Justin Trudeau is Doing a Great Job

revrnd

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/immigration-system-increase-mccallum-1.3812749

A high-powered group of external advisers is calling for a dramatic increase in Canada's immigration levels, but Immigration Minister John McCallum says that might be too ambitious.

McCallum said Wednesday he's read the report by the Advisory Council on Economic Growth that calls for a 50-per-cent increase in targets to 450,000 people a year.

The measure would target skilled, entrepreneurial newcomers in an attempt to stimulate economic growth.

The 14-member panel, chaired by Dominic Barton of the firm McKinsey and Co., is to deliver a set of recommendations to Finance Minister Bill Morneau on Thursday.

McCallum said meeting the target suggested by Barton's group would be costly and might not find broad national support.

"The figure he gives is a huge figure," McCallum said. "But this is not a universal view across the country."

Discussions are continuing and the government will announce immigration targets for 2017 next month, McCallum added.

McCallum's cabinet colleague, Economic Development Minister Navdeep Bains, told The Canadian Press on Wednesday that he's "worked very closely" with Barton's panel, and favours increased immigration levels. But he stopped short of endorsing the target in Barton's report.

"Clearly he's demonstrating an opportunity for Canada," Bains said. "We value our diversity, we value our multicultural society and we recognize immigration is an opportunity to create jobs."

The need for skilled labour

Bains said the government would need to sell the idea of higher immigration levels to the public.

"We, as a government, need to focus on communicating the benefits of growing the economy and part of that growth is investing in people and part of that equation is immigration."

Bains said bringing in more skilled workers is part of the government's broader agenda that includes investing in research and development, creating jobs and helping companies grow.

A survey released by Canadian Manufactures and Exporters said the most pressing challenge facing its member companies is "attracting or retaining skilled labour."

The response came from a survey and roundtable discussions with 1,300 member companies.

Matthew Wilson, the organization's senior vice president, said manufacturers have traditionally looked beyond Canada's border to find skilled workers.

"If we can expand that, that's good," he said in an interview.

Slower growth ahead

But the government needs to do more to make sure the immigrants they allow into Canada actually have skills that are needed, Wilson added.

"Just bringing in more immigrants isn't going to solve the skills-gap problem if they don't have the skills Canadian companies need."

The continuing need to address the country's sluggish economy was underscored Wednesday as the Bank of Canada downgraded its growth prediction.

The bank's latest outlook projected a real GDP expansion of 1.1 per cent this year, down from its earlier 1.3 per cent forecast.

Governor Stephen Poloz listed immigration as "one of the ingredients" for helping to reverse declining growth.

I can't believe McCallum had those thoughts. He must be drying out. Has anyone ever explained how "diversity" has helped Canada? I don't ever remember it being mentioned during Oshawa's Fiesta Week during its heydey.

Some talk on the CBC this morning & the reporter said most immigrants settle in the big cities, which doesn't help declining populations in rural & small town Canada. The reason those populations are declining is that there are no jobs there. Why would it make sense to plunk immigrants down in areas of unemployment? In Apsley, Asians already own the motel/restaurant and the "general store". I can't think of any other businesses they'd be interested in.  

Nothing wrong with bringing high tech skills into Canada.  The problem then becomes we really have no value for most of the education these immigrants are coming  here with.  I have worked with many of these types and they cause more harm than productivity.

Many immigrants in the USA are forced to repeat programs at recognized universities or they end up driving taxi's or UBER's.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Nothing wrong with bringing high tech skills into Canada.  The problem then becomes we really have no value for most of the education these immigrants are coming  here with.  I have worked with many of these types and they cause more harm than productivity.

Many immigrants in the USA are forced to repeat programs at recognized universities or they end up driving taxi's or UBER's.

I used to think that a server is a server and the O/S is the O/S and that it would be the same globally. That computer technology was a global constant. The hardware and software available is a constant but the hardware and software in use isn't. I interviewed a few recent immigrants from varying parts of Asia. I hired one who turned out to be excellent. He had the right Microsoft certifications that I was looking for. The Microsoft certifications are a constant.

Most of the others that I interviewed didn't have experience on current hardware or software. It seems that the areas they immigrated from were not very financially solid and that they used hardware and software until it no longer worked. They all had CRT monitors in their offices, were running old versions of PC and server software as well as hardware.

When asked about things like VMWARE they had no idea. They would have needed a bunch of training to be of use in our environment. We need more like the guy I hired and less of the ones that I turned down. It seems however that 1 out of 10 were worth considering for the job which is not a good ratio.

Edited by 02sled

CP24 was saying the Liberals plan to remove a rule that Harper had put in place. The old regular rule stated that a new immigrant would have to stay w/ their sponsoring spouse for 2 years. According to CP24, this rule will be removed.

The chap that owns the general store has a racket going on where he has a new couple of Asian descent working for him for 6 months. They disappear and another couple arrives to repeat the cycle.

Then you have the vet' in the Niagara Region who after complaints about mistreating his patients requires 4 months of "retraining" to bring him up to speed so to speak w/ Ontario's standards.

10 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

There was a story going around about civil engineers from Iraq and areas.  The government would have 4 or 5 times the engineers on site as required in North America.  Most could list many projects on their resume where they had "worked" but most of the days did nothing.   They had no experience or skills but had great looking resumes.

If there is such a skilled trades shortage, has anyone thought of promoting apprenticeship programs? What about the laid off trades people from the 'patch? I can't see why a construction worker in Alberta couldn't be hired to work elsewhere.

Lots of yammering that Canada's high tech industry is suffering because of manpower shortages.  Maybe they could train from within?

Edited by revrnd

CTV is reporting that PM Justin Trudeau tweeted his condolences to the victims of the knife attack in Abbotsford BC. WHO THE FUCK TWEETS CONDOLENCES? You're the prime minister you fucking asshole, not a 17 year old girl for fuck sales! If you're too lazy to phone the familes, write a letter have a staffer prepare it & draw an X on it in crayon.

He got flak from the family of 1 of the Canadians killed in Mali this year over the way he apologized. You have to wonder if the dolt can even tie his own shoes.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Is Chrystia Freeland going to be involved in the talks if The Donald tears up NAFTA? The Walloons had her in tears, I can't see her faring well w/ the Americans.

She wouldn't last more than 5 minutes with the big boys... she'd have a nervous breakdown with them. Perhaps Truedope should send Monsef....maybe she can get the window cleaning contract for the White House.

• Like 1

God we are in trouble with people like this idiot leading our country. He relates that 1 out of 5 Muslims in a moderate Muslim country support honour killings and she can't understand that is not right. We should accept that in Canada is the message she is saying.

Edited by 02sled

21 minutes ago, 02sled said:

God we are in trouble with people like this idiot leading our country. He relates that 1 out of 5 Muslims in a moderate Muslim country support honour killings and she can't understand that is not right. We should accept that in Canada is the message she is saying.

You think she's an idiot? Read this from Wiki':

Freeland attended the United World College of the Adriatic.[15] She received her Bachelor of Arts degree in Russian history and literature from Harvard University and a Master of Studies degree in Slavonic Studies from St Antony's College, Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar in 1993.

Mind you she probably typifies the smug "elites" that Kelly Leitch rails about. The elites that figured Hillary had the US election in the bag & are completely shocked that Trump won. Just another person completely out of touch w/ the average person on the street. 

Again from Wiki':

Her father, Donald Freeland, was a farmer and lawyer and a member of the Liberal Party of Canada,[9] and her mother, Halyna (Chomiak) Freeland (1946–2007), was also a lawyer who once ran for election in Edmonton-Strathcona, representing the New Democratic Party

21 hours ago, revrnd said:

You think she's an idiot? Read this from Wiki':

Mind you she probably typifies the smug "elites" that Kelly Leitch rails about. The elites that figured Hillary had the US election in the bag & are completely shocked that Trump won. Just another person completely out of touch w/ the average person on the street. 

Again from Wiki':

Wow, a degree in Russian history.  Perhaps she can be some use to Donald as he tries to get more chummy with Putin.

Nah, her shrieking voice shatters glass.

9 minutes ago, revrnd said:

PM Snowflake is in Toronto today to try to convince institutional invest to put their money into proposed infrastructure projects. I wonder if a Q & A will follow? 

There is a move towards infrastructure investment.