Check your account email address ×

Meme thread

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

SMH  Thats a manufactured home not a modular  i've only financed hundreds of them over the years.  manufactured is built on a frame with axles and a tongue attached for transport and is built to FHA specs and had a HUD tag on it.  modular is a IBC/CABO spec'd stick build house that is delivered in sections and craned onto a permanent foundation.  I've been inside 600k modular homes that no one who didn't know would never figure out.    Modular is financed/appraised as a stick built manfuactured is a "mobile home".  

Is this a modular or manufactured home?

Screenshot_20181007-132905.png

• Replies 39.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SSFB

• motonoggin

• Anler

• awful knawful

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

Seems there may be more than one definition of a Modular Home. 

theres not but there are plenty who don't understand the difference we deal with it all the time even with realtors who need to be clear with us exactly what it is.  Steel frame,  HUD tags= mobile home  stick built CABO coded = modular

there was some overlap of techniques in the 80's but the last 25 years there has been clear seperation. 

3 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

Is this a modular or manufactured home?

Screenshot_20181007-132905.png

could be either,  looks is not the differentiation construction technique is.  in the ranches the confusion is easy as they can look similar.  

this is a modular

o.jpg

Just now, Angry ginger said:

could be either,  looks is not the differentiation construction technique is.  in the ranches the confusion is easy as they can look similar.  

this is a modular

o.jpg

It's obvious to me that it's not a traditional stick built house, but what we call a modular. 

I guess you don't know as much as you thought, hey? 

1 minute ago, motonoggin said:

Exactly. Still built like shit but doesn't have a tongue or wheels and is set on a permanent foundation. 

nope that house could be either.  factory built stick  built ranch dropped on a trailer is a better construction technique than one build on site.  has to be as it's framed to be moved.  

Just now, motonoggin said:

Exactly. Still built like shit but doesn't have a tongue or wheels and is set on a permanent foundation. 

My inlaws just bought a brand new one in Southern Illinois. 1800 sqft. 3br 2.5 bath. $89,000 delivered 

complete pile of total shit. Its worse than a camp trailer for the construction quality. 

Its built on a steel frame and sits on a poured block walled footing on their property. 

nope that house could be either.  factory built stick  built ranch dropped on a trailer is a better construction technique than one build on site.  has to be as it's framed to be moved.  

That's fucking hilarious :lmao:

i can tell its a modular by the shit windows, the lack of roof overhang, the vents in the foundation, and the white j-block for the spigot.

It's obvious to me that it's not a traditional stick built house, but what we call a modular. 

I guess you don't know as much as you thought, hey? 

i know way more than you,  stick to the pot.  give me the property address you pulled it from.   you might incorrectly call it a modular but modular=  factory stick built attached to a foundation where manufacutured/mobile=  steel frame trailer with HUD tags where the frame should be permanently affixed by anchors to an acceptable foundation whether thats a slap with piers,  crawlspace or basement foundation or sitting on blocks with mobile home anchors.  

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

My inlaws just bought a brand new one in Southern Illinois. 1800 sqft. 3br 2.5 bath. $89,000 delivered 

complete pile of total shit. Its worse than a camp trailer for the construction quality. 

Its built on a steel frame and sits on a poured block walled footing on their property. 

Did they get the drywall finished or is it the super classy wallpapered sheetrock panels trimmed out with plastic/cardboard trim?

1 minute ago, motonoggin said:

That's fucking hilarious :lmao:

i can tell its a modular by the shit windows, the lack of roof overhang, the vents in the foundation, and the white j-block for the spigot.

And they forgot to put a door to the upper deck. 

5 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

then thats a HUD manufactured home not a modular.  if you pull the siding back it has one of these on it 

Example-of-a-HUD-Construction-Code-Label

Edited by Angry ginger

Did they get the drywall finished or is it the super classy wallpapered sheetrock panels trimmed out with plastic/cardboard trim?

Drywall is finished. I mean it looks decent inside and out but the quality of the cabnetry and vinyl and fixtures is total trailer house trash. 

2 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i know way more than you,  stick to the pot.  give me the property address you pulled it from.   you might incorrectly call it a modular but modular=  factory stick built attached to a foundation where manufacutured/mobile=  steel frame trailer with HUD tags where the frame should be permanently affixed by anchors to an acceptable foundation whether thats a slap with piers,  crawlspace or basement foundation or sitting on blocks with mobile home anchors.  

It's listed as a 'HUD sectional'.

Around here, that's called a modular.

38 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

My bago is an ‘08.  Adventurer. 38J. 

Its got a few little issues but nothing Im planning to fix. 

One of the double pane windows has lost its seal. During certain weather conditions it gets a tiny bit of fog between the glass in the upper corner. Maybe 5 square inches of fog total. You really cant even see it. 90% of the time there is no fog at all. 

Its an 8.1 Vortec and Allison 6 speed. 

Thats not that old....some parks i read wont let you in if youre 10+ yrs or older without an inspection....id be saying seeya 

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

then thats a HUD manufactured home not a modular.  if you pull the siding back it has one of these on it 

Example-of-a-HUD-Construction-Code-Label

Yea probably. I dont know. The place that makes them calls them modular. Or at least thats what the inlaws call it. Hahah. 

HUD section is manufactured.  

Don't be talking about something that you don't know anything about :lol:

Barry has mentioned more than once that the higher quality manufactured homes are as good as anything he could build on site.

4 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Drywall is finished. I mean it looks decent inside and out but the quality of the cabnetry and vinyl and fixtures is total trailer house trash. 

Shit that's pretty good. A lot of them used to come with single layer plastic domed sky lights that would sweat like a mofo in the winter and ruin the roof deck, insulation, and ceiling. :lol:

i don't know how that was ever allowed, especially in MI...

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

Yea probably. I dont know. The place that makes them calls them modular. Or at least thats what the inlaws call it. Hahah. 

this is a modular split and no one would ever knoiw the difference between site or factory built,  if you tour the factory it's amazing what they can build 

Mansfield.jpg

this is a modular split and no one would ever knoiw the difference between site or factory built,  if you tour the factory it's amazing what they can build 

Mansfield.jpg

We call those BOCA modulars, and yes the quality is much better than a regular modular. 

1 minute ago, ckf said:

Don't be talking about something that you don't know anything about :lol:

Barry has mentioned more than once that the higher quality manufactured MODULAR homes are as good as anything he could build on site.

corrected

Heres a great explanation of the differences-  super important we know from a financing situation what it is.  For example i just had to refuse to issue a prequal letter as the borrower found a manufactured and doesn't qualify for the same program as a stick built or modular constructed homes

The difference between Mobile homes vs. Manufactured homes vs. Modular homes

Mobile homes - The term Mobile Home is often used interchangeably with the term Manufactured Home but in fact they mean quite different things. "Mobile Home" refers to homes built PRIOR to 1976 when the HUD code governing building standards for factory-built homes was instituted, greatly improving quality standards.

Manufactured homes - Homes built AFTER 1976 should, technically, no longer be referred to as Mobile Homes but instead are Manufactured Homes and are built to a higher standard of quality than yesterday's "Mobile Homes".

Manufactured Homes are built entirely in a factory under the federal building code administered by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). These homes are constructed to meet the Federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standard Act of June 15, 1976. The federal standards regulate manufactured housing design and construction, strength and durability, transportability, fire resistance, energy efficiency and quality. The HUD Code also sets performance standards for the heating, plumbing, air conditioning, thermal and electrical systems. HUD is the only federally-regulated national building code. Each home or segment of a home is labeled with a red tag that is the manufacturer's guarantee the home was built to conform to the HUD code. On-site additions, such as garages, decks and porches, often add to the attractiveness of manufactured homes and must be built to local, state or regional building codes.

Manufactured homes generally come in single or two-section units and their dimensions range from 8 feet or more wide and 40 feet or more long. Manufactured homes can be placed on a basement and include multiwides and expandable manufactured homes. Excluded are travel trailers, motor homes, and modular housing. 

Modular homes - A modular home is manufactured in a production facility and are built in two or more sections in a controlled factory setting that are then transported and assembled on location. The assemble process typically uses a traditional concrete foundation (permanent). Unlike a mobile home, a modular home cannot be moved once built. These homes are treated just like a traditional home you'd buy in a neighborhood. They offer outstanding features, a huge assortment of pre-designed homes, and their price per square foot are sometimes lower than the traditional stick built home.

Modular homes are homes assembled at the building site. Modular homes are built to either local or state building codes as opposed to manufactured homes (sometimes still erroneously referred to as mobile homes) which are also built in a factory but are governed by a federal building code.

Modular homes can be completely customized to meet the home-buyers needs and tastes.

11 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Im sure you could upgrade all that though.