Need advice on new snowblower

4 minutes ago, Anler said:

This model is awesome. I looked at alot if different brands when I bought it and outside of a commercial grade Cub cadet or something this one works really well. I've tackled some pretty deep and heavy snow with it too. Don't know where you live and what you would be tackling with it. I like this one alot. 

We get some good snow here ,usually lol. A few years back we had snow almost twice a week. Fuckin snowblower was tunneling most of the winter . I was extremely impressed.  Neighbors new yardworks machine couldn't cut it ,and I ended up doing his driveway a few times lol 

Just now, xcr700 said:

We get some good snow here ,usually lol. A few years back we had snow almost twice a week. Fuckin snowblower was tunneling most of the winter . I was extremely impressed.  Neighbors new yardworks machine couldn't cut it ,and I ended up doing his driveway a few times lol 

I do mine and the sidewalk for the whole block. Then I do a couple seniors on my block too. This machine makes short work of it so it's pretty easy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Anler said:

I do mine and the sidewalk for the whole block. Then I do a couple seniors on my block too. This machine makes short work of it so it's pretty easy. 

Yeah. They make an awesome machine, that's for sure...

Funny story aboot mine...used the recoil to start it for 5 years . Then bud was over one day ,asks why I never used the electric start feature.  .....never knew I had it :lol:fuckin me the retard 

6 minutes ago, xcr700 said:

Yeah. They make an awesome machine, that's for sure...

Funny story aboot mine...used the recoil to start it for 5 years . Then bud was over one day ,asks why I never used the electric start feature.  .....never knew I had it :lol:fuckin me the retard 

Yep. I used to use it alot but it's not that hard to pull over. 

8 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I found a used Troy built. It’s a “99 model. Back before MTD got them. It’s virtually like new. $300. It’s really amazing how much better things were built back then. 

I've had Craftsman, Ariens and now a top of the line Simplicity but none of them could beat my old Troy Bilt. I wish I had never sold it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sael said:

I've had Craftsman, Ariens and now a top of the line Simplicity but none of them could beat my old Troy Bilt. I wish I had never sold it.

I disassembled and replaced all the bearing and seals. The worm gear is in good shape. Scoped the motor and it looked perfect. Surprisingly parts are still available for it. There’s not one piece of plastic on the unit other than the control knobs. We’ve got another foot of snow on the way starting tomorrow night. She’ll get a work out. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, irv said:

I have used nothing but Toros for 30+ yrs and have never had a problem. My current one, a 4 stroke, which is likely a lot smaller than what XCR700 is looking for came with a "Guarantee to start/run for 5yrs" which can't be beat, imo. Our driveway is a 4 car size, side by side, and it does a great job. 2 neighbors have the big honking walk behind types and I can be done my driveway in less than half the time it takes them to do theirs. In the spring I syphon the gas then carry it downstairs and store in my crawlspace. If a big walk behind is needed, I'd give Toro a looksee. They currently have a pretty good deal on as well.

https://www.toro.com/en-ca/homeowner/snow-blowers

Toro snowblower.jpg

Yep, I have a 14 yr. old Toro 826 LE with a Tecumseh engine, it kicks ass and never skips a beat. :bc:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Yep, I have a 14 yr. old Toro 826 LE with a Tecumseh engine, it kicks ass and never skips a beat. :bc:

Tecumseh made a great winter rated engine before they went belly up. Couple of issues with them , the carb would muck up  quick if you left old gas in the tank, the aluminum connecting rod would break if over revved , or the handy adjustment made for more rpm's , going full tilt at first dead cold start , without warm up ,  not changing the oil on a regular basis , cracking of the plastic dipstick tube at the base . I have run across some that had exhaust valve issues on older units. B&S seem to have more exhaust valve related issues than Tecumseh. All metal body on your Toro .     :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 hours ago, xcr700 said:

B&S 250cc 2-Stage Gas Snowblower, 27-in

Looking at these now 

Not bad units, any Briggs dealer will have parts,..Motor is better than the LCT's coming on husky's..

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BOHICA said:

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/snow-removal-and-equipment/snow-blowers/7468374?x429=true&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI856Wt6CM4AIViCCtBh302QPrEAQYASABEgIID_D_BwE

this is what I used when I lived in snow country in Idaho but 2 stroke model of this blower.  Since I was lucky enough to be able to not have to live in snow country anymore I haven’t used it in couple years

I love those old two stroke Toro's, I have a 16" model and it's amazing how it throws snow.

16 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

2k ? well that shoukd pay for at least 8 yrs of a guy coming to your house and plowing you out .

I pay 35 bucks a push and they shovel my walk from driveway to door also .I sure,shit am not getting suted up and dealing with that shit for 35 bucks . also when I am out of town enjoying the snow I don't have to hear a complaning wife bitching about having to shovel while I am out playing in the snow .

fuck that alone is worth 150 a push 

Maybe someday I'll get snow service, but I doubt it as the wife and I like cleaning up the snow.

I have a 1995 MTD 10hp 28" throw away that has always started easy and never let me down.  Last time I changed the oil was in 2010.  Currently, however, it only has 2nd gear and no reverse but it still throws the snow like a motherfucker.  I'm sick of lugging it backwards all over the place.  I'm also in the market for a new one butdget $1500 max.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

I have a 1995 MTD 10hp 28" throw away that has always started easy and never let me down.  Last time I changed the oil was in 2010.  Currently, however, it only has 2nd gear and no reverse but it still throws the snow like a motherfucker.  I'm sick of lugging it backwards all over the place.  I'm also in the market for a new one butdget $1500 max.

Only if you want to mess with it. The rubber drive disc is worn out or chunked . If you do the repair change out both drive axle bushings at the same time. Pretty cheap repair if you are doing it yourself .  Glad your MTD has provided you good service.   :thumbsup:

Edited by hwytohell

10 hours ago, snoughnut said:

Toro's are pretty popular on BITOG.com (Bob is the oil guy.com) This is a quick search I did but there are many others that recommend Toro's as well. Like I mentioned earlier, 35+ years using one and never a hiccup with either the older 2 strokes or my current 4 stroke. At my work, Toros are all they use and there is likely 25+ of them spread around the plant and outside the fence. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4926704/recommend-a-workhorse-no-frills-snowblower#Post4926704

darlington-generating-station-full.jpg

Edited by irv

Well I had it apart . I think its something in the gear box. Too cold in the garage to continue working ,since my heater fucking exploded :lol:so its going to the doctor.  I went and looked at some new and used blowers, all looked cheap in comparison to my baby lol. So I'm going to just fix her up 

20190127_152832.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, xcr700 said:

Well I had it apart . I think its something in the gear box. Too cold in the garage to continue working ,since my heater fucking exploded :lol:so its going to the doctor.  I went and looked at some new and used blowers, all looked cheap in comparison to my baby lol. So I'm going to just fix her up 

Not a bad idea. You'll know exactly what you are getting :thumb:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, xcr700 said:

20190127_152832.jpg

What happened to the heater