How many miles do you avg. in a season?

3 hours ago, Woodtick said:

I do a lot more off trail now. Used to do 3000 to 4000. More into the smiles than miles these days. Picked this up in the spring and will be lucky to do 30 miles a day.:ylsuper:

image.jpg

I've been mixing in more and more off trail riding the past few years, and I bought my 16 ZR 6000 137 with the intent of keeping it a long time for a boondocker and Wisconsin sled. The new Yammie turbo triple has me thinking about buying one more 4S and that I would just keep as my Canada touring sled.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

I average 3500-4000/year.  I'm riding a Summit this year as we are pivoting to off trail riding and coupled with a busy winter schedule filled with kids activities - my miles and snowmobile smiles will be way down the next 4-5 years.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
41 minutes ago, mnstang said:

No idea about miles, I don't gauge much from that any more.  But usually riding every weekend.

25 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Wow ... old thread?!?!  I don't know how many miles I put on, but I can guess how many bars we hit throughout the season :whistle:

I always like how we gauge how good our season is/was.  Mileage is the gold standard but,  it isn’t the only one.  Quantity of quality rides is my gauge.

17 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I always like how we gauge how good our season is/was.  Mileage is the gold standard but,  it isn’t the only one.  Quantity of quality rides is my gauge.

Is there a bad ride?  I mean, yeah, if the trails have melted and you find your way back to the truck on a dirt trail, but still, you are on the sled!

322223A0-7A54-45E0-8174-C4111E4E2C7D.jpeg

With that said, I haven't had less than 4400 in a season in quite some time.  Usually in the 5k+ range.

Edited by Mag6240

7 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Is there a bad ride?  I mean, yeah, if the trails have melted and you find your way back to the truck on a dirt trail, but still, you are on the sled!

322223A0-7A54-45E0-8174-C4111E4E2C7D.jpeg

With that said, I haven't had less than 4400 in a season in quite some time.  Usually in the 5k+ range.

I won’t ride when the trails are dirt/mud.  I’m not an “exploratory” rider. I don’t like clogged up trails where passing people has to be the entire ride.  Not a fan when the big time group rides go through and put 1 foot whoops at uneven intervals for miles and miles.  Wtf are they all doing?  It’s weird.  I also don’t like freshly groomed, smooth trails for too many miles.  I detest long straight trails, lakes and rail beds.  

I like a good mix of trail conditions. I’m fortunate to live in an area that I can pick and choose the perfect places and times to ride to get that.  We have a nice designated course that works excellent….and it never gets boring.

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Trail riding is less than half of my riding time these days so the miles thing really is pointless.  Plus it's spread over 4-5 machines.  But to me it's not about miles or even hours on the machine it's if at the end of the day I had fun or enjoyed my time out.  I could rack up very high miles in a season if that was my goal but I've pounded trails relentlessly for years and I'd say the sport for me has moved beyond just that and I'd rather be doing other things on a sled.  I might only do one big dedicated trail day a few times a year now.  And it's nice to not have to rely on trail conditions to ride I get a much longer season too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mnstang said:

Trail riding is less than half of my riding time these days so the miles thing really is pointless.  Plus it's spread over 4-5 machines.  But to me it's not about miles or even hours on the machine it's if at the end of the day I had fun or enjoyed my time out.  I could rack up very high miles in a season if that was my goal but I've pounded trails relentlessly for years and I'd say the sport for me has moved beyond just that and I'd rather be doing other things on a sled.  I might only do one big dedicated trail day a few times a year now.  And it's nice to not have to rely on trail conditions to ride I get a much longer season too.

Despite my (poor) joke about the number of bars, I totally agree and get what you're saying.  We have a great little, small town bar & grill about 10 minutes from home by trail, and we like to go there for "Taco Night" during the week.  Or when the snow is good, riding the sled to my buddy's place, about 20 miles by trail, for a designated weekend of cards night.  I could easily call it a great season if that's all I did.  But I do enjoy the trips up north with the guys, and making the various loops where we stop and visit with bar owners that we've gotten to know over the years and shooting the shit with them.  It's fun catching up with them & sharing stories from year to year (and generally laughing about past years' visits).  I've had great trips where we put on 25 miles a day, and I've had great trips with 250 miles a day.  The main thing is to be able to ride without dealing with issues ... which is why I try to limit my riding with Cat guys and waiting on them to fix stuff all the time!! :lol2:

17 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Despite my (poor) joke about the number of bars, I totally agree and get what you're saying.  We have a great little, small town bar & grill about 10 minutes from home by trail, and we like to go there for "Taco Night" during the week.  Or when the snow is good, riding the sled to my buddy's place, about 20 miles by trail, for a designated weekend of cards night.  I could easily call it a great season if that's all I did.  But I do enjoy the trips up north with the guys, and making the various loops where we stop and visit with bar owners that we've gotten to know over the years and shooting the shit with them.  It's fun catching up with them & sharing stories from year to year (and generally laughing about past years' visits).  I've had great trips where we put on 25 miles a day, and I've had great trips with 250 miles a day.  The main thing is to be able to ride without dealing with issues ... which is why I try to limit my riding with Cat guys and waiting on them to fix stuff all the time!! :lol2:

I really only do it any more for the social element of hanging out with buddies and the nostalgia of visiting the local establishments.  I still have fun while trail riding and still like to wick it up, but that's not the real reason I do it any more.  I must be old.  Not old enough for a Polaris though.  No klim, navigation screens or tekvests here.

2 hours ago, Bontz said:

4 hours ago, mnstang said:

I'm in agreement with you boys on this, I have quite a bit of fun out putting around with my boy. It would be fun to get together with some guys from here to cruise around and put a face with the name. FS invades mille lacs? Lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mnstang said:

Some of my most fun rides were just spontaneous rides where we just took off with no planning (and improper gear).  Maybe an hour or so but damn!  Just a blast.  Riding 2-3 times a week from the garage is what it’s all about for me.  Sometimes just a shake down/tuning run on the power lines or just a run for fun for an hour.  I don’t need a 200 mile day to get my fix in for sure.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 5:18 PM, Zambroski said:

Some of my most fun rides were just spontaneous rides where we just took off with no planning (and improper gear).  Maybe an hour or so but damn!  Just a blast.  Riding 2-3 times a week from the garage is what it’s all about for me.  Sometimes just a shake down/tuning run on the power lines or just a run for fun for an hour.  I don’t need a 200 mile day to get my fix in for sure.

I went through different phases. When I was younger I liked to pound diamonds and the miles added up fast. The older that I got it was more about getting out and enjoying the day. No need to rush.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ckf said:

I went through different phases. When I was younger I liked to pound diamonds and the miles added up fast. The older that I got it was more about getting out and enjoying the day. No need to rush.

I’ve gotten to where I don’t like doing much of anything for more than 3-4 hours and even then, I have a hassle factor to compute.  Gonna be interesting to see how I handle this year if I don’t have some place right on the trails.  And right now, I’m seeing some trailer time to get to the trailhead.  Ughhhh…

Are these even “1st world problems” anymore?  :)

• Like 1