What killed the triple?

Ok so weight can't be the issue ,with today's turbos ....maybe the success of the one of the best twins ,the 98 xc700? Why can't we have another modern triple? I would gladly own one again ,despite the manufacturer . Just don't understand the manufacturers today  ,and why are there no proper small bore sleds for beginners anymore ? It's like jump from a 90 straight to a 600... wtf 

Modern twins reaching close to or more hp than the triple without the weight and 33% less rotational mass and moving parts.  The old triples just fell out of favor with most of the public and all of the manufacturers.  It'd still be neat to have a special limited edition come out, one from each of the manus.  It'd be a limited build and prolly a ridiculous price, but I'd bet they'd sell as long as the build was limited.  This would probably only happen only if the manus wanted a "no or low profit" machine.

Marketing, cost, and mostly the ability to make pipes that make hp. fit under the modern hood with rider forward and high shock towers. I only ride  800 XCR based sleds, I have a 2003 XCR a 2003 XC/XCR and a 2009 IQR/XCR, I love being able to cruise at 70 or 80 with great reliability and the acceleration from 80 and up. Doubtful they will come back given the poorer sales the last few years and the fact they can make more profit from twins.

15 hours ago, xcr700 said:

Ok so weight can't be the issue ,with today's turbos ....maybe the success of the one of the best twins ,the 98 xc700? Why can't we have another modern triple? I would gladly own one again ,despite the manufacturer . Just don't understand the manufacturers today  ,and why are there no proper small bore sleds for beginners anymore ? It's like jump from a 90 straight to a 600... wtf 

I think that is the motor that started the transition to lightweight twins. I still love the sound of a properly tuned triple :thumb: 

10 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Modern twins reaching close to or more hp than the triple without the weight and 33% less rotational mass and moving parts.  The old triples just fell out of favor with most of the public and all of the manufacturers.  It'd still be neat to have a special limited edition come out, one from each of the manus.  It'd be a limited build and prolly a ridiculous price, but I'd bet they'd sell as long as the build was limited.  This would probably only happen only if the manus wanted a "no or low profit" machine.

Very true 

7 hours ago, 1jkw said:

Marketing, cost, and mostly the ability to make pipes that make hp. fit under the modern hood with rider forward and high shock towers. I only ride  800 XCR based sleds, I have a 2003 XCR a 2003 XC/XCR and a 2009 IQR/XCR, I love being able to cruise at 70 or 80 with great reliability and the acceleration from 80 and up. Doubtful they will come back given the poorer sales the last few years and the fact they can make more profit from twins.

Again, very true 

1 hour ago, ckf said:

I think that is the motor that started the transition to lightweight twins. I still love the sound of a properly tuned triple :thumb: 

I owned both a 98 xcr700 and a 98 xc700 . Bought them both new,sold the xc after 4 years and just sold my triple in 13 with 15k on it lol. Miss both horribly

6 minutes ago, xcr700 said:

I owned both a 98 xcr700 and a 98 xc700 . Bought them both new,sold the xc after 4 years and just sold my triple in 13 with 15k on it lol. Miss both horribly

A buddy of mine bought a '98 XC-700 new. Great sled with lots of torque. I still love the looks of that sled. I wanted the XC-600 at the time, but the old lady was working at a GM dealership at the time that also owned a powersports shop that sold Ski-Doo. I couldn't pass up the deal so I bought a '98 MXZ-583 instead.

Oh, thanks for posting a thread in the General Snowmobile Forum :thumb:

IMO when snow cross gained popularity the writing was on the wall for the triples.  The industry shifed to lighter, snow cross style sleds with big suspensions instead of big top end speeds.  Would love to see a triple piped two stroke with modern tech from any one of the manufacturers.  

3 hours ago, ckf said:

A buddy of mine bought a '98 XC-700 new. Great sled with lots of torque. I still love the looks of that sled. I wanted the XC-600 at the time, but the old lady was working at a GM dealership at the time that also owned a powersports shop that sold Ski-Doo. I couldn't pass up the deal so I bought a '98 MXZ-583 instead.

Oh, thanks for posting a thread in the General Snowmobile Forum :thumb:

Those 98 xc700 were pretty awesome.  Mine put a hurt on quite a few sleds lol. Still remember my bro trying to gear snd clutch his 98 formula z 670 so he could keep up to me xD

Buddy had a 583. Was a great sled. Lasted forever.  I think it's still fartin around,  all original still.

On the bold....:friends:

2 hours ago, 45th parallel said:

The fact the manufacturers kept them in old chassis made them fall out of favor imp

That didn't help either 

• Like 1

I would love to see Polaris come out with a 800 and1000 triple based off the old XCR 800 with the latest technology the 800 could be 190 hp with reliability and the 1000  215 hp reliable as well.

2 hours ago, stealth bomber said:

IMO when snow cross gained popularity the writing was on the wall for the triples.  The industry shifed to lighter, snow cross style sleds with big suspensions instead of big top end speeds.  Would love to see a triple piped two stroke with modern tech from any one of the manufacturers.  

Makes sense ,but there's room for lake turbos in the market.  I also would love to see a modern triple . I think if there's a market for turbos, there has a be one for the triples 

13 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

I would love to see Polaris come out with a 800 and1000 triple based off the old XCR 800 with the latest technology the 800 could be 190 hp with reliability and the 1000  215 hp reliable as well.

Holy shit,would that be awesome 

5 hours ago, ckf said:

Around here it seemed like XLT's outnumbered the RXL's by at least 20 to 1 back then :dunno:  

Same here, but it did seem like the better sled?  

There's no denying the thunder cat and 800 xcr were the lake eaters tho lol

3 minutes ago, xcr700 said:

Fuckin sweeeeet.  :lol:

I don't think that's what the owner was saying as he rode off.  Looked very unstable and rather un-fun.  But it was cool to look at and I think it won an "Originality Award" at this show.  It looked like it was from the damn factory!  Really well engineered.  

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I don't think that's what the owner was saying as he rode off.  Looked very unstable and rather un-fun.  But it was cool to look at and I think it won an "Originality Award" at this show.  It looked like it was from the damn factory!  Really well engineered.  

Yeah.. the furthest I'd ride that thang would be 15 feet. ...in a straight line