Ran into a New Scam today

Blackstar

• Platinum Contributing Member

So I stopped for lunch at a small plaza in Kitchener near the 401. I'm leaving, hop in my truck when a Grand Cherokee pulls up beside me. The guy is speaking to me in Italian and broken English. I figure out he is looking for direction to the 401, he's trying to get to the airport. I give directions. We chat back and forth a bit. He says he graphic artist, works for a fashion design company. Gives me a card, location of business is Milano. 

He says "Hey, what size are you? I have some samples."

I say "Big. Like XXL."

He hands me a jacket. "Take it, enjoy". (I'm starting to notice his English is better than he let on but, hey, its a free jacket.)

Then he hands me a second jacket with a Ferrari logo on the breast in tan suede. "Take it, its yours. These sell for $1000"

I say "Ok, dude, what's deal? Your English is getting better and nothing comes for free. What do you want?"

"Nothing, Nothing." he says. "Here's a jacket for your son. What size is he? And what about a lady's coat?"

I say "Ok stop. What's the deal?"

He says he has a son back in Italy he'd like to buy lap top for. "How about $2000 for everything?"

I said "Here's your shit. Thanks for fucking with me and wasting my time. Peddle your junk to someone else." And I got back in my truck.

He spun out and right into the next plaza over and started cruising there.

I guess the "speakers in the van" deal has worn itself out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

So I stopped for lunch at a small plaza in Kitchener near the 401. I'm leaving, hop in my truck when a Grand Cherokee pulls up beside me. The guy is speaking to me in Italian and broken English. I figure out he is looking for direction to the 401, he's trying to get to the airport. I give directions. We chat back and forth a bit. He says he graphic artist, works for a fashion design company. Gives me a card, location of business is Milano. 

He says "Hey, what size are you? I have some samples."

I say "Big. Like XXL."

He hands me a jacket. "Take it, enjoy". (I'm starting to notice his English is better than he let on but, hey, its a free jacket.)

Then he hands me a second jacket with a Ferrari logo on the breast in tan suede. "Take it, its yours. These sell for $1000"

I say "Ok, dude, what's deal? Your English is getting better and nothing comes for free. What do you want?"

"Nothing, Nothing." he says. "Here's a jacket for your son. What size is he? And what about a lady's coat?"

I say "Ok stop. What's the deal?"

He says he has a son back in Italy he'd like to buy lap top for. "How about $2000 for everything?"

I said "Here's your shit. Thanks for fucking with me and wasting my time. Peddle your junk to someone else." And I got back in my truck.

He spun out and right into the next plaza over and started cruising there.

I guess the "speakers in the van" deal has worn itself out.

about 3 years ago at yorkmills and yonge shell station had a guy say the same thing (bold) to me.   When I was giving him directions he just kept nodding and didn't really seem like he was paying too much attentions.  my scam alert went up and I don't need a suit or jacket :lol: 

so I guess this is a  thing even with suits not just stereos 

Edited by 1trailmaker

I had that same prick in Newmarket last fall. When i asked him in Italian where he's from exactly I got no answer.

He was looking for a rush plane ticket home. Told him I'd book it for him just show me your passport so I can have the correct info. He told me to fuck aff and left.

There a a guy trying to unload large screen TV's.

His line was somehow he ended up with one extra and could sell it at a great price.  So a couple of days later in the same location he tries again.  I said bud, don't you remember me, you I didn't work then and won't work now.:lol:

I recall reading some time ago about a scammer who had some success unloading his TV's. Problem is they were all defective and none of them worked. He was caught but not until after he took a number of people.

15 minutes ago, 2strokemerc said:

Yup, my trail pass which was ordered last Friday. Probably forever lost.

I just got mine today and I didn't pay the extra $10 for guaranteed shipping that I got suckered into last year. :bc:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, irv said:

I just got mine today and I didn't pay the extra $10 for guaranteed shipping that I got suckered into last year. :bc:

I won't pay the extra 10 for delivery.  Canada Post only loses 1 of every 1000 items that are sent to my house. lol

My problem is that it was mailed out in Barrie, I live in Barrie. I believe it goes to Mississauga then comes back to Barrie. I get bills in a day or two sent from T.O. but takes a week or more for stuff sent from Barrie to get to me.

25 minutes ago, 2strokemerc said:

I won't pay the extra 10 for delivery.  Canada Post only loses 1 of every 1000 items that are sent to my house. lol

My problem is that it was mailed out in Barrie, I live in Barrie. I believe it goes to Mississauga then comes back to Barrie. I get bills in a day or two sent from T.O. but takes a week or more for stuff sent from Barrie to get to me.

The permits are sent from the Brantford/Paris Ont area from the company contracted by the OFSC to process /distribute them. 

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, 2strokemerc said:

The Gateway sorting plant in Mississauga was hit with at least 2 days of the rotating strikes.

1 hour ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

The permits are sent from the Brantford/Paris Ont area from the company contracted by the OFSC to process /distribute them. 

54 minutes ago, 02sled said:

The Gateway sorting plant in Mississauga was hit with at least 2 days of the rotating strikes.

So maybe Christmas then?

So the thread went from scammers to trail passes .......  

Alrighty then .......

Tim , had the same “ Italian Leather Jacket “ scammy hitup a few years back . I told him , they some like diesel fuel , what kind of shitty pleather is this shit ...  and he walked away . 

Have had the duct cleaners guys call me for a few years. Have asked to be taken off their call list. But over time I get pounded with calls again.

So now I have them come to the house to clean my ducts.... But I have a boiler system with rads. The guys aren't happy when they see the rads. The manager has promised me I would be taken off the call list. And I promised his that if and when they call again.... They will be coming out again to look at my boiler system. So far they have been to the house 4 times......

When we lived in the city the duct callers were calling 2-3 times a week. I asked him if they cleaned black ducks and he said yes. Then I asked if they cleaned wood ducks and he said yes. When I asked if they cleaned Mallards he told me to fuckoff and hung up. So much for customer relations lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bladefever said:

Have had the duct cleaners guys call me for a few years. Have asked to be taken off their call list. But over time I get pounded with calls again.

So now I have them come to the house to clean my ducts.... But I have a boiler system with rads. The guys aren't happy when they see the rads. The manager has promised me I would be taken off the call list. And I promised his that if and when they call again.... They will be coming out again to look at my boiler system. So far they have been to the house 4 times......

That funny :lol: 

These fucks only want one thing and that is to RED TAG YOUR FURNACE 

5 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

Don't let them near the furnace. Someone cleaning ducts hasn't any need to open up the furnace itself.

6 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

Some how the duct cleaners got a hold of my cell number. Called me at the cottage this summer. Told them I wasn't home but they were welcome to come to my cottage and clean the ducts. I tried my best but the cottage didn't show up on his Google map. They weren't able to get a proper address and couldn't book the appointment.... Come to think of it.... I only have a woodstove at the cottage. 

1 hour ago, 1trailmaker said:

except to clean the return air :dunno:  

The return air on mine is before the electronic air cleaner and filter. No reason for them to open up the furnace itself which is beyond that point. :nuts:They are there to clean ducts and not the furnace.

1 minute ago, 02sled said:

The return air on mine is before the electronic air cleaner and filter. No reason for them to open up the furnace itself which is beyond that point. :nuts:They are there to clean ducts and not the furnace.

I guess you don't get that its a scam

14 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

I guess you don't get that its a scam

I get that it's a scam. Cleaning ducts isn't a scam, particularly on an older house. Only an idiot would let a duct cleaner open up their furnace.