First snowmobile?

I think my first sled ride was in 1962 or 1963 or so on one of the original wood ski Skidogs, my first new sled was a 1977 Polaris SS340 Colt, I was 17, couple years after I bought 1979 Polaris TX 340.....40 years later I have another new sled on deck..2017 XCR800...time has flown by....

• Like 1

xmass morning  brand new 1972 kitty cat

then when I was 8 I got grandmas 72 292 lynx

then at 10 gramps old 73 440 puma

then at 11 a brand new 1980 blue 300 enticer.I road that thing till I was 19yrs old. then the debt that goes with the need for speed started

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, toslow said:

not my sled, but i had one just like it was my first,  i think it cost around 1200 new

Image result for 1969 ski-doo 16cc elan

Those Elans were a lot of fun to ride when I was a kid. A buddy of mine went through all three of his Dads Elans by beating the crap out of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Contributing Member

My first sled was an Elan too. A '71 250 single. We lived at the very edge of town on a dead end street and I circled the field next to the house about a million times.

Next was another Elan with the 250 Twin. Then a '73 292 Silver Bullet. I got a '79 ET300 for my 16th birthday. It was used but the former owner only put one tank of fuel through it. I rode that until I was 20 and my dad decided to sell all the sleds and buy a bigger camper to travel south in the winters.

My sister riding the Elan single and me on the Silver Bullet.

Old sleds.jpg

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Contributing Member

Me on my first sled. Only picture I have of it and not even sure what model it was but I wouldn't mind finding a nice restored one somewhere.

Anyone recognize the sled? 335 Nordic?

is_00081.jpg

first '70 12/3 Ski-doo that I bought in '75 with lawn mowing money for $150, next was a Tnt 340 which I bought, while not the same one I have a '72 Tnt 340 that I picked up off ebay

• 5 months later...
On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎07 at 5:20 PM, Blackstar said:

My first sled was an Elan too. A '71 250 single. We lived at the very edge of town on a dead end street and I circled the field next to the house about a million times.

Next was another Elan with the 250 Twin. Then a '73 292 Silver Bullet. I got a '79 ET300 for my 16th birthday. It was used but the former owner only put one tank of fuel through it. I rode that until I was 20 and my dad decided to sell all the sleds and buy a bigger camper to travel south in the winters.

My sister riding the Elan single and me on the Silver Bullet.

Old sleds.jpg

I remember 73 well when we got a silver bullet, coming off the one lung heavy ski whizz I thought nothing in world had more power than that ski doo..I was in heaven that winter...when it ran, which was about half the time. Turned out to be a big pain in the ass compared to the ever reliable massey.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

1968 Skippy Doo Super Olympique (french spelling) I put what seemed like a zillion miles on that pile,pierced the built in gas tank on a hunk of steel frozen in to the ground in a farmers field walked home,broke a drive chain walked home,blew the spark plug outa the cylinder head walked home,the crank got sloppy in the case chewed metal off the internal coils walked home,loved that sled rode the shit outa it.Joe

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2018 at 5:21 PM, Slow Joe said:

1968 Skippy Doo Super Olympique (french spelling) I put what seemed like a zillion miles on that pile,pierced the built in gas tank on a hunk of steel frozen in to the ground in a farmers field walked home,broke a drive chain walked home,blew the spark plug outa the cylinder head walked home,the crank got sloppy in the case chewed metal off the internal coils walked home,loved that sled rode the shit outa it.Joe

So the Doo reliability hasn't changed....lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My first sled 71 Moto ski Capri 338. A 30 mile ride without a break down wasn't very common. I'm sure my suit had more fuel drenched in the crotch then what went into the engine. Could wear out a glove in one week... Constantly adjusting the high speed jet on the carb.

Next up was in a whole different ball game. 74 340 F/A. 

Screenshot_2019-02-13-20-02-17-1.png

Screenshot_2019-02-13-20-06-04-1.png

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, bladefever said:

My first sled 71 Moto ski Capri 338.

Absolutely the best snomo commercial ever was the Moto Ski tearing it up in the summer down a rock strewn stream french man drivin the shit out of it and at the end,MOTO SKI built in La Pocatiere Quebec i thought that was the coolest ever.Joe

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bladefever said:

Next up was in a whole different ball game. 74 340 F/A. 

The original primary was a Polaris knock off that flew apart and ate belts at a alarming rate till Bombardier gave a replacement square shaft,that was better till the Polar Fire CDI packed it in they were a decent sled but the ski leg posts were weak and sometimes would fold in.Joe

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Slow Joe said:

The original primary was a Polaris knock off that flew apart and ate belts at a alarming rate till Bombardier gave a replacement square shaft,that was better till the Polar Fire CDI packed it in they were a decent sled but the ski leg posts were weak and sometimes would fold in.Joe

Yeah the HP clutch wasn't very durable. Had to relocate the polar fire off the engine. The heat would kill them. 73 had the aluminum front frame. 74 were steel and not as prone to cracking. Had to remove the suspension to rivet the sliders on. Which were very thin replaced them with Ski Roule sliders about 3x as thick as the skidoo ones.

The F/A was my first and only Skidoo. The Midnight Blue Express was the only sensible option.....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Slow Joe said:

Absolutely the best snomo commercial ever was the Moto Ski tearing it up in the summer down a rock strewn stream french man drivin the shit out of it and at the end,MOTO SKI built in La Pocatiere Quebec i thought that was the coolest ever.Joe

Also they did a commercial on a roller coaster. I think it was the Flyer at the CNE.  Moto Ski built tough.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bladefever said:

The Midnight Blue Express was the only sensible option.....

A wise choice indeed wont argue that,1977 sat and watched as young Jerry Bunke at the Kawartha Cup took everyone to school man Polaris had their game faces on I will do some diggin I think i still  have pics of the pit area unfortunately a ton of great era photos were lost to a fire a number of years back,I attended the cup most years and enjoyed the days of the high bank when that crazy frenchman Yvon tore ass around great times.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...