Almost as ugly as the new Skidoo’s

Poncho

My buddy cleaned out his garage last week and gave this 1972 Evinrude SS Bobcat 399.  I don’t know whether to thank him or curse him.  It appears everything is there and in the big picture in pretty good shape.  Anyway another toy to play with.  According to Evinrude the 399 is 30 HP delivering about 7hp to the track. Should be a real crusher.  Anyone have any tech data on the motor?

439EE225-CECF-446A-9214-77315DF0C267.jpeg

EBF9456B-6685-49C8-A7CB-36BFE32D0C42.jpeg

D0B2A80F-7111-4B04-97C2-EDE8D12C2504.jpeg

Edited by Poncho
  • Like 1

I’m not sure I will spend anything on this one, I will likely leave it as is and see if she fires off.  After a good carb cleaning and fuel flush that is.  The motor rolls over and has compression.....always a good beginning point

Edited by Poncho
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Poncho said:

My buddy cleaned out his garage last week and gave this 1973 Evinrude SS Bobcat 399.  I don’t know whether to thank him or curse him.  It appears everything is there and in the big picture in pretty good shape.  Anyway another toy to play with.  According to Evinrude the 399 is 30 HP delivering about 7hp to the track. Should be a real crusher.  Anyone have any tech data on the motor?

439EE225-CECF-446A-9214-77315DF0C267.jpeg

EBF9456B-6685-49C8-A7CB-36BFE32D0C42.jpeg

D0B2A80F-7111-4B04-97C2-EDE8D12C2504.jpeg

That 7 hp might be a little high...... Rugged well built sleds back in the day. Seen a few at Peterborough show in rough shape. And guys buying them. 

13 minutes ago, bladefever said:

Opposed twin with single carb?

Yes. 399 opposed twin, single carb......it is actually a 72 model, my mistake.  I think the engine has its roots with Curtis Wright.  It also has  CDI ignition!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 04nightfire said:

he has two identical or you are selling it already?

This one is not for sale.   ....Post a link please. I doubt there are many out there.  I would be amazed to see not one, but two for sale, unbelievable 

Edited by Poncho

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Got it.......mystery continues. Thanks. That is the one in the picture. He might in fact have two then. 

On 11/28/2019 at 11:41 PM, ManOnManOral said:

Are you getting senile?

Apparently not......picked it up this morning and dropped it off at the hangar.  I squirted some fresh fuel down the carb and it fired right up.    Just another toy, interesting set up

256037A4-A3D8-42EA-91FC-6FE4A7178382.jpeg

7B968552-2229-4068-9204-0B9723344828.jpeg

FB8E4F9E-CCB7-4945-BEC0-176C14693155.jpeg

Edited by Poncho
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, ManOnManOral said:

Cool. Who put the ad up.

Long story...the owners son....the machine was promised to me about one year ago.  Kid thought he would do him a favour, there was a little Italian moped thing too, and sell them.  Both now in my hands.  Between the Penguin, Bobcat and the wop mobile I’ve got plenty of junk...

• Like 1

I spent the better part of the day blowing out mouse nests and mouse shit.  Needs little things like a correct throttle cable, some bogie work and a windshield.  Not sure what I will do with it besides run around the airport during a snow day.

Edited by Poncho

3 hours ago, Poncho said:

I spent the better part of the day blowing out mouse nests and mouse shit.  Needs little things like a correct throttle cable, some bogie work and a windshield.  Not sure what I will do with it besides run around the airport during a snow day.

Sounds all great but why?