3 weeks of eating and drinking all the food!!  (he may have shared a Corona as well...)  But sadly, Rupert was put to rest this morning.  I am absolutely devastated and working on recovering but as you know all too well, it's not easy.  I will forever be grateful to you guys for all your support over the years with our fundraising.  We've saved many dogs and gave Rupert a lasting legacy.    He was given an extra 10yrs nobody thought he had and lived large!!!  Rest assured, I will continue to work with the Humane Society as best I can.  I can never say enough good things about the work they do!!  

Thanks guys...   I'm going to wipe the tears from my eyes and grab a stiff drink!  To those with pets, hug them tight!!!  

Ahh, so sorry to hear this, Sean. :sad:

My condolences, Bud. You gave Rupert a good life. Remember that.

Take care. 

Irv

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, odot1 said:

It’s just hard as fuck, man.  There really are no words to heal.  Just time.  God, I hate losing my pups.  It’s just heart breaking.

Best of luck in the healing process.  

• Like 1

I have been through a few but I’m sure this one was extremely tough for you.....no words. However, too your credit, you were Ruperts savour, he knew that.....dogs are only here for a short time.......and you were there when needed....enough said. Big Cheers to Rupert and you!

• Like 2

Sorry to hear, condolences to you and your wife. You did one hell of an awesome thing with him!

Dogs have a very special spot in our hearts, I am not sure what it is, but damn isn't it one of the toughest things when you loose your companion.

Better have a few of those drinks though.

• Like 1

Breaks my heart to hear the news Sean, my condolences bud.

As said, you gave him a great run of 10-years and you both did great things together.

I know what you're going through, we had to "rebuild" one of ours and he was the toughest to say goodbye too.

Godspeed Rupert!

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 5:41 PM, irv said:

Ahh, so sorry to hear this, Sean. :sad:

My condolences, Bud. You gave Rupert a good life. Remember that.

Take care. 

Irv

On 12/12/2019 at 6:28 PM, Zambroski said:

It’s just hard as fuck, man.  There really are no words to heal.  Just time.  God, I hate losing my pups.  It’s just heart breaking.

Best of luck in the healing process.  

On 12/12/2019 at 8:08 PM, Poncho said:

I have been through a few but I’m sure this one was extremely tough for you.....no words. However, too your credit, you were Ruperts savour, he knew that.....dogs are only here for a short time.......and you were there when needed....enough said. Big Cheers to Rupert and you!

On 12/12/2019 at 8:20 PM, Reevester said:

Damn sean I'm sorry to hear this. You gave him an amazing life and a second chance and he gave you companionship you'll never forget, remember that. 

On 12/12/2019 at 9:00 PM, Stoney said:

Sorry to hear, condolences to you and your wife. You did one hell of an awesome thing with him!

Dogs have a very special spot in our hearts, I am not sure what it is, but damn isn't it one of the toughest things when you loose your companion.

Better have a few of those drinks though.

On 12/12/2019 at 10:17 PM, psledhead said:

Breaks my heart to hear the news Sean, my condolences bud.

As said, you gave him a great run of 10-years and you both did great things together.

I know what you're going through, we had to "rebuild" one of ours and he was the toughest to say goodbye too.

Godspeed Rupert!

On 12/13/2019 at 9:02 AM, Tinker said:

Shitty day for sure but me thinks that dog was always glad to see you and you provided the best you could.

On 12/13/2019 at 9:25 AM, ArcticCrusher said:

Really sorry to hear this Sean.   You two made a great team.

Sadest day.

On 12/13/2019 at 10:29 AM, 04nightfire said:

Sorry to hear that Sean.  RIP Rupert

On 12/13/2019 at 9:31 PM, Blackstar said:

Ah fuck, so sorry to hear Sean. You two were a great pair. RIP

You guys are awesome!!  Thanks for the comments...  Nothing quite like a man and his dog, eh?!?   Today I went to the KIngston Humane Society where they had me pick a kennel they are naming in his honour and making him a "guardian angel".  Apparently this little dog was much bigger than I ever thought!!  I will continue my efforts with the Humane society and the 2020 walk will be in his memory.  Thanks again guys...  you helped make it just a little easier!!!

Sean

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, odot1 said:

You guys are awesome!!  Thanks for the comments...  Nothing quite like a man and his dog, eh?!?   Today I went to the KIngston Humane Society where they had me pick a kennel they are naming in his honour and making him a "guardian angel".  Apparently this little dog was much bigger than I ever thought!!  I will continue my efforts with the Humane society and the 2020 walk will be in his memory.  Thanks again guys...  you helped make it just a little easier!!!

Sean

:bc:

Yes he was.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Sean

:friends:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't come here that often so I'm late to the wake. So sorry for your loss. Rubert must have looked at you when you had your boo-boos and wondered why my master is just a spaz.You know when they turn there head back and forth and  look at you, ok can I still get my food.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Really sorry for your loss odot, hard thing to go through.

https://kingstonhumanesociety.ca/goodbye-to-one-of-the-biggest-paws/

Goodbye to one of the Biggest Paws

09-01-2020 | Author: Kingston Humane Society

Hot Off the Collar | Volume 6

The story of Sean and Rupert, like so many of the heart-tugging, smile-inducing stories we see here at the Kingston Humane Society, was born out of dire circumstances.

On Christmas morning, in 2009, Officer Sean McCaffrey of the OPP was working 401 duty. Early that day, as the rest of us were opening stockings and settling in with our families, Sean spotted a black lab that had been hit by a car. He parked his cruiser, grabbed a few dog treats and cautiously walked towards the injured pooch. As he approached, he could see the dog lying in a pool of icy water. He needed to act quickly. Sean held out a few treats. The lab didn’t whine or growl. He actually wagged his tail and gobbled down the snack. Sean removed his duty coat, wrapped it around the dog and lifted it up. He could feel bones that were out of place or broken as he navigated the frozen ground back to the car. He transported the dog to the Kingston Regional Animal Hospital. The on-call vet wasn’t sure if he would survive. They stabilized him but he would require more substantial surgery and a long recovery period. With help from Dr. Cherie White and with support from the Kingston Humane Society (KHS), the beautiful black lab, dubbed “Rupert” would pull through. It was a long road of rehabilitation, but in August of 2010, Officer Sean McCaffrey officially adopted Rupert. Later that fall, Sean decided he wanted to give back to the Kingston Humane Society so he and Rupert walked in our annual “Big Paws” fundraising event. To no one’s surprise, they raised more money in pledges than anybody else. That trend continued…FOR 10 YEARS. Each year, Sean would rally his friends, family and colleagues. They would raise a bunch of money and walk alongside all of the other dogs. This year at Big Paws we celebrated Sean and Rupert’s 10th anniversary of walking, raising in excess of $10,000. As a result, they became celebrities with appearances on TV and radio and their community of fans and supporters grew rapidly.

Sadly, last November, Rupert was diagnosed with cancer in his left, rear leg. Normally doctors would amputate the leg and eliminate any chance of the cancer spreading but in Rupert’s case, the comprehensive nature of his injuries and repairs made that impossible. Sean then made a decision to proceed with palliative care:

“His best friend and Doctor, Cherie White prescribed a pain management therapy and he continued on as normal…well as normal as it gets for a dog rebuilt after being hit on the 401!! We had a great 3 weeks of eating and drinking all the food (he may have shared a Corona as well…) but sadly, Rupert was put to rest this morning…I will forever be grateful to KHS for their gift to me. He was given an extra 10 yrs nobody thought he had and lived large!!! I like to think he helped save many dogs along the way…” — Officer Sean McCaffrey

As you can imagine, the entire staff of the KHS was devastated to hear the news. Sean and Rupert helped hundreds of dogs during their journey together and set a standard of care and compassion not easily surpassed. We are proud to have played a role in Rupert’s life and prouder still of the work the two of them did to promote animal welfare in our community.

In recognition of the significant amount of donations Sean and Rupert raised over ten years at Big Paws, we’re re-naming the award for most Big Paws pledges in Rupert’s honour. From this point forward, The Rupert Award will be given to the individual who raises the most in pledges for the annual KHS Big Paws walk.

We’ll miss you Rupert but your legacy of strength, tenacity and courage will last for a very long time. Rest easy big fella.

– Gord Hunter, Executive Director

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, steve6 said:

Really sorry for your loss odot, hard thing to go through.

https://kingstonhumanesociety.ca/goodbye-to-one-of-the-biggest-paws/

Thank you very much...  appreciate that and all that you guys have done over the years for his fund raising efforts.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, odot1 said:

Thank you very much...  appreciate that and all that you guys have done over the years for his fund raising efforts.  

Keep it going Sean.  You started something well worth the cause.

At some point you might want to look at helping another.

Hudson and Rex is likely the only show I watch on  TV these days. 

• Like 1