Loud exhaust, trespassing = no trails :(

odot1

Can't agree more.  I was fueling at Fetterly's in Kearney on Saturday around 1pm.  Gassed both sleds up and was waiting on the girl to give me my slip with what to pay inside and into the gas pumps comes some idiot on a Yamaha Sidewinder Turbo with some sort of obviously aftermarket exhaust on it.  It was loud enough at idle, we could not carry on a conversation.  My 1st thought is "where is a Cop when you need one"  My second thought is "what performance advantage on a sled that already makes 180hp can this idiot expect to get, and where can he ride it to its potential seeing as there are no deep powder mountains in Ontario".

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clayfan said:

Can't agree more.  I was fueling at Fetterly's in Kearney on Saturday around 1pm.  Gassed both sleds up and was waiting on the girl to give me my slip with what to pay inside and into the gas pumps comes some idiot on a Yamaha Sidewinder Turbo with some sort of obviously aftermarket exhaust on it.  It was loud enough at idle, we could not carry on a conversation.  My 1st thought is "where is a Cop when you need one"  My second thought is "what performance advantage on a sled that already makes 180hp can this idiot expect to get, and where can he ride it to its potential seeing as there are no deep powder mountains in Ontario".

Most likely he is running up in the 300 hp range with the aftermarket muffler or straight pipe.  Send out the helicopter and drones

Edited by 04nightfire
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Straight forward to fix most of it, boycott any and all business's that sell cans and refuse to ride with anyone that has one. Same goes for that one fawker in the group that just can't stay on the trail, tell him to fuck off.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, ZRSledhead said:

Straight forward to fix most of it, boycott any and all business's that sell cans and refuse to ride with anyone that has one. Same goes for that one fawker in the group that just can't stay on the trail, tell him to fuck off.

...and...I'll keep ticketing them.  I like my trails open!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I see Quebec is stepping up the program n towing or impounding those insisting on being can equipped. So many cry a river about more enforcement but don't have enough brains to be part of the solution vs part of the problem.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Clayfan said:

Was at fetterly one day and a guy with loud can comes up and the cop is in the back.  He goes to the pump and cop walks up gives him a ticket.  Justice served but I doubt he took the can off.  I wish more gas station would stop selling to guys with cana.  

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, Pt3189 said:

How about making the ticket an unbearable amount, say 500 bucks or so ? Hit em where it hurts.

How about making it DB related instead of condemning every aftermarket exhaust?

Hey, I'm all in favor of ridding the trail system of obnoxious race cans, but there are plenty of exhausts out there that are the same or less DB than the OEM stuff.

The blanket law is obsolete.

For now, hit me with the $110, hell, I spend more than that at lunch.   lol

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

It is far simpler just to ban aftermarket exhaust than it is to try and set/enforce a DB limit.    Who is going to properly train the officers to test for sound?   Sound testing is a bit of a science.   You have to take into consideration the atmospheric pressure, wind, rpms to test at and distance from machine to test.  

I can see everyone fighting their tickets and winning if the OPP went this route.  

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 hours ago, scottyr said:

It is far simpler just to ban aftermarket exhaust than it is to try and set/enforce a DB limit.    Who is going to properly train the officers to test for sound?   Sound testing is a bit of a science.   You have to take into consideration the atmospheric pressure, wind, rpms to test at and distance from machine to test.  

I can see everyone fighting their tickets and winning if the OPP went this route.  

I dont expect anything to change. It was written that way years ago because it was easy to enforce.

If an aftermarket exhaust does in fact meet the same db level, have the manufacture acquire the stamp of approval stating it is accepted.....I am sure a cost associated with the process that most do not want to bare or need to the way things are right now.

Heard some obnoxious sleds today with exhaust systems......4-strokes is a low level drone, that I would think gets annoying over time, than the bark of the 2-stroke that echo's through the bush....

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Stoney said:

If an aftermarket exhaust does in fact meet the same db level, have the manufacture acquire the stamp of approval stating it is accepted.....I am sure a cost associated with the process that most do not want to bare or need to the way things are right now.

Heard some obnoxious sleds today with exhaust systems......4-strokes is a low level drone, that I would think gets annoying over time, than the bark of the 2-stroke that echo's through the bush....

It amazes me that every Snowtrax T.V. show I watch, numerous times throughout an episode, MBRP exhaust systems are advertised? I know they help pay the bills but it surprises the heck out of me, especially with the OFSC affiliation (I believe?) and the amount of trails closing in Ontario, that Supertrax, the T.V. show, promotes something that is partially responsible for closing trails in Ontario? :dunno:

• Like 4

Are loud exhausts really the cause of our trails being closed? I don't think so. Just by the law stating they are illegal and you can be ticketed is enough of a threat for most people not to have one. There are loud exhausts out there but not a lot and not enough to actually close trails.

Our biggest problems with trails closing is people not respecting the land. Not staying on the trail and the garage they leave or the BRP parts being left there. I had to throw in the last one being a Yami guy. 

I also think some landowners are just tired of having the trail on their property. When confronted by the club to why they don't want it...   it's just an excuse they give to have the club leave them alone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fozzy said:

Are loud exhausts really the cause of our trails being closed? I don't think so. Just by the law stating they are illegal and you can be ticketed is enough of a threat for most people not to have one. There are loud exhausts out there but not a lot and not enough to actually close trails.

Our biggest problems with trails closing is people not respecting the land. Not staying on the trail and the garage they leave or the BRP parts being left there. I had to throw in the last one being a Yami guy. 

I also think some landowners are just tired of having the trail on their property. When confronted by the club to why they don't want it...   it's just an excuse they give to have the club leave them alone.

You're wrong, Fozzy, and it's not just an Ontario problem either. Like ODOT posted, it is common knowledge these cans are causing trails to be closed and it's happening all over the Province. People going off trail and not respecting the land is also another problem that is contributing to trail closures. One does not outweigh the other, both issues are certainly contributing.  https://www.baytoday.ca/local-news/bothered-by-loud-snowmobiles-they-could-be-illegal-1202894  https://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/is-your-snowmobile-too-loud-1.4240886    https://www.michigan.gov/som/0,4669,7-192-47796-486146--,00.html

Edited by irv
  • Like 1

My brother is a farmer landowner with a well established trail running thru part of his land,and a sledder himself,we talked awhile back about this as he is getting feed up as well although he is not overly upset about the noise he does detest the two stroke yappy cans and that for the most part the rest sound like his tractor, his biggest gripe is pretty close to what Fozzy has stated broken belts tossed not stowed  other garbage and sleds leaving the marked trail is a biggy and wheelers and dirt bikes accessing the trail in the off season,Iam not condoning exhaust mods by no means just what we discussed.Joe  

• Like 1

Some great points raised here..  As for the DB meter and a set level as stated previously there are way too many variables involved.  Including how to get an accurate level while the motor is under load.  So for now the blanket law of all aftermarket cans are illegal.. And yes, I do agree that there are a few out there quieter than factory.  But then you get back to measuring sound levels.  As for whats worse, going off trail (trespass) or cans..  Here's my experience.  When I first started sled patrols 2001 the biggest concern was trespass/off trail.  I'd say for every 10 off trail complaints we got one noise complaint.  As the years progressed that ratio narrowed until these days they are similar, this year has seen a few more noise complaints than off trail.  We enforce both equally.  But again, for whatever reason this year has been the most vocal against cans.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, odot1 said:

Some great points raised here..  As for the DB meter and a set level as stated previously there are way too many variables involved.  Including how to get an accurate level while the motor is under load.  So for now the blanket law of all aftermarket cans are illegal.. And yes, I do agree that there are a few out there quieter than factory.  But then you get back to measuring sound levels.  As for whats worse, going off trail (trespass) or cans..  Here's my experience.  When I first started sled patrols 2001 the biggest concern was trespass/off trail.  I'd say for every 10 off trail complaints we got one noise complaint.  As the years progressed that ratio narrowed until these days they are similar, this year has seen a few more noise complaints than off trail.  We enforce both equally.  But again, for whatever reason this year has been the most vocal against cans.  

The reason the noise complaints are up, every sled I saw this weekend was some kid riding a can equipped long-track sled with a goofy wrap kit wearing a shovel holding backpack.  I stopped in at Wayne's World on the way up to my place.  He has a few 155 track sleds.  Not sure how practical they are around Bancroft but I'm telling you the kids love them and loud pipes....... it seems to be the way the industry is going, off-trail boondocking shit 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fozzy said:

Hey Fozzy, You happen to have a non-stock exhaust system on that sled of yours.....:news:

I think you are correct on the other account as well though.

4 hours ago, Slow Joe said:

My brother is a farmer landowner with a well established trail running thru part of his land,and a sledder himself,we talked awhile back about this as he is getting feed up as well although he is not overly upset about the noise he does detest the two stroke yappy cans and that for the most part the rest sound like his tractor, his biggest gripe is pretty close to what Fozzy has stated broken belts tossed not stowed  other garbage and sleds leaving the marked trail is a biggy and wheelers and dirt bikes accessing the trail in the off season,Iam not condoning exhaust mods by no means just what we discussed.Joe  

People who own these lands are likely getting less and less tolerant as the years go buy (like most of us do), and it is their land, so they have the right too. Now take a piece of land that is just sold, I am sure most new owners of that land are way less likely to say yes to using my land vs. business as usual......what is in it for ME to let YOU use MY land, and then disrespect me & my land if I do say yes with loud exhaust, trespassing where you should not be, leaving your garbage, etc......

Plus just look around at the increased lack of respect for others in general or their land in this case. 

Heard plenty of aftermarket exhausts on the weekend, but I would guess only a couple of them were the extreme ones that echo though the bush.

Cannot say I saw much garbage though on the trails.

• Like 2