House build

04nightfire

7 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

How involved are you in the build?

I'm being the general. Have all my trades lined up and ready to go. I'll be doing some of the finishing stuff as well as helping with electrical, plumbing and doing my septic. 

17 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

I'm being the general. Have all my trades lined up and ready to go. I'll be doing some of the finishing stuff as well as helping with electrical, plumbing and doing my septic. 

That's great, I would like to do the same in a few years, however as it stands right now I am far to involved in projects to make that a possibility.  

I am hoping that changes.

4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

That's great, I would like to do the same in a few years, however as it stands right now I am far to involved in projects to make that a possibility.  

I am hoping that changes.

It is definitely a bIt of a challenge between work and getting our house packed up. Just keep telling myself it is worth it in the end. 

26 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

Sounds like exciting BUSY times, than!

Good for you on doing all that and having the time to commit to a project like this, in a relatively short time frame....the next 3.5 months are going to fly by, looking forward to seeing the end product.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

It is definitely a bIt of a challenge between work and getting our house packed up. Just keep telling myself it is worth it in the end. 

Well I would really like to be the general but with the workload and my direct involvement in projects that might not be possible.  I still plan to build in three years, but it might be a turnkey package.  There is an age old saying, no sense in stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime.

7 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Sounds like exciting BUSY times, than!

Good for you on doing all that and having the time to commit to a project like this, in a relatively short time frame....the next 3.5 months are going to fly by, looking forward to seeing the end product.

I think that is what's driving me right now. Want to see the finished product. 

6 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Well I would really like to be the general but with the workload and my direct involvement in projects that might not be possible.  I still plan to build in three years, but it might be a turnkey package.  There is an age old saying, no sense in stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime.

I may regret being the general come 3 months from now. Lol. Got lots of things coming up in the next little while 

1 hour ago, 04nightfire said:

Thanks.  She's a double edged sword right now.  Want cold and snow for riding the new sled but don't want it for building reasons.

There are two solid months to get the structure up and closed in before Winter usually arrives, if all the trades are lined up, ready to go & no major hick ups, you will be riding from the new place in Feb!  

But it would also be nice to see Winter arrive mid Dec....for sledders sake!!!

8 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

Keep this thread going 04, I'm sure we'd all like to see your progress.  From the beginning to the end.  Do you have all city services there? 

No we don't.  I have to put in a well, septic and run off of propane.  Will suck coming from a place that we had natural gas but the trade off to having no real neighbors and peace and quiet will be nice.  Footing forms came off last night and the house is being layed out.  Foundation walls should be up and poured by Friday.

Edited by 04nightfire

19 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

No we don't.  I have to put in a well, septic and run off of propane.  Will suck coming from a place that we had natural gas but the trade off to having no real neighbors and peace and quiet will be nice.  Footing forms came off last night and the house is being layed out.  Foundation walls should be up and poured by Friday.

How about wood stove? The layout should make it fairly easy to heat.

What are the internet options for the area?

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

How about wood stove? The layout should make it fairly easy to heat.

What are the internet options for the area?

internet will be sympatico, no rogers at the moment.  I thought about an outdoor woodstove but went with propane furnace.  I grew up in a house with a wood furnace and I think that ruined me for wood burning.  Every winter was cutting trees down then in the spring it was splitting and piling, then move the pile to under the roof and then put it in our basement.  After 15 years of that I didn't want to see another piece of wood.  LOL

8 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

internet will be sympatico, no rogers at the moment.  I thought about an outdoor woodstove but went with propane furnace.  I grew up in a house with a wood furnace and I think that ruined me for wood burning.  Every winter was cutting trees down then in the spring it was splitting and piling, then move the pile to under the roof and then put it in our basement.  After 15 years of that I didn't want to see another piece of wood.  LOL

You should do both.  A wood burning fireplace is quite nice.

I get my wood delivered.  A full bush cord will last me a few seasons right now, so piling it is all I want to do.:lol:

11 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

You should do both.  A wood burning fireplace is quite nice.

I get my wood delivered.  A full bush cord will last me a few seasons right now, so piling it is all I want to do.:lol:

My wife wanted a wood burning fire place when we re-finished the basement at home. She said she loves the smell. We put in a zero clearance Heatilator. It hasn't been used in quite a few years now. It pumps out so much heat that I'd be sitting in the opposite corner of the room with sweat on my forehead while she sits 6' away saying isn't this nice. Then when I'm nice and hot she sends me outside to get more wood. The floor plan for a new house for retirement includes.... you guessed it.... a wood burning fire place.

Like you Arctic I will have the wood delivered. I'm done with the days of the past. We have 3 acres on an island in Port Severn with lots of trees. Each summer I would be cutting down selected trees, loading the cut up pieces into the 14' aluminum, running it back to our mainland lot, loading into the pickup, unloading in Toronto, splitting and piling then repeat a few times.

I can see where an open concept house with a decent amount of space to warm would benefit from a wood fireplace though. I suspect we will be using a fireplace much more often then. Our primary heating will be in floor radiant heat with closed loop recirculating water glycol mix.