Nuts & Bolts

Algonquin Rider

Back in Windsor we had a place called A&H Nut and Bolt. You could go into their retail part and grab a paper bag and take hand fulls of what ever nuts, bolts washers etc and just paid by the pound.

Is there anywhere around that does that? Not the Home Depot or Princess Auto where you put the Qty and item number on a bag and pay per piece.

3 hours ago, Algonquin Rider said:

Back in Windsor we had a place called A&H Nut and Bolt. You could go into their retail part and grab a paper bag and take hand fulls of what ever nuts, bolts washers etc and just paid by the pound.

Is there anywhere around that does that? Not the Home Depot or Princess Auto where you put the Qty and item number on a bag and pay per piece.

HD Supply (brafasco) would be an alternate, still pay by the piece as far as I know, or Bolts Plus.

I know Home Hardware uses that method for nails, not sure if used for anything else.

That place in Windsor rings a bell, I am sure one of many suppliers I frequently visited when I lived there working for Haller.

A few years back I was in Brafasco. They had a large recycling plastic bin full of assorted nuts and bolts. Asked the guy at the counter what they did with all that stuff. They took my offer of $80 for the lot. Has saved me more then once. Had to be 10 lbs of stainless steel also mixed in the box.

Edited by bladefever

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:21 AM, Algonquin Rider said:

I can't see that working especially in the stores like Home Depot or Princess Auto. Their inventory replenishment would be automated based on sales. They set a threshold of 500  1/4 X 1 bolts as the reorder point, sales are tracked by stock number and when they hit that 500 they automatically replenish up to 1500.

My Wife found a gold mine. Van Tuyl and Fairbanks Hardware in Petrolia, ON. https://vantuylandfairbank.ca/

She grew up there and was in the area. All nuts, washers and bolts $3 a pound. Up to 3/4" 6" long.

So old some of the store still has a dirt floor. Been in business since 1866 supplying the oil industry. I'll be sure to check it out next time I'm there.

• Like 3