Meme thread

Differences between Modular, Manufactured/Mobile and RTM homes

Jul 24, 2018 | Modular, RTM and Tiny Home Builder |

Please follow and like us:
icon_Follow_en_US.png
Save

What are the differences between RTM, Modular and Mobile homes??

It amazes me that there is still such confusion between these items.  Even more shocking is where people think they are no Differences between Modular, Manufactured/Mobile, and RTM homes.  So let’s go through it one at a time.

A Manufactured/Mobile Home is what you see in the mobile home parks of the world.  Long trailers sitting on metal frames with wheels mounted below either single or double wide.  They evolved from the travel and vacation trailers and have more akin to them then a modular or RTM home.  They are usually set on wood blocking if semi-permanent is skirted in to hide the “trailer” parts of the construction.  These trailers or Mobile homes are built to the CSA z240 MH building code standard. Some jurisdictions, such as Alberta, require CSA a277 factory certification regardless. (Check the electrical panel door for a compliance sticker.) BC and Saskatchewan have different requirements.  Many of these trailers are built in the US and shipped here, check your labels!  This isn’t considered real estate.

mobile home park
Example of a double wide trailer

An RTM HOME is another way to say a ready to move home.  It is a home, not a trailer.  It is a home that is almost identical to a site built or a traditional home built with Three exceptions.  First, it is limited in size and hight (restrictions based on the requirement to move it down the road to it’s foundations) and it is built stronger than a standard home.  It has to be built stronger as it does require the strength to be picked up via Crane and moved down the road to it’s property. RTM homes can be completely custom designed too.

So, given the size requirements, we can custom design and build your dream home, just like a local builder would, the difference is that it is built in a CSA approved factory, by reliable trades, with the lack of waste, and higher quality than indoor factory builds provide.  That’s right your entire home is built indoors.

Another HUGE benefit is that your basement, foundation, or Screw Piles and site preparation can all be done concurrently with the build of the home.  A traditional home builder will have to first develop the foundation long before they can build, they are hampered by weather conditions and delays, and local trade problems and shortages.  By building your new home concurrently we find a much faster move-in date/possession date by almost 50%!!

Because your home is being moved from our controlled building location to be set permanently on your foundation, or basement, it is built extra strong.  You even will have plywood behind the drywall, no more torn or broken drywall in your future! When we move your custom designed RTM Home it will be placed on a special flatbed semi specifically designed for house moving and delivered to your site. Craned into place, minimizing the site disturbance and waste associated with a custom home builder working in the old way of building.

Long Story Short: An RTM constructed home is a normal home, cottage/cabin, or tiny house, that is built in one piece then moved onto permanent foundation or basement.  It is real estate and appraises identically to what a home built by a local builder in BC, Sask, or AB would be.

https://www.mountainviewrtm.com/2018/07/differences-between-modular-manufactured-mobile-and-rtm-homes/

• Replies 39.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SSFB

• motonoggin

• Anler

• awful knawful

3 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Waaaat?

Nothing. Just interesting they way its done. 

The only thing similar here is huge custom log homes. The shell is often constructed off site where they notch and machine the logs like a linken log house. Then its disassembled and moved to the building site where its reassembled on the basement or slab. 

2 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Nothing. Just interesting they way its done. 

The only thing similar here is huge custom log homes. The shell is often constructed off site where they notch and machine the logs like a linken log house. Then its disassembled and moved to the building site where its reassembled on the basement or slab. 

Read the link i posted....they say rtms are actually built better.

5 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Jul 24, 2018 | Modular, RTM and Tiny Home Builder |

Please follow and like us:
icon_Follow_en_US.png
Save

What are the differences between RTM, Modular and Mobile homes??

It amazes me that there is still such confusion between these items.  Even more shocking is where people think they are no Differences between Modular, Manufactured/Mobile, and RTM homes.  So let’s go through it one at a time.

A Manufactured/Mobile Home is what you see in the mobile home parks of the world.  Long trailers sitting on metal frames with wheels mounted below either single or double wide.  They evolved from the travel and vacation trailers and have more akin to them then a modular or RTM home.  They are usually set on wood blocking if semi-permanent is skirted in to hide the “trailer” parts of the construction.  These trailers or Mobile homes are built to the CSA z240 MH building code standard. Some jurisdictions, such as Alberta, require CSA a277 factory certification regardless. (Check the electrical panel door for a compliance sticker.) BC and Saskatchewan have different requirements.  Many of these trailers are built in the US and shipped here, check your labels!  This isn’t considered real estate.

mobile home park
Example of a double wide trailer

An RTM HOME is another way to say a ready to move home.  It is a home, not a trailer.  It is a home that is almost identical to a site built or a traditional home built with Three exceptions.  First, it is limited in size and hight (restrictions based on the requirement to move it down the road to it’s foundations) and it is built stronger than a standard home.  It has to be built stronger as it does require the strength to be picked up via Crane and moved down the road to it’s property. RTM homes can be completely custom designed too.

So, given the size requirements, we can custom design and build your dream home, just like a local builder would, the difference is that it is built in a CSA approved factory, by reliable trades, with the lack of waste, and higher quality than indoor factory builds provide.  That’s right your entire home is built indoors.

Another HUGE benefit is that your basement, foundation, or Screw Piles and site preparation can all be done concurrently with the build of the home.  A traditional home builder will have to first develop the foundation long before they can build, they are hampered by weather conditions and delays, and local trade problems and shortages.  By building your new home concurrently we find a much faster move-in date/possession date by almost 50%!!

Because your home is being moved from our controlled building location to be set permanently on your foundation, or basement, it is built extra strong.  You even will have plywood behind the drywall, no more torn or broken drywall in your future! When we move your custom designed RTM Home it will be placed on a special flatbed semi specifically designed for house moving and delivered to your site. Craned into place, minimizing the site disturbance and waste associated with a custom home builder working in the old way of building.

Long Story Short: An RTM constructed home is a normal home, cottage/cabin, or tiny house, that is built in one piece then moved onto permanent foundation or basement.  It is real estate and appraises identically to what a home built by a local builder in BC, Sask, or AB would be.

https://www.mountainviewrtm.com/2018/07/differences-between-modular-manufactured-mobile-and-rtm-homes/

Interesting. I never heard of an RTM home before. 

8 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Theyre only for depressed areas...ya know welfare bums and such!!!

:lol:

We aren't talking about the same thing.

The house I was commenting on is clearly a modular home. I bet the drywall is 3/8" thick, has wallpaper on it, and is finished with carboard strips.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

We aren't talking about the same thing.

The house I was commenting on is clearly a modular home. I bet the drywall is 3/8" thick, has wallpaper on it, and is finished with carboard strips.

Looks like its brand new....i bet hes happy with it and probably has a bigger boat then you do down at the marina!!!!

:lol2:

5 minutes ago, DAVE said:

Looks like its brand new....i bet hes happy with it and probably has a bigger boat then you do down at the marina!!!!

:lol2:

This was one of your lamer attempts at gotcha.

Sorry if I offended you and your wheelchair ramped modular.

17 minutes ago, motonoggin said:

This was one of your lamer attempts at gotcha.

Sorry if I offended you and your wheelchair ramped modular.

I dont live in a modular....my little shack was built in 51.

Just now, motonoggin said:

It would explain why you're trying to defend the poor quality construction of modular homes...

Seems to me he was praising the virtues of RTM homes. Not necessarily modular homes. 

1 minute ago, motonoggin said:

It would explain why you're trying to defend the poor quality construction of modular homes...

I have a poor quality overpriced rv....

2 minutes ago, DAVE said:

I have a poor quality overpriced rv....

Hahaha. I think everyone does. If it’s of any decent quality its way overpriced. 

Our old Winnebago is pretty decent quality though. I definitely prefer it over a newer one.   

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

Hahaha. I think everyone does. If it’s of any decent quality its way overpriced. 

Our old Winnebago is pretty decent quality though. I definitely prefer it over a newer one.   

What yr is it again?

Just now, DAVE said:

What yr is it again?

My bago is an ‘08.  Adventurer. 38J. 

Its got a few little issues but nothing Im planning to fix. 

One of the double pane windows has lost its seal. During certain weather conditions it gets a tiny bit of fog between the glass in the upper corner. Maybe 5 square inches of fog total. You really cant even see it. 90% of the time there is no fog at all. 

Its an 8.1 Vortec and Allison 6 speed. 

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

Does a modular home typically have wheels?  What makes them different than a double wide?  

modular typically has a wood frame and is transported on a trailer.  it's a stick built house made in a factory and is financed and appraised as such vs a mobile home which can be a pain to finance

Just now, Angry ginger said:

modular typically has a wood frame and is transported on a trailer.  it's a stick built house made in a factory and is financed and appraised as such vs a mobile home which can be a pain to finance

Modular homes are built on a steel deck and aren't seen as 'stick built' by appraisers.

• Haha 1

Just now, motonoggin said:

Modular homes are built on a steel deck and aren't seen as 'stick built' by appraisers.

SMH  Thats a manufactured home not a modular  i've only financed hundreds of them over the years.  manufactured is built on a frame with axles and a tongue attached for transport and is built to FHA specs and had a HUD tag on it.  modular is a IBC/CABO spec'd stick build house that is delivered in sections and craned onto a permanent foundation.  I've been inside 600k modular homes that no one who didn't know would never figure out.    Modular is financed/appraised as a stick built manfuactured is a "mobile home".