Ran into a New Scam today

Blackstar

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:55 PM, 1trailmaker said:

some people do sell their cars with plates, not sure why you would let someone just drive off though.

Its an 02 story so it will be full of holes :lol: 

More BS from the pot clouded mind of Fail.... the guy who NEVER gets anything right. Think about it, the plates are transferrable to the new owner, just like a sled. There are lots of people out there that do lots of crazy / risky things. Like all the people who fall prey to the scams demanding money or get arrested for back taxes. How much have you lost to the scams Fail... you must be pretty easy to get one over on with that fogged up head of yours.

6 hours ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

it is their legal responsibility to look over your equipment. Its my business, I know what im talking about

So you're a duct cleaner?

20 hours ago, Poncho said:

Agree, but a ton of people do, which is retarded. Especially trailer plates. My buddy still gets the odd ETR bill from a trailer he sold with the plates on....stupid..lol

Fail says that can't happen

1 minute ago, 02sled said:

More BS from the pot clouded mind of Fail.... the guy who NEVER gets anything right. Think about it, the plates are transferrable to the new owner, just like a sled. There are lots of people out there that do lots of crazy / risky things. Like all the people who fall prey to the scams demanding money or get arrested for back taxes. How much have you lost to the scams Fail... you must be pretty easy to get one over on with that fogged up head of yours.

maybe you "02sled" gives your plates away to a stranger but like I said most people would not do that.  You are the exception and will fight the point 

If you want to transfer plates the go to the Service Ontario and take your name off it.  Pretty simple I am glad to help you out 

On 11/16/2018 at 2:22 PM, 02sled said:

So how can they if they haven't seen inside the furnace. All they have done is stick a vacuum down a duct.

Exactly. If they open up your furnace yes but if they don't get in it, it would be like standing outside and saying you have a problem with your furnace.

I read an article recently where someone sold a vehicle, didn't go to the MTO to change it over with the new owner and got hit for 1000's in 407 tolls. They couldn't renew their plates for any of their vehicles until it was paid.

On 11/16/2018 at 2:30 PM, ArcticCrusher said:

Why would anyone leave their plates on with new owners?

On 11/16/2018 at 4:55 PM, 1trailmaker said:

some people do sell their cars with plates, not sure why you would let someone just drive off though.

Its an 02 story so it will be full of holes :lol: 

4 minutes ago, 02sled said:

2 minutes ago, 02sled said:

Fail says that can't happen

02sled you are so funny :lol: do you just think of these scenarios or does it come natural :lol: 

Keep giving your plates away 

11 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

maybe you "02sled" gives your plates away to a stranger but like I said most people would not do that.  You are the exception and will fight the point 

If you want to transfer plates the go to the Service Ontario and take your name off it.  Pretty simple I am glad to help you out 

Dumb as a stump Fail keeps blathering on. Myself I let someone else, the dealer sell my vehicle when I trade it in so it's not a worry. They ask me if I'd like to keep the same plates or get new. Do you go to Service Ontario with whoever buys your new sled and change it over Fail. Or how about your boat, do you go to Service Canada with the buyer and change ownership? Something tells me NO.

10 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

02sled you are so funny :lol: do you just think of these scenarios or does it come natural :lol: 

Keep giving your plates away 

Get your head out of your ass Fail and join the real world.... you just don't pay attention do you. It's been all over the news for a while about the scam where people get a call from CRA threatening arrest if they don't pay up on taxes owed and lots of people have fallen for it. You probably saw it but like a lot can't remember it since you saw it yesterday when you were high.

• 3 weeks later...

I had my ducts cleaned by an east Indian guy from the GTA (I'm in Sudbury) this summer, did a great job.

He opened up the furnace to clean the heat exchanger and fan.

Did my A.C. coil as well.

Very profesional.

BTW the only way one of these guys can rest tag your furnace is if the have a G1 license. On the tag it must list what is wrong, their name and License number.

Most of them can't speak enough English to pass the exam.

9 hours ago, soupkid said:

I had my ducts cleaned by an east Indian guy from the GTA (I'm in Sudbury) this summer, did a great job.

He opened up the furnace to clean the heat exchanger and fan.

Did my A.C. coil as well.

Very profesional.

BTW the only way one of these guys can rest tag your furnace is if the have a G1 license. On the tag it must list what is wrong, their name and License number.

Most of them can't speak enough English to pass the exam.

I am glad it worded out for you, you are the first I have heard from.

The water tak guys that come to the door,  I am here to inspect your water heater.  I asked for his license and he just looked at me and said I don't need one :lol: 

10 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

I am glad it worded out for you, you are the first I have heard from.

The water tak guys that come to the door,  I am here to inspect your water heater.  I asked for his license and he just looked at me and said I don't need one :lol: 

I got a call from Tracy who sounded very east Indian this morning asking for me by name. She wanted to set up an urgent appointment to inspect my RENTAL water heater. If I didn't comply they were going to cut my gas off. Sorry Tracy... my water heater isn't a rental and it's virtually new. Take your scam elsewhere.

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

I got a call from Tracy who sounded very east Indian this morning asking for me by name. She wanted to set up an urgent appointment to inspect my RENTAL water heater. If I didn't comply they were going to cut my gas off. Sorry Tracy... my water heater isn't a rental and it's virtually new. Take your scam elsewhere.

Never heard that one before but I guess they have to change things up once in a while to keep people fooled. Thanks for posting it up, 02.

18 hours ago, irv said:

Never heard that one before but I guess they have to change things up once in a while to keep people fooled. Thanks for posting it up, 02.

I got one telling me they were going to lower the interest rate on all of my credit cards. They wanted to start with my Visa card. They said that is the one that starts with a 4, please confirm the rest of the number so we can make sure we have the correct number on our records. It's 16 digits. All Visa cards start with 4.

On 11/15/2018 at 11:57 AM, irv said:

Seems like the scammers are in full swing lately! I don't think a day has gone by in a week where I am not at least getting 2 calls a day about something. The most persistent ones are the prerecorded Visa account info and zero percent interest rate thing. After listening to it you press 1 and of course a guy comes that you can barely understand. He says congrats, you qualify for a zero percent interest rate. He then reads the first 2 numbers, usually 4-5 then want you to tell him the rest of your numbers. :lol:

I said hold on, I have to grab my card. I let a few seconds pass then starting by saying, 4, 5 F, U, C, then he hung up.

Read recently where these scammers have bilked over $15 millions dollars in the CRA scam from over 400 CDN's. No wonder they keep doing what they do! :sad:

18 minutes ago, 02sled said:

I got one telling me they were going to lower the interest rate on all of my credit cards. They wanted to start with my Visa card. They said that is the one that starts with a 4, please confirm the rest of the number so we can make sure we have the correct number on our records. It's 16 digits. All Visa cards start with 4.

Read above. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Platinum Contributing Member

I have a Canadian Tire Triangle Card. I'm sure most are aware that its a points card. Buy stuff get CT Points/money.

I use mine for my business. I have 5 of them for Myself, employees and family so I gather up a fair bit of money on the card each year. Around this time I start looking at what I want to buy. Last Time I bought a Big Dewalt tool box.

A couple weeks ago I buy something at Canadian Tire and the girl says "do you want to use some of your points?" No I just save them up, I say. I glance at her screen and it says $300 and something available. I think to myself, Hmmm, I thought it was over $2000 last time I looked?

But don't think much of it. Thought I needed to have a talk with the wife cause she probably ordered something but she would usually tell me. But then we are renovating the house so maybe she didn't.

I ask she says "No." I ask my employees and they all say No.

I log in to my account which I haven't logged into to in several years since the numbers come on the statement. I scroll back through purchases and last month someone made 2 purchases a day apart in Scarborough totaling $2200.00 using points money.

I call Triangle and after a short discussion it seems that someone hacked into my account and requested a Loyalty points card. Not a credit card, this is just a card that allows access to the points then they went and cleaned out my points money.

Triangle will investigate and they are sending me new cards. He won't say what would happen with my missing points money but I assume its gone. They are going to email me the results.

Bummer.

Edited by Blackstar

18 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I have a Canadian Tire Triangle Card. I'm sure most are aware that its a points card. Buy stuff get CT Points/money.

I use mine for my business. I have 5 of them for Myself, employees and family so I gather up a fair bit of money on the card each year. Around this time I start looking at what I want to buy. Last Time I bought a Big Dewalt tool box.

A couple weeks ago I buy something at Canadian Tire and the girl says "do you want to use some of your points?" No I just save them up, I say. I glance at her screen and it says $300 and something available. I think to myself, Hmmm, I thought it was over $2000 last time I looked?

But don't think much of it. Thought I needed to have a talk with the wife cause she probably ordered something but she would usually tell me. But then we are renovating the house so maybe she didn't.

I log in to my account which I haven't logged into to in several years since the numbers come on the statement. I scroll back through purchases and last month someone made 2 purchases a day apart in Scarborough totaling $2200.00 using points money.

I call Triangle and after a short discussion it seems that someone hacked into my account and requested a Loyalty points card. Not a credit card, this is just a card that allows access to the points then they went and cleaned out my points money.

Triangle will investigate and they are sending me new cards. He won't say what would happen with my missing points money but I assume its gone. They are going to email me the results.

Bummer.

keep on them for your points, this is shit

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Bummer.

Sorry to hear, Tim. I usually don't let my points build up like that as I don't buy a lot of stuff from CDN Tire much anymore, but I appreciate the heads up about this.

Like Trial said, keep on them as this is unacceptable from CDN Tire, especially this day and age where they know this goes on and most big companies have protected and continue to protect themselves against this sort of thing. 

All stores have a camera system and there primary focus is the registers and returns desk, so they know the store and time the card was used, so just a matter of checking the footage to try and ID the person.

Most retails stores also have camera's in the lots now too for liability, so there might be footage there too with car, license plate, etc.....

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 10:00 AM, Blackstar said:

Bummer.

Any updates, Tim? 

I don't answer the phone to any #"s that aren't in my contact list. The other day I was waiting for a call and I was going home from the store and I get an incoming call . I press the button on the steering wheel and low and behold it's the fkn duct cleaners. When I got home I blocked the number and added it to the collection of blocked numbers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Cops chasing down reward card fraud.

Ok.

Over $2,000 of it, why not.....it is the same as cash being stolen, but I imagine Cdn Tire would follow the same method as Visa or MC, which the triangle card is a credit card with there points tied to it, so investigate, if no foul play, reimburse.

Going to take at least a month or more before you hear anything though.

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 hours ago, Stoney said:

Over $2,000 of it, why not.....it is the same as cash being stolen, but I imagine Cdn Tire would follow the same method as Visa or MC, which the triangle card is a credit card with there points tied to it, so investigate, if no foul play, reimburse.

Going to take at least a month or more before you hear anything though.

Yep, I don't expect to hear anything for a while.

16 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Cops chasing down reward card fraud.

Ok.

I would expect that Triangle will be doing the investigating and show the results to the cops. If this person was capable of doing this once, they have likely done it multiple times.