Want to water lawn for 24 hours.

starting and stopping is whats hard on motors/pumps. running 24 hours straight is easier on it than starting and stopping it 10 times. id imagine it wouldnt actually run non stop though and it would just cycle every few minutes. 

I routinely run my well for 12-18 hours. If it's real dry that could be 3-4 days a week. Watering around 3 acres of grass. Pump is original 30 years old.

My answer is just run the fuckin thing. :bc:

2 hours ago, Cumulus Nimbus said:

Front of house the ground is hard as a rock. I want to water it for a good long while and get it softened up then put a little topsoil on and overseed it. Will running my well pump continually for that long hurt it?

No it won't hurt the pump, when I water my lawn it takes 3 moves of the sprinklers to do the whole lawn, and for each move I water that area for 24 hours as that mimics a good soaking rain. I have never watered my lawn more than twice a season using that method as it encourages deep root growth and my lawn always has a luscious green look.

Edited by Mileage Psycho

• Platinum Contributing Member

Seed might not take if you don't loosen the topsoil up some.   Just adding a bit to the top generally won't work and definitely won't allow good root depth.  

If you want to seed not but not start from scratch aerate your lawn.  Closer the hole spacing the better.   Add seed then use a mat drag to break up the cores back into the holes with the seed.  

Generally speaking often wells are on water veins that lead to much larger pools of water.  Unless you are in a severe drought chances are you won't dry up your vein.   If its an extremely deep well to a an aquifer not a chance to dry it up. 

Edited by Highmark

Pending the type of grass you have just aerating can spur new growth as Kentucky Blue and Rye's will fill in.

Did you apply any spring or fall crab/weed premergence?  If you did you definitely will have to scratch up or core the surface.

Edited by Highmark

23 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Screw the lawn.

Blasphemy!  

My yard would make August National proud.  :lol2:

11 hours ago, n2oiroc said:

starting and stopping is whats hard on motors/pumps. running 24 hours straight is easier on it than starting and stopping it 10 times. id imagine it wouldnt actually run non stop though and it would just cycle every few minutes. 

The pump doesn't run non-stop, well systems have a pressure tank or they should to prevent that.