Union station/subway to Eglinton ave east?

irv

I have an appointment I need to attend to next Wednesday and instead of trying to drive there all the way from Oshawa, I thought I'd catch the train to Union Station then catch the subway to Eglinton Ave but I am having a hard time figuring this all out?

I've done some searching but it is clear as mud to me. I've never been on a subway in my life that I recall but I think this is my best option instead of driving? I also heard where I have to go, parking is absolutely brutal so that is another reason why I don't want to drive.

I assume I can get on a subway train at Union and head straight north from there or is it a little more complicated than that? My appt is on Eglinton Ave East. If I am reading what I have seen correctly, the subway goes to Eglinton ave west? How far of a walk, approx, will it be to the east side of Eglinton?

Thanks in advance. :bc:

You need to take the yonge line...Not spadina.

Connection for all is at union station. Follow signs, ask some folks for Yonge subway line. Same as the Spadina line but one direction goes to the west (spadina) the other east (yonge). Subway is a simple u shape with Union at the bottom

You will pop out at Yonge/Eglinton...which corner who knows.

Is appt close to yonge?

Edited by JohnnyB

1 hour ago, Bigfish said:

Correct Irv

Check out this site  https://www.ttc.ca/Subway/interactive_map/interactive_map.jsp#

Eglinton splits east/west at Yonge st, the subway is at Eglinton and Yonge, depending on what the address is for your appt you can either walk east on Eglinton or take a bus if it's too far to walk

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

You need to take the yonge line...Not spadina.

Connection for all is at union station. Follow signs, ask some folks for Yonge subway line. Same as the Spadina line but one direction goes to the west (spadina) the other east (yonge). Subway is a simple u shape with Union at the bottom

You will pop out at Yonge/Eglinton...which corner who knows.

Is appt close to yonge?

The address is 234 Eglinton ave east. Using Google maps, the directions tell me to head south on Younge to Eglinton but the pic shows Eglinton north of me?? 

I just want the easiest, non transfer route possible to near where I have to go. I don't mind walking a bit if that is required? I really appreciate the info guys. The subway is all new to me as I have never used one in my life. 

Thanks. :bc:

Eglinton.png

Edited by irv

1 hour ago, irv said:

The address is 234 Eglinton ave east. Using Google maps, the directions tell me to head south on Younge to Eglinton but the pic shows Eglinton north of me?? 

I just want the easiest, non transfer route possible to near where I have to go. I don't mind walking a bit if that is required? I really appreciate the info guys. The subway is all new to me as I have never used one in my life. 

Thanks. :bc:

Eglinton.png

From Union   both trains go north lol kind of confusing

Take Yonge - Finch line to Eglington - get off and a short walk to your appointment - if you decide to stay later the bar at Mt. Pleasant on Eglington is a huge cougar bar, can't remember the new name of it...  Its right on the corner

Enjoy the ride, the new cars with end to end view is pretty cool 

2 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

Take Yonge - Finch line to Eglinton - get off and a short walk to your appointment - if you decide to stay later the bar at Mt. Pleasant on Eglington is a huge cougar bar, can't remember the new name of it...  Its right on the corner

Thanks Trail. I think I'll skip the bar however. :bc:

8 minutes ago, Renegade X said:

Drive! It will save you a few hours.  Took my kid on the subway last year to a blue jays game and it was gross.  Unless your going to a AA meeting and don't have a license lol

Save a few hours, in the morning rush hour traffic? I am only guessing, but I would assume the Go Train/subway will be much quicker, let alone dealing with parking! 

14 minutes ago, irv said:

Thanks Trail. I think I'll skip the bar however. :bc:

Save a few hours, in the morning rush hour traffic? I am only guessing, but I would assume the Go Train/subway will be much quicker, let alone dealing with parking! 

You could drive to Finch Station and park there for 5$ I think - parking lot is massive

But yeah coming from your end traffic is pretty bad up too 9am

4 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

You could drive to Finch Station and park there for 5$ I think - parking lot is massive

But yeah coming from your end traffic is pretty bad up too 9am

It's brutal and it gets worse everyday!! :guzzle:

Just to clarify, I can hop on the subway right in Union Station, right? 

7 minutes ago, 1trailmaker said:

Yes its under the Union Train Station 

Easy to find once I'm in Union station off the train?

1 minute ago, 1trailmaker said:

Well its a big building, follow the crowd.  

Its like lookcing for GAS in an area you never been in, you will find it 

:bc:

4 hours ago, 1trailmaker said:

Take Yonge - Finch line to Eglington - get off and a short walk to your appointment - if you decide to stay later the bar at Mt. Pleasant on Eglington is a huge cougar bar, can't remember the new name of it...  Its right on the corner

Ok Leisure Suit Larry, tell us about your experience in the cougar bar?

:lol:

Hey Irv Eglinton is a under construction for the new subway line.  Avoid driving Eglinton no matter what you do.  Yonge and Mt Pleasant has a station being built and is completely ripped up.  Depending on time of day i have found parking very easily on Mt Pleasant just north of Eglinton. There is street parking about 3 blocks up.  Normally around 10am to 2 pm I have found parking.

What time is your appointment?

59 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Hey Irv Eglinton is a under construction for the new subway line.  Avoid driving Eglinton no matter what you do.  Yonge and Mt Pleasant has a station being built and is completely ripped up.  Depending on time of day i have found parking very easily on Mt Pleasant just north of Eglinton. There is street parking about 3 blocks up.  Normally around 10am to 2 pm I have found parking.

What time is your appointment?

I have to be there by 9:30 in the morning. I am going to take the train from Whitby to Union station then hop on the subway to Younge/Eglington then walk the rest of the way which is about 5 to 7 minutes according to the info I found. 

Do you foresee any issues with that plan?

Edited by irv

57 minutes ago, irv said:

I have to be there by 9:30 in the morning. I am going to take the train from Whitby to Union station then hop on the subway to Younge/Eglington then walk the rest of the way which is about 5 to 7 minutes according to the info I found. 

Do you foresee any issues with that plan?

No issues. Should be an easy trip.  The sidewalks are all open along Eglinton.

19 minutes ago, Sksman said:

No issues. Should be an easy trip.  The sidewalks are all open along Eglinton.

Good to hear!

Thanks for the info. :bc:

1 hour ago, irv said:

Good to hear!

Thanks for the info. :bc:

Its amazing the amount and size of some of the equipment that is working in some very tight spaces building the new subway stations.  The crews have been working in very tight areas and the traffic lanes have been flipped bach and forth.  Working around existing utilities that are being moved around to accomodate the drilled piles.  

Check out the drill rig working at Mt Pleasant and Eglinton.     Liebherr LB 44.  175tonnes working weight.  

10 hours ago, Sksman said:

Its amazing the amount and size of some of the equipment that is working in some very tight spaces building the new subway stations.  The crews have been working in very tight areas and the traffic lanes have been flipped bach and forth.  Working around existing utilities that are being moved around to accomodate the drilled piles.  

Check out the drill rig working at Mt Pleasant and Eglinton.     Liebherr LB 44.  175tonnes working weight.  

I'll be sure to check it all out. Here's a Liebherr crane for you. :bc:

Darlington construction-234-.jpg

Darlington site from West to North to East, October 1986 (1).jpg

Speical crane used to lift Steam Generators into position, March 1986.jpg

Edited by irv

On 10/5/2018 at 4:35 PM, irv said:

Easy to find once I'm in Union station off the train?

Union station is under construction. Compared to a year ago it is a little easier to get thru but you really have to follow the signs. A month ago I had an appointment at Princess Margaret  hospital. Was OK going there but on my way back I missed the non existent signs when I got off the subway. Trying to get back to the UP express and I ended up out on the street. It was one of those days that was 1000degrees with 110 percent humidity.  Wasn't real happy wandering around not really knowing what direction I was going or how to get back to the UP express. T.O. sucks.

Edited by 2strokemerc

5 hours ago, 2strokemerc said:

Union station is under construction. Compared to a year ago it is a little easier to get thru but you really have to follow the signs. A month ago I had an appointment at Princess Margaret  hospital. Was OK going there but on my way back I missed the non existent signs when I got off the subway. Trying to get back to the UP express and I ended up out on the street. It was one of those days that was 1000degrees with 110 percent humidity.  Wasn't real happy wandering around not really knowing what direction I was going or how to get back to the UP express. T.O. sucks.

I seen that last Wednesday but it wasn't a problem for me as I just had to exit Union Station. This Wednesday will likely be different as I have to fins the subway. The more I think about things, the more I think I will leave a little earlier than I planned originally just because I have never used a subway train before.