Looking for trailer

firecatguy

3 hours ago, dirtybeacher said:

Are these any good?

The dealer over near Ottawa has good pricing, to good almost. 

They're all made pretty well the same. Some have seamless panels vs screws,some come with track mats,slides,man door etc. 

I've never looked at the Avalanche and if Excalibur is selling them they'll be on the go to list. They stand behind what they build or sell and I've bought a few trailers off them over the years. They sell them with track mats/ slides etc and they're $5695 which is a good price for a crossover

• Thanks 1

I just bought a Crossover Trailer just before Christmas. I did quite a bit of research on them and believe it or not there are a lot of differences.

I ended up buying a Mission for $6200.00

Here are the differences between the Mission and the Excalibur and Avalanche (Excalibur and Avalanche are the same when it comes to quality)

The deck on the Avalanche is smaller than the Mission, 10' compare to 11'

Avalanche is 2 x 3 inch aluminum tubing compared to 2 x 5 inch tubing on the Mission.

Mission has LED lights, Stainless grease able hinges and a higher quality tires. Also the mission is all seamless and not corregated (looks like siding).

With my price they threw in the track matts and a spare tire.

53 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

I just bought a Crossover Trailer just before Christmas. I did quite a bit of research on them and believe it or not there are a lot of differences.

I ended up buying a Mission for $6200.00

Here are the differences between the Mission and the Excalibur and Avalanche (Excalibur and Avalanche are the same when it comes to quality)

The deck on the Avalanche is smaller than the Mission, 10' compare to 11'

Avalanche is 2 x 3 inch aluminum tubing compared to 2 x 5 inch tubing on the Mission.

Mission has LED lights, Stainless grease able hinges and a higher quality tires. Also the mission is all seamless and not corregated (looks like siding).

With my price they threw in the track matts and a spare tire.

Be careful with your LED's. They don't melt snow like the older style ones and can completely block your tail/brake and other lights. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/led-traffic-lights-trouble-in-winter-because-they-don-t-melt-snow-1.3465301

4 hours ago, irv said:

Be careful with your LED's. They don't melt snow like the older style ones and can completely block your tail/brake and other lights. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/led-traffic-lights-trouble-in-winter-because-they-don-t-melt-snow-1.3465301

I haven't driven in snow storm with them yet but thanks for the heads up. I will report back if it happens or not on the trailer.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I have some led on my Triton trailer,  can't recall any issues with them.

I don't have LED's on my trailer or any vehicle either but I remember this being discussed either here or another forum before. I assume it isn't a big problem but just thought I'd mention it for those that are considering them for their trailers or vehicles? Tail Lights/brake lights, like it mentions are the most prone to this. https://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/threads/hid-led-head-lamps-in-snow.302254/ 

"Keep in mind that certain conditions will cause snow and ice to accumulate on pretty much any type of headlight, even traditional incandescent bulbs. LED lights are just more susceptible to it because they run cooler than conventional bulbs".

"But one major drawback that both traffic lights and vehicles have experienced with LEDs is their lack of produced heat. While the LED drivers mounted onto vehicle headlamps can produce enough heat that they require cooling fans, little of this energy gets to the lens where it can help to melt snow and ice. Fortunately, the air flow over these lamps helps to keep things clear in the winter. The same certainly cannot be said for tail lamps. Take a look at vehicles ahead of you while driving on snow-covered roads when their tires are kicking up a suitable amount of the white stuff. If those drivers are intelligent enough to have on all of their exterior lights, those vehicles equipped with incandescent bulbs will be showing you a bright clear red lens (unless they’re salt covered), while most of the LED type will be white with snow and almost utterly useless"

26 minutes ago, irv said:

I don't have LED's on my trailer or any vehicle either but I remember this being discussed either here or another forum before. I assume it isn't a big problem but just thought I'd mention it for those that are considering them for their trailers or vehicles? Tail Lights/brake lights, like it mentions are the most prone to this. https://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/threads/hid-led-head-lamps-in-snow.302254/ 

"Keep in mind that certain conditions will cause snow and ice to accumulate on pretty much any type of headlight, even traditional incandescent bulbs. LED lights are just more susceptible to it because they run cooler than conventional bulbs".

"But one major drawback that both traffic lights and vehicles have experienced with LEDs is their lack of produced heat. While the LED drivers mounted onto vehicle headlamps can produce enough heat that they require cooling fans, little of this energy gets to the lens where it can help to melt snow and ice. Fortunately, the air flow over these lamps helps to keep things clear in the winter. The same certainly cannot be said for tail lamps. Take a look at vehicles ahead of you while driving on snow-covered roads when their tires are kicking up a suitable amount of the white stuff. If those drivers are intelligent enough to have on all of their exterior lights, those vehicles equipped with incandescent bulbs will be showing you a bright clear red lens (unless they’re salt covered), while most of the LED type will be white with snow and almost utterly useless"

There have been lots of discussion in the last few years regarding LED lights and not having the heat of your traditional lights, but look around at the cars on road now a days, there are a lot more LED lights being used on a lot more cars that do not seem to have the issue.....perhaps a different type of lens is used to decrease snow and such from sticking....not too sure.

The lights on my trailer that seem to have the biggest issue with getting caked in the road sleet are the front corner markers, that are not the LED lights, but that is it.

25 minutes ago, Stoney said:

There have been lots of discussion in the last few years regarding LED lights and not having the heat of your traditional lights, but look around at the cars on road now a days, there are a lot more LED lights being used on a lot more cars that do not seem to have the issue.....perhaps a different type of lens is used to decrease snow and such from sticking....not too sure.

The lights on my trailer that seem to have the biggest issue with getting caked in the road sleet are the front corner markers, that are not the LED lights, but that is it.

Well, the outside temps and the conditions on the road would dictate how much snow sticks to these LED lights, which hasn't been much of a problem around these parts for a while anyways so it's likely not something that is dealt with too often around these parts. Up North in the snow belt areas might be a different story however? I like the looks of them on vehicles but I honestly don't think I'd put them on my sled trailer as the lights hang real low and would most likely snow up if the roads weren't clear? 

True, but with the luxury of using hand signals, it's not as bad as being on a road, imo, plus everytime I stop I usually wipe it off if it is covered or partially covered. Like I said, I was just mentioning it so Fozzy and others know about the possibility of their taillights getting covered while underway on snow covered roads. :bc:

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 7:38 PM, irv said:

True, but with the luxury of using hand signals, it's not as bad as being on a road, imo, plus everytime I stop I usually wipe it off if it is covered or partially covered. Like I said, I was just mentioning it so Fozzy and others know about the possibility of their taillights getting covered while underway on snow covered roads. :bc:

So just came back from riding in NY at Tug Hill. We drove up Thursday afternoon and the lake effect was insane. They were closing I81 just as we got through. We could not see a thing and drove maybe 20km/hr with our heads out the window just to see the pickets to make our way down the highway lol.

i checked our lights on your recommendation Irv and all was good. They did not ice up. The tail lights on the truck were worse.

IMG_4131.thumb.JPG.bdc8ec874cbec3f0174e9c47ff309007.JPG

IMG_4132.thumb.JPG.0b35175ee855a843ad8c1aaeb1224067.JPG

IMG_4134.thumb.JPG.4fde3f18db23019ad529b475cbe66779.JPG

1 hour ago, Fozzy said:

So just came back from riding in NY at Tug Hill. We drove up Thursday afternoon and the lake effect was insane. They were closing I81 just as we got through. We could not see a thing and drove maybe 20km/hr with our heads out the window just to see the pickets to make our way down the highway lol.

i checked our lights on your recommendation Irv and all was good. They did not ice up. The tail lights on the truck were worse.

IMG_4134.thumb.JPG.4fde3f18db23019ad529b475cbe66779.JPG

That must have been a fun drive! Glad to hear/see your lights weren't all covered up. :bc: